Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

way-too-early SEC football power rankings...thoughts?
Bookmark and Share
n2019 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgia
way-too-early SEC football power rankings...thoughts?
https://thejrreport.com/2017/05/07/way-t...-rankings/

What are your thoughts on these rankings? Some things I'm iffy about:

I think Ole Miss might do better than indicated
I think UF could beat UGA out
Auburn is looking pretty good, maybe better than LSU
05-09-2017 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
RE: way-too-early SEC football power rankings...thoughts?
Last year was a fluky year for TN. We beat Florida and Georgia when we shouldn't have, and we lost to Vandy/South Carolina when we shouldn't have. We've lost some good players (6 in the draft) but also now have talent to replace them. So, I'll say TN goes 9-3 this year, with losses to Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Until all East teams play Alabama, TN is at a disadvantage. Note: This is not a complaint and I am not recommending TN give up playing Alabama any time soon, it is just a fact of our schedule.

On the other hand, based on recent experience, here is my prediction:

Florida: 8-4
Georgia: 8-4
TN: 8-4
Missouri: 8-4
Vandy: 8-4
South Carolina: 8-4
Kentucky: 8-4

Alabama: 8-4
Auburn: 8-4
LSU: 8-4
Arkansas: 8-4
Texas A&M: 8-4
Miss St.: 8-4
Ole Miss: 8-4

I jest, but parity is here in the SEC.
05-09-2017 09:52 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-09-2017 09:48 AM)n2019 Wrote:  https://thejrreport.com/2017/05/07/way-t...-rankings/

Well of course all preseason rankings are suspect. Most go off what happened last year with recruiting rankings tossed in. Many kids just don't pan out in spite of the hype. I prefer to group expectations.

EAST:
Florida & Tennessee & Georgia> any of these could make a move and there is no clearly dominant team.

Kentucky, South Carolina > Stoops will get more out of his players and I'm not sold on Muschamp. Either of these could push their way into the upper group.

Vanderbilt & Missouri> Missouri is slowly climbing out of the sellar and Vandy is getting stronger defensively. Either could pull a surprise or two and either could get to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl.

WEST:
Alabama> Strong but not as elite and therefore more reachable this year by the next grouping.

Auburn & L.S.U. & Texas A&M> All of these have the athletes to challenge Alabama this year. Do they have the coaching?

Arkansas & Mississippi State> Either could make a surprise run at the upper grouping but both have deficits. Arkansas lost their running back in the Spring game and Mississippi State has more graduation losses to fill.

Ole Miss> Issues cost them last year. The heat is up on Freeze and his squad may melt because of it. I think they have a hard time staying motivated.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 10:04 AM by JRsec.)
05-09-2017 10:04 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(05-09-2017 10:04 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 09:48 AM)n2019 Wrote:  https://thejrreport.com/2017/05/07/way-t...-rankings/

Well of course all preseason rankings are suspect. Most go off what happened last year with recruiting rankings tossed in. Many kids just don't pan out in spite of the hype. I prefer to group expectations.

EAST:
Florida & Tennessee & Georgia> any of these could make a move and there is no clearly dominant team.

Kentucky, South Carolina > Stoops will get more out of his players and I'm not sold on Muschamp. Either of these could push their way into the upper group.

Vanderbilt & Missouri> Missouri is slowly climbing out of the sellar and Vandy is getting stronger defensively. Either could pull a surprise or two and either could get to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl.

WEST:
Alabama> Strong but not as elite and therefore more reachable this year by the next grouping.

Auburn & L.S.U. & Texas A&M> All of these have the athletes to challenge Alabama this year. Do they have the coaching?

Arkansas & Mississippi State> Either could make a surprise run at the upper grouping but both have deficits. Arkansas lost their running back in the Spring game and Mississippi State has more graduation losses to fill.

Ole Miss> Issues cost them last year. The heat is up on Freeze and his squad may melt because of it. I think they have a hard time staying motivated.

Hogs lose a ton of Offensive weapons from last year and now lose the 2016 SEC leading rusher due to a another knock injury causing a medical retirement. This could be a make or break year for Bielema.

To keep his job, he needs to beat Aggie and fix that crap defense---witch they just switched to a 3-4 from 4-3
05-09-2017 11:03 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
East: I've got to go with Florida until someone beats them. McElwain apparently hasn't recruited well so it may start to bite him, but I think Georgia is too raw right now.

West: Bama...The passing game should improve this year although we have to replace a couple of key positions on the O-line. I like the Daboll hire for OC though.

I don't really trust Butch Jones at Tennessee or I might be ready to pick them to win the East. They do have talent, but Jones is not a good teacher of fundamentals.

Auburn could be very good if Stidham comes along, but they seem to have a dearth of running backs right now.

Ole Miss and Arkansas, I think, will battle to finish last in the West. It's a shame really because I don't think either team is that bad. The West is just so deep.

Watch out for Vandy to make a little noise. I don't think they truly compete for the East, but they could win 7.

Kentucky is another to watch for. How they start is the question.
05-09-2017 07:45 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(05-09-2017 07:45 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  East: I've got to go with Florida until someone beats them. McElwain apparently hasn't recruited well so it may start to bite him, but I think Georgia is too raw right now.

This.

Nobody has knocked Florida off the perch in the east since Mizzou was on fire those two years
05-09-2017 08:22 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Well Mizzou can only be a surprise I guess. I think they are at least a year away, probably two. Coach is still instituting a new system. Only one way for us... up. lol
05-09-2017 11:20 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(05-09-2017 11:20 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Well Mizzou can only be a surprise I guess. I think they are at least a year away, probably two. Coach is still instituting a new system. Only one way for us... up. lol

I hated to see Gary Pinkel go. I thought he was one of the best coaches in the country. Not sure the new guy is up to par, but he hasn't had long so I guess we'll see.
05-09-2017 11:47 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
We have big holes on D and will start a freshman QB

We will struggle to be bowl eligible this year and it will probably be Sumlins last year.
05-10-2017 07:12 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(05-10-2017 07:12 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  We have big holes on D and will start a freshman QB

We will struggle to be bowl eligible this year and it will probably be Sumlins last year.

If Sumlin gets the axe, who is the front runner for the job?
05-10-2017 08:52 AM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(05-10-2017 08:52 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(05-10-2017 07:12 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  We have big holes on D and will start a freshman QB

The answer to that is the reason why A&M can't ever get its **** together in FB despite having nearly every advantage one could want.

Our FB HC hiring is always a proxy battle for the eternal dick measuring contest between the Dallas Big Cigar Ags and the Houston Big Cigars Ags

Sumlin was the choice of the Houston BCAs

Now the Dallas BCAs want THEIR guy (SMUs Chad Morris) to be his replacement

It's why our "national coaching searches" are a complete joke and why well probably never live up to our full potential because to do that, they'd have put their egos aside and come together and say "Alright, you are our AD, go out and get us the best coach you can and the two of us groups will get behind you and come up with the money for it!"
05-10-2017 11:30 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-10-2017 11:30 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  
(05-10-2017 08:52 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

The answer to that is the reason why A&M can't ever get its **** together in FB despite having nearly every advantage one could want.

Our FB HC hiring is always a proxy battle for the eternal dick measuring contest between the Dallas Big Cigar Ags and the Houston Big Cigars Ags

Sumlin was the choice of the Houston BCAs

Now the Dallas BCAs want THEIR guy (SMUs Chad Morris) to be his replacement

It's why our "national coaching searches" are a complete joke and why well probably never live up to our full potential because to do that, they'd have put their egos aside and come together and say "Alright, you are our AD, go out and get us the best coach you can and the two of us groups will get behind you and come up with the money for it!"

That's not the only issue. The biggest issue affects us all. Most of the recent instant splashes have been H.S. coaches who run the spread. Once the conference adapted to it its magic was gone. Also having a Heisman candidate running the offense contributes mightily as well and those are once a decade recruits.

The simple answer is that the finest coaches out there are defensively minded, fundamentals teaching, old guys who played when the game was much more disciplined, who coached under extremely disciplined head coaches when they were assistants and are smart enough to hang onto old virtues, but still keep an open mind to innovation. We have 3 to 5 of those in Division I. Texas may have hired one in the making but he has a lot to prove yet as does Smart at Georgia. I'd say the best coach off of the radar in the Southeast is Peterson at Washington. Chris however doesn't like to move. He has a special needs child and craves atmospheres where the college PR demands aren't as high profile as those in the SEC. I suspect Washington is the perfect fit for him.

I see the Malzahns and Freezes as gimmick coaches whose time will quickly pass. Tubberville lost his fire, D'antonio is getting long in the tooth, and Urban and Saban will retire out of their present positions.

Fundamentals were once taught in High School and in the South there were far more boys desiring to play 40 to 50 years ago % wise than there are today. I find most H.S. coaches today to be lazy. They don't even try to develop talent, but rather they stick the best athlete at QB the fastest skinny kid at WR and the fastest strong kid at Tailback. Fat kids play the O line and their blocking technique is to obstruct or delay the defender rather than to move him, and the athletic big kids play DT.

So when these kids get to college they need remedial Football 100 to catch up no matter how athletic, fast, or large they are. Teachers who have great communication skills and great intuition for hiring subordinates make the best Head Coaches (CEO's) for our programs. We are way overpaying for coaches who don't have those skill sets and can't pay enough for those who do.

So if you fire Sumlin or we finally lose Malzahn, or Ole Miss is required to release Freeze good luck to us all because the odds are we will land a flash in the pan. IMO that's why Pinkel was such a loss. If his cancer is in remission A&M might look there.
05-10-2017 12:18 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I've been very critical of SC the past three years - but our offense is going to be excellent this season. Jake Bentley is the best QB in the SEC.
05-12-2017 03:09 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-12-2017 03:09 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  I've been very critical of SC the past three years - but our offense is going to be excellent this season. Jake Bentley is the best QB in the SEC.

I agree on Bentley. I will agree on Muschamp when I see discipline in the team. But, I think the biggest thing that Carolina will need is time to develop depth. So you guys get into contention this year if you can stay healthy. Do that this year and the depth in recruiting will build up next year.
05-12-2017 03:21 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(05-12-2017 03:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 03:09 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  I've been very critical of SC the past three years - but our offense is going to be excellent this season. Jake Bentley is the best QB in the SEC.

I agree on Bentley. I will agree on Muschamp when I see discipline in the team. But, I think the biggest thing that Carolina will need is time to develop depth. So you guys get into contention this year if you can stay healthy. Do that this year and the depth in recruiting will build up next year.

Ironically the defense, specifically DE and DBs, where our coaching is the strongest will be the biggest weak point. ON offense Bentley is good and we return a strong stable of talent at WR, TE, and RB. Our offense should be really really good which I think will surprise people given Muschamp's history

Depth is an issue. There are only 77 guys on scholarship as Champ has run off many of the guys from the last few Spurrier classes. There were big time work ethic issues with many of them. Of the 77 I think something like 50-55 are from the 2016-17 classes
05-13-2017 08:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.