Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is a remodeled Dayton Arena a prerequisite for a Big East bid
NoDak Offline
All American

I Root For: UND
Is a remodeled Dayton Arena a prerequisite for a Big East bid
Dayton is spending $72 mill on remodeling the UD arena. It seems needed even to keep the NCAA first round games, but will it put UD over the top for a Big East bid?

transformudarena.com
05-11-2017 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Is a remodeled Dayton Arena a prerequisite for a Big East bid
Unfortunately, the biggest thing that Dayton can do to get a Big East bid is something that they can't control, which is to be located somewhere other than Dayton, Ohio.
05-11-2017 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hoops22 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: big east
Good video. Hope they get the invite one day.
05-11-2017 08:48 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
looks like it will be really nice
05-11-2017 08:55 PM

_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
(05-11-2017 07:45 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Unfortunately, the biggest thing that Dayton can do to get a Big East bid is something that they can't control, which is to be located somewhere other than Dayton, Ohio.

Yeah, because Creighton or even Xavier a few miles away is a hop skip and jump from NYC.
05-11-2017 09:20 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(05-11-2017 09:20 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 07:45 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Unfortunately, the biggest thing that Dayton can do to get a Big East bid is something that they can't control, which is to be located somewhere other than Dayton, Ohio.

Yeah, because Creighton or even Xavier a few miles away is a hop skip and jump from NYC.

I think he was speaking from the perspective that Dayton isn't exactly a bustling market of opportunity. It's not like Omaha or Providence are either, but PC is a longtime member while Creighton was in the right place at the right time.

I wouldn't think of it as a pre-req though, more like the price of admission if they do get an invite. And the chances of that happening will be a little bit higher with these renovations, although having another team around as a logical addition to the Big East to put the league at an even dozen wouldn't hurt.
05-11-2017 10:32 PM
johnintx Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Oklahoma

I think Frank is right on the location. Dayton is in market #64, and also within shouting distance of Cincinnati and Columbus. Also, isn't Xavier now blocking Dayton's entry to the Big East?

I love it when similar schools group themselves into the same conference. Birds of a feather flock together. I remember being disappointed when the new Big East invited Butler. Butler has a very good program, and is in the footprint, but isn't a Catholic school. At the time, they had recently been to two consecutive NCAA national championship games in men's basketball. I just hated to see the BE break up the Catholic consistency.

Dayton fits right in, both instiutionally and geographically. They also have a traditionally strong and well-supported program. Location works against them.
05-11-2017 11:12 PM

RutgersGuy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

It's more of the fact that it's Dayton is so close to Cincinnati. Don't need two schools in the Queen City.
05-12-2017 12:01 AM
_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
(05-11-2017 10:32 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  

I think he was speaking from the perspective that Dayton isn't exactly a bustling market of opportunity. It's not like Omaha or Providence are either, but PC is a longtime member while Creighton was in the right place at the right time.

I wouldn't think of it as a pre-req though, more like the price of admission if they do get an invite. And the chances of that happening will be a little bit higher with these renovations, although having another team around as a logical addition to the Big East to put the league at an even dozen wouldn't hurt.

Right place in the right time? Creighton drew NBA sized crowds over the years. Dayton's main knock is that they are in a would-be duplicated market.
05-12-2017 04:37 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
It's to prepare for their move to the American
05-12-2017 07:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.