Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Jason Smith said Conzo Martin is on since they can't get the Memphis staff to come on
Bookmark and Share
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Jason Smith said Conzo Martin is on since they can't get the Memphis staff to come on
Added they might as well have every other staff in America on since the Memphis staff wont . Why won't they do PR? There has to be a reason - right? Anyway Jason said this after saying that other coaches are saying its 'open season' now for Memphis area recruits. Clearly Tubby doesn't see PR as part of his responsibilities but doesn't he see thr potential harm both with recruiting and among the fan base?
05-12-2017 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
RE: Jason Smith said Conzo Martin is on since they can't get the Memphis staff to come on
It's not like Tubby has compensation built into his salary for making public appearances.
05-12-2017 10:21 AM
Unbreakable04 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Jason Smith said Conzo Martin is on since they can't get the Memphis staff to come on
If you were in his shoes, would you waste your time going on a show with those two asshats when all they've practically done on that station is trash the program and Tubby for the past month? What does he gain/lose by not going on this mediocre show?
05-12-2017 10:22 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
*Cuonzo
05-12-2017 10:23 AM
pwman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
I could agree with you about not going on their show --IF HE DID ANY PR ANYWHERE ELSE!
05-12-2017 10:25 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
(05-12-2017 10:22 AM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  If you were in his shoes, would you waste your time going on a show with those two asshats when all they've practically done on that station is trash the program and Tubby for the past month? What does he gain/lose by not going on this mediocre show?

People still listen to that show? With all the thousands of podcast options that you can listen to without commercials?

Nothing against those guys, they seem to work hard. But why waste your time?
05-12-2017 10:30 AM
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2017 10:25 AM)pwman Wrote:  I could agree with you about not going on their show --IF HE DID ANY PR ANYWHERE ELSE!

True. I've heard Gregg Marshall on Memphis radio more in the last month than I've heard Tubby in the last year.
05-12-2017 10:37 AM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
NTR.
05-12-2017 10:41 AM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(05-12-2017 10:22 AM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  If you were in his shoes, would you waste your time going on a show with those two asshats when all they've practically done on that station is trash the program and Tubby for the past month? What does he gain/lose by not going on this mediocre show?

It was Orlando's action which created the situation where EVERY media outlet in town are questioning his desires to recruit and do what is needed in this job.

Cannot use a situation you created as a shield to hide behind.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
This was an issue with Kentucky fans r/t Tubby. 84 WHAS talks Louisville and KY basketball and football year round around the clock, but they could NEVER get Tubby involved. And that was after Pitino trying to "rebuild" (his approach anyway) post probation was all about energizing the fan base and using interviews to educate fan base. Pitino also can flat out break down a game. So Tubby never lived up.

Didn't think Tubby would be criticized about this--THIS early in his tenure. LOVE that we are being vocal for wanting more. Hope it helps.....in general. If the need is there-media will capitalize. But, NOBODY is going to get Tubby's stuborn @$$ engaging with.....anyone. He's a poor marketer and recruiter due to this issue.

Hate to say it.....I've always been jealous of Louisville (town) and how active their fans are. Radio is supported 24/7/365 to cover college sports. There are UofL and UK gear stores in every shopping center. MEMPHIS radio shows all day every day, MEMPHIS apparel stores all over the city would be great.

AND I CANNOT BELIEVE WE HIRED TUBBY! Here. 03-banghead Was great hire for Texas Tech, Tulsa, GA, Minn....not traditional bball programs....
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
Josh did the shows constantly. When he started losing games and players, it didn't matter how many times he had done radio spots.

If Tubby wins, radio appearances won't matter. Same if he loses. Can't blame him for not going on these shows.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 11:41 AM by Tigx.)
05-12-2017 10:45 AM
Advertisement

tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins

Absolutely. He is losing the fan base at a record rate. He needs to fight, but he insulates himself more.

Has a coach lost this much of the fan base in a year before? We are watching a living example of what not to do. Tell the fan base the program isn't what it once was and won't be that again...stay away from the media and public...hire a close family member and don't demand excellence in their role. Surround yourself with yes men that sing your praises. Follow a coach who had several players transfer and was pushed out by having even more players transfer after year 1. Some may be other's fault...maybe Lawson wasn't a good fit...maybe the fan base has too high expectations...

At some point, it's not everyone and everything else that's the problem. The common denominator is where the buck stops. That's with Tubby. We are watching ineptitude.

You usually get a nice bump in attendance after a new coach in Memphis. See Cal and Pastner. Tubby had a small bump year 1. Who believes we will have more in attendance in year 2? What about Tubby have you seen that makes you believe year 3 will be great?
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 10:49 AM by tigerjamesc.)
05-12-2017 10:45 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

(05-12-2017 10:41 AM)gusrob Wrote:  This was an issue with Kentucky fans r/t Tubby. 84 WHAS talks Louisville and KY basketball and football year round around the clock, but they could NEVER get Tubby involved. And that was after Pitino trying to "rebuild" (his approach anyway) post probation was all about energizing the fan base and using interviews to educate fan base. Pitino also can flat out break down a game. So Tubby never lived up.

Didn't think Tubby would be criticized about this--THIS early in his tenure. LOVE that we are being vocal for wanting more. Hope it helps.....in general. If the need is there-media will capitalize. But, NOBODY is going to get Tubby's stuborn @$$ engaging with.....anyone. He's a poor marketer and recruiter due to this issue.

Hate to say it.....I've always been jealous of Louisville (town) and how active their fans are. Radio is supported 24/7/365 to cover college sports. There are UofL and UK gear stores in every shopping center. MEMPHIS radio shows all day every day, MEMPHIS apparel stores all over the city would be great.

AND I CANNOT BELIEVE WE HIRED TUBBY! Here. 03-banghead Was great hire for Texas Tech, Tulsa, GA, Minn....not traditional bball programs....
Couldn't agree more. I said at the time I didn't think we could go any lower after Paz until we hired Tubby. Bad hire
05-12-2017 10:49 AM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

Jason Smith said Conzo Martin is on since they can't get the Memphis staff to...
(05-12-2017 10:45 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  

Absolutely. He is losing the fan base at a record rate. He needs to fight, but he insulates himself more.

Has a coach lost this much of the fan base in a year before? We are watching a living example of what not to do. Tell the fan base the program isn't what it once was and won't be that again...stay away from the media and public...hire a close family member and don't demand excellence in their role. Surround yourself with yes men that sing your praises. Follow a coach who had several players transfer and was pushed out by having even more players transfer after year 1. Some may be other's fault...maybe Lawson wasn't a good fit...maybe the fan base has too high expectations...

At some point, it's not everyone and everything else that's the problem. The common denominator is where the buck stops. That's with Tubby. We are watching ineptitude.

You usually get a nice bump in attendance after a new coach in Memphis. See Cal and Pastner. Tubby had a small bump year 1. Who believes we will have more in attendance in year 2? What about Tubby have you seen that makes you believe year 3 will be great?

Win and fans will come
The key is the '18 class. Get us back to the tourney and nobody will care if he goes on radio shows or not.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 10:49 AM by tiger1016.)
05-12-2017 10:49 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2017 10:45 AM)Tigx Wrote:  Josh did the shows constantly. When he started losing games and players, it didn't matter how many times he had done radio spots.

If Tubby wins, radio appearances won't matter. Same is he loses. Can't blame him for not going on these shows.

I disagree.

This is the town of Elvis, Lawler, Mongo, Issac, Kirk, Cal, King Willie, and on and on.

If you aren't out there making a show, people will forget you exist.
05-12-2017 10:54 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

(05-12-2017 10:49 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  

Win and fans will come
The key is the '18 class. Get us back to the tourney and nobody will care if he goes on radio shows or not.
Completely agree, BUT all we have to go on is what he's done so far and I cannot fathom it going worse within reason. I didn't believe he was a good hire at the time, but I thought he'd do better than this over his first season and a half. He's now into his second off season and is doing nothing to inspire confidence.

Does anyone believe he will win big next year? If he doesn't win, does anyone believe year 3 will be better? Tubby himself doesn't believe he can recruit at a high level here. How many times does a coach have to tell you himself that he can't compete at Memphis before we as fans start believing him
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 11:00 AM by tigerjamesc.)
05-12-2017 10:57 AM
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2017 10:49 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 10:41 AM)gusrob Wrote:  This was an issue with Kentucky fans r/t Tubby. 84 WHAS talks Louisville and KY basketball and football year round around the clock, but they could NEVER get Tubby involved. And that was after Pitino trying to "rebuild" (his approach anyway) post probation was all about energizing the fan base and using interviews to educate fan base. Pitino also can flat out break down a game. So Tubby never lived up.

Couldn't agree more. I said at the time I didn't think we could go any lower after Paz until we hired Tubby. Bad hire

Add the lack of effort on the PR side to his comments about lowering the recruiting expectations at Memphis and its a real bad look for both high quality recruits and fans. Especially during a period when we need something closer to the opposite.
05-12-2017 10:58 AM
Unbreakable04 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Jason Smith said Conzo Martin is on since they can't get the Memphis staff

Well, for one, I am appreciative of the fact he is not letting the inmates run the asylum anymore. Will it affect us in the short-term because of the transfers, of course, we won't have as talented of a team in '17 on paper as we would have with those players. However, those same players could never get us to the NIT while having to cater to a "high school" coach.

I'm aware Tubby could do many things to improve his image in the community. But I also don't think he should waste his time catering to the "John & John" show which is a horrid excuse of a radio program. He has brought a lot of this on himself BUT time will tell as to what direction the program will trend. If he is able to put a product on the floor that wins, plays together as a team and shows progress for the upcoming '18 season, along with snagging a few recruits from Memphis and outside the city, then all will be well and the needle will be moving in a positive direction.

Josh got to the point where he was on radio show after radio show spewing the same rhetoric about Tiger Nation year after year, yet couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. His same routine grew tiresome, now could Tubby help himself by being out in the community more, sure, but "if" he wins all of this is irrelevant. "If" he loses we know what the outcome will be and he'll be gone after year 3. Would this cool the fanbase in the short-term by doing a radio show, possibly, but we know damn well everyone will micro-analyze every statement he makes and pick it apart.

I, personally, wouldn't waste my time speaking to these clowns or GP whose shtick has become routine and boring. If he wins, and wins his way, all these people will look like fools. If he loses, and loses his way, then he will be the fool. Time will tell and life will go on.
05-12-2017 11:06 AM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

Jason Smith said Conzo Martin is on since they can't get the Memphis staff to...
(05-12-2017 10:57 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 10:49 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  

Win and fans will come
Completely agree, BUT all we have to go on is what he's done so far and I cannot fathom it going worse within reason. I didn't believe he was a good hire at the time, but I thought he'd do better than this over his first season and a half. He's now into his second off season and is doing nothing to inspire confidence.

Does anyone believe he will win big next year? If he doesn't win, does anyone believe year 3 will be better? Tubby himself doesn't believe he can recruit at a high level here. How many times does a coach have to tell you himself that he can't compete at Memphis before we as fans start believing him

Let's see how the '18 class turns out. The staff is recruiting Lomax and other well regarded players. I'm not gonna stress out yet.

As for next year, I would be happy with any post season tournament (NIT or NCAA) after 3 straight non-postseasons
05-12-2017 11:07 AM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

Other than some on this board and, of course, the local "media", no one cares. It's crap radio with C list hosts. I wouldn't waste my time either....
05-12-2017 11:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.