Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why doesn't Sacramento St enjoy FBS level support?
Fighting Muskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio St, MAC
Why doesn't Sacramento St enjoy FBS level support?
I've always wondered why Sacramento St doesn't have FBS level support and an FBS level program. It's in a decent television market and it's only professional sports competition is the NBA. The Cal St system is much easier to get into than the UC system so you would think they would have a broader appeal to Northern California audiences. The stadium isn't a terrible size.why has there never been a push to join fellow Cal St programs San Jose St, Fresno St, and San Diego St in FBS.

anyone on the west coast have some insights? Is it all budget related?
05-13-2017 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

1IvyDog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Fresno State
RE: Why doesn't Sacramento St enjoy FBS level support?
(05-13-2017 05:19 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I've always wondered why Sacramento St doesn't have FBS level support and an FBS level program. It's in a decent television market and it's only professional sports competition is the NBA. The Cal St system is much easier to get into than the UC system so you would think they would have a broader appeal to Northern California audiences. The stadium isn't a terrible size.why has there never been a push to join fellow Cal St programs San Jose St, Fresno St, and San Diego St in FBS.

No money, support, or interest. Only San Diego and Fresno have the fans or financial support. San Jose has no fan support and little financial support , they have to rely on a high percentage of institutional support.
05-13-2017 05:36 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(05-13-2017 05:36 PM)1IvyDog Wrote:  
(05-13-2017 05:19 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I've always wondered why Sacramento St doesn't have FBS level support and an FBS level program. It's in a decent television market and it's only professional sports competition is the NBA. The Cal St system is much easier to get into than the UC system so you would think they would have a broader appeal to Northern California audiences. The stadium isn't a terrible size.why has there never been a push to join fellow Cal St programs San Jose St, Fresno St, and San Diego St in FBS.

No money, support, or interest. Only San Diego and Fresno have the fans or financial support. San Jose has no fan support and little financial support , they have to rely on a high percentage of institutional support.

Either you have great fans or you don't.

With SDSU and Fresno both have great fans. You see it in basketball not just football.

Men's basketball average:

San Diego St. 12,209 (national rank #29)
Fresno St. 6,296 (national rank #84)
Sacramento St. 859

D1 schools that average under 1,000 at home have no real fan support.
05-13-2017 05:58 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
UC-Davis is 20 miles to the West and a more prestigious institution with deeper pockets.

Is Sacramento State mostly a commuter school?
05-13-2017 06:19 PM

NoDak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UND
Sac St has never won the Big Sky and rarely won in DII. Of the ten coaches, only one has a winning record and just barely. They started fb in the 1950's and it's rather amazing it survived when most of the other Cal States dropped fb.

UC Davis hasn't done anything either since they moved to FCS 15 years ago. Cal Poly has been good but not outstanding in the more than 20 years of FCS.

Sac ST still doesn't have plans to move out of its Jr High gym, so facilities are not at all DI level. It only has 1600 housing units on campus, so the commuter school tag is well deserved. The alumni don't seem to demand excellence in athletics, so it doesn't have a groundswell for winning to happen.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 09:41 PM by NoDak.)
05-13-2017 08:29 PM
billybobby777 Offline
Fighting the cartel 5

I Root For: ECU, Army
Isn't their basketball arena the one that looks like a middle school gymnasium?
05-13-2017 10:13 PM
Blitz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
(05-13-2017 05:36 PM)1IvyDog Wrote:  

I have to take issue with 2 of those assertions, at least as they apply to Cal Poly (SLO): I would not say that Cal Poly is easier to get into than the UCs (except Cal), nor would I say the UCs have better financial support.

Case in point:
https://admissions.calpoly.edu/prospective/profile.html

https://calcoastnews.com/2016/12/cal-pol...lications/

https://magazine.calpoly.edu/news/cal-po...paign=gift

That said, Sac State is not Cal Poly.
05-13-2017 10:21 PM

shizzle787 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
The better question is when will Sacramento St. drop football?
Overall, California is a basketball state, not a football state.
05-13-2017 10:23 PM
_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
It would make sense for either CSUS or Davis to have FBS football. That region is underserved when it comes to high level football. This isn't like Long Beach or Fullerton State dropping in a sea of NFL and college football.
05-14-2017 12:50 AM
DavidSt Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
There is one thing Sacramento State have made news about. They beat an FBS opponent. I think what keeps them from winning in football could be injuries and not deep in backups that are good. All three Big Sky California members have won against FBS opponents. They might need a better regional setup with more schools to compete against. Azusa Pacific and Humboldt State to FCS might help.
05-14-2017 01:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.