Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tough times at NIU
Bookmark and Share
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
Tough times at NIU
Northern Illinois University officials say cuts and deferred maintenance will be necessary to save money as the school faces a $35 million funding gap from the lack of a state budget.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...udget-woes
05-08-2017 07:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Tough times at NIU
The only close friends of mine who remain in the State of Illinois are 1) highly compensated Chicago living hipsters or 2) have family ties keeping them in town.

Everyone else has left Illinois. I've been gone now for almost 12 years.
05-09-2017 09:28 AM
ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
Chicago/Illinois are about to experience what Detroit/Michigan have gone through over the past 15 years or so. It's going to get worse before it gets better. On the upside, Michigan is on the upswing and the same will happen to Illinois. Just need to figure out how to clean house in the corrupt city government of Chicago and throughout the state legislature.
05-09-2017 09:40 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-09-2017 09:40 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Just need to figure out how to clean house in the corrupt city government of Chicago and throughout the state legislature.

Corruption happens downstate, too.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local...story.html
05-09-2017 11:18 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-09-2017 09:28 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  The only close friends of mine who remain in the State of Illinois are 1) highly compensated Chicago living hipsters or 2) have family ties keeping them in town.

The bolded part is really the only reason why I reside in SE Michigan.

There are good aspects, sure. But I'd rather be living near a different, slightly smaller city, that doesn't regularly rank in Top 10 lists you don't want to be on. And preferably in a milder climate.
05-09-2017 11:23 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-09-2017 11:23 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 09:28 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  The only close friends of mine who remain in the State of Illinois are 1) highly compensated Chicago living hipsters or 2) have family ties keeping them in town.

There are good aspects, sure. But I'd rather be living near a different, slightly smaller city, that doesn't regularly rank in Top 10 lists you don't want to be on. And preferably in a milder climate.

Just be patient. Your climate is getting milder by the year. Twenty to thirty years, it may be tropical!
05-09-2017 11:26 AM
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

(05-09-2017 11:23 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

It may not fit your climate qualifications, but look at Grand Rapids. Smaller, much nicer city than Detroit. Very strong economy, and the city is rapidly growing as people move from the east side of the state to the west side.

I have a number of friends that I grew up with on the east side who now live in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. The west side is prospering. Even Kalamazoo is seeing a renaissance.
05-09-2017 12:34 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(05-09-2017 11:18 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 09:40 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Just need to figure out how to clean house in the corrupt city government of Chicago and throughout the state legislature.

It is pervasive, like a cancer on society.
05-09-2017 12:35 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion

Basically. I was born in Rockford, moved when I was four, and hardly anyone my parents knew there still remains.
05-09-2017 01:43 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
tough times at CMU also. 20 million in the red, layoffs announced.
05-09-2017 02:27 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I have several brothers and sisters and none of them have moved out of Illinois. I have one niece that did.
05-09-2017 03:59 PM
Advertisement

HuskieAlumnus03 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
My entire family and extended family are from Chicagoland Illinois. None have moved out except for me. 100% of best friends are still there. 90% of my NIU friends and fraternity brothers live and work in Chicago. The ones that left live in NYC or California because of jobs. I moved because of the military/work.
05-09-2017 04:27 PM
pono Online
Heisman

I Root For:

Chicago Dems have had their share of crooked pols - from pay off to local officials to decades of elected prosecutors covering up police torture centers. but the Republicans have taken the hypocrisy cake lately. Remember that Illinois rep Dennis Hastert, the longest running Republican house majority leader in history, who was the most powerful elected rep in the country for a decade while running on a pro religion, lock em up, family values platform was convicted last year of paying hush money to his serial child rape victims for decades. The Paterno/Sandusky scandal got the media attention, but Hastert preyed on emotionally weak boys on his wrestling teams and raped them, before moving into politics and paying them off during a career where he led the Congressional prayer group. Illinois corruption is peerless.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 11:20 PM by pono.)
05-09-2017 11:20 PM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(05-09-2017 01:43 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  

Basically. I was born in Rockford, moved when I was four, and hardly anyone my parents knew there still remains.

Right, Rockford is not a good area and I imagine anyone who could get out has. During the recession I believe it was one of the top 10 cities in the country for unemployment.

I left Illinois nearly 8 years ago now. It would take a very good career opportunity to move back and even then I wouldn't want to stay.
05-12-2017 07:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(05-09-2017 11:20 PM)pono Wrote:  

Chicago Dems have had their share of crooked pols - from pay off to local officials to decades of elected prosecutors covering up police torture centers. but the Republicans have taken the hypocrisy cake lately. Remember that Illinois rep Dennis Hastert, the longest running Republican house majority leader in history, who was the most powerful elected rep in the country for a decade while running on a pro religion, lock em up, family values platform was convicted last year of paying hush money to his serial child rape victims for decades. The Paterno/Sandusky scandal got the media attention, but Hastert preyed on emotionally weak boys on his wrestling teams and raped them, before moving into politics and paying them off during a career where he led the Congressional prayer group. Illinois corruption is peerless.

Yea Illinois is the instruction manual on how to be corrupt.
05-12-2017 12:48 PM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
(05-12-2017 12:48 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

I thought it was Louisiana but maybe it's a multi-volume manual 03-razz
05-12-2017 06:39 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

(05-12-2017 06:39 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 12:48 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

I thought it was Louisiana but maybe it's a multi-volume manual 03-razz

Different chapters lol
05-13-2017 01:20 AM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU

Yeah, the whole Midwest Rustbelt, same story. I left Indy 8 years ago. According to Facebook most of my high school acquaintances left too.
05-13-2017 08:15 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
As long as Mike Madigan stays speaker, things are unlikely to improve imo. But when he eventually does retire or kick the bucket whoever is his right-hand man will probably step in and nothing will change, although there's the slight chance they're an improvement.
05-13-2017 09:30 AM
LongtimeFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Ball State is in good shape. Faculty are getting 3 1/2% salary increase in funding from the state next year and tuition will have the lowest increase it has had for 40 years. The university is also getting over $150 million for construction of a new health college building and a new science building. New and renovated residence halls are are appearing all over campus. In athletics, construction of a golf indoor practice facility is underway next to the football stadium this year, and a new practice facility for basketball and volleyball will be constructed next to Worthen Areana in 2018. Athletic facilities are not state funded. Enrollment is growing, likely at or near 22,000 next year. Students from Illinois can come to Ball State for less money than they would pay at state universities in Illinois, even taking into account having to pay out of state tuition. The university will be celebrating its centennial in 2018. The Ball brothers would never believe it.

Indy and environs are gaining population and the city is fast becoming a major high tech center, a kind of Midwest Silicon Valley. The north suburbs are among the nation's fastest growing areas.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 09:48 AM by LongtimeFan.)
05-13-2017 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.