Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Realignment Moves That Need to Happen
Rob of NV Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: BYU
College Realignment Moves That Need to Happen
Bleacher Report's Greg Wallace lists six realignment moves that need to happen in college football.

BYU and Boise State to the PAC 12
Cincinnati and Houston to the Big 12
Notre Dame and UConn to the ACC

His realignment proposals make some sense, but when did anyone ever say college teams in a particular conference have to make sense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27083...-to-happen
05-08-2017 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
RE: College Realignment Moves That Need to Happen
let him do some homework next time
05-08-2017 06:19 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Disagree totally with this:

Quote:Winners: UConn gets to escape the AAC for the ACC and gains status as a Power Five member. Boston College, Syracuse and Pitt get another former league mate in the fold as the ACC becomes even more like the old Big East.

Losers: The American Athletic Conference loses another respected member and must backfill, as we have mentioned, from a lesser group of candidates.

The telling thing is that only select ACC schools are listed as winners, primarily because other than for those select schools UConn does not benefit the ACC.

And he should have listed ACC football as a loser because that black hole would do significant damage to every football playing institution in the conference. It further weakens two already weak football programs in Syracuse and BC by further diluting the already minuscule NE recruiting pool and casual college football fanbase, thus adding to what is already a substantial size bottom tier of ACC football programs even larger.

Not to mention that this would certainly require the ACC to go to a nine game conference schedule, and because we already have Syracuse and BC in the Atlantic division we would get saddled with UConn as well. Thus we get to replace games like Clemson/Auburn and FSU/Alabama with games against UConn.

And the last thing anybody in their right mind should want to emulate would be the dysfunctional former Big East.
05-08-2017 06:27 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
If they're coming with Notre Dame, I'll take Connecticut. However, if it's just UConn, no thank you.
05-08-2017 06:37 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-08-2017 06:01 PM)Rob of NV Wrote:  Bleacher Report's Greg Wallace lists six realignment moves that need to happen in college football.

His realignment proposals make some sense, but when did anyone ever say college teams in a particular conference have to make sense.

BYU and Boise will never happen, nor does it need to happen.

Cinci and Houston to Big 12, yeah, works for me.

Notre Dame has no incentive to go full time ACC - and it would mean losing games they REALLY want to play.
05-08-2017 06:39 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(05-08-2017 06:01 PM)Rob of NV Wrote:  Bleacher Report's Greg Wallace lists six realignment moves that need to happen in college football.

Cincinnati is a better fit for the ACC than UConn is. For 3 reasons:
1) UC is closer to the conference's core footprint.
2) UC is the biggest traditional rival of an ACC school (Louisville) that currently lacks an in-conference rival.
3) The ACC's #1 need is stronger football schools.

And if by some miracle the Big 12 and ACC both wanted Cincinnati, we'd prefer the ACC by a landslide.
05-08-2017 06:51 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(05-08-2017 06:39 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

BYU and Boise will never happen, nor does it need to happen.

Cinci and Houston to Big 12, yeah, works for me.

Notre Dame has no incentive to go full time ACC - and it would mean losing games they REALLY want to play.

Actually, I think there might be a football interest angle for the PAC 12 with Boise State. Money wise is a winner. The academics is a loser. As long as Boise State stays in the spotlight? The PAC 12 could lose the northwest market.
05-08-2017 07:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

Is Greg Wallace in 7th or 8th grade next year?
05-08-2017 07:08 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Mine is New Mexico St and Missouri St to CUSA.
05-08-2017 07:14 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

Greg,
BYU can't get into the PAC 12 because of their culture. Boise doesn't have academics. Neither are possible. Thanks for link Greg. Why the NevadaRob moniker Greg?
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 07:16 PM by billybobby777.)
05-08-2017 07:14 PM
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
If Notre Dame ever decided to join the ACC for football, I wouldn't mind Navy getting an invite
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 07:17 PM by rednblackattack.)
05-08-2017 07:16 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Navy might be the only way Norte Dame commits to a 6th ACC game. I just couldn't see Navy committing to power conference football, though, although a possible exception might be if Navy had the same arrangement as Norte Dame.
05-08-2017 08:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-08-2017 06:51 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

2) UC is the biggest traditional rival of an ACC school (Louisville) that currently lacks an in-conference rival.

And if by some miracle the Big 12 and ACC both wanted Cincinnati, we'd prefer the ACC by a landslide.

You need to check your medication dosage if you think UC is a better fit than UConn. Half of the current ACC used to be in the BE. UConn has way more established rivalries with BC, Cuse, Pitt and history with VT, daU, ND and Ville.
05-08-2017 08:41 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
BYU and Boise to Pac12 is absurd.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 08:41 PM by Hood-rich.)
05-08-2017 08:41 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(05-08-2017 08:38 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Navy might be the only way Norte Dame commits to a 6th ACC game. I just couldn't see Navy committing to power conference football, though, although a possible exception might be if Navy had the same arrangement as Norte Dame.

Navy was willing to join AAC when it was still the Big East and had AQ. In fact, they saw AQ as a relevant recruiting component.

If the ACC needs to "dilute" football, there's more value in stretching the footprint along the gulf with either Tulane or one of those schools in Houston.

Get into the gulf, and now the ACC looks even more like the Big East Navy thought it was getting.

As for my "must happen," it's clearing up the mess with CAAF. Be it Madison leaving, or Stony going above CAAF/AmEast, or some schools splitting off for Patriot, it's time to break up that party. Or, AmEast should man up and sponsor football. Boston can't hurt them now.
05-08-2017 09:04 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-08-2017 08:41 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  

You need to check your medication dosage if you think UC is a better fit than UConn. Half of the current ACC used to be in the BE. UConn has way more established rivalries with BC, Cuse, Pitt and history with VT, daU, ND and Ville.

If Louisville was a no-go because of academics Cincy was on deck when the ACC added last time. Unless something has drastically changed, and it hasn't, UConn doesn't have anywhere near the votes necessary.
05-08-2017 09:43 PM
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-08-2017 06:27 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Disagree totally with this:

Quote:Winners: UConn gets to escape the AAC for the ACC and gains status as a Power Five member. Boston College, Syracuse and Pitt get another former league mate in the fold as the ACC becomes even more like the old Big East.

Losers: The American Athletic Conference loses another respected member and must backfill, as we have mentioned, from a lesser group of candidates.

The telling thing is that only select ACC schools are listed as winners, primarily because other than for those select schools UConn does not benefit the ACC.

And he should have listed ACC football as a loser because that black hole would do significant damage to every football playing institution in the conference. It further weakens two already weak football programs in Syracuse and BC by further diluting the already minuscule NE recruiting pool and casual college football fanbase, thus adding to what is already a substantial size bottom tier of ACC football programs even larger.

Not to mention that this would certainly require the ACC to go to a nine game conference schedule, and because we already have Syracuse and BC in the Atlantic division we would get saddled with UConn as well. Thus we get to replace games like Clemson/Auburn and FSU/Alabama with games against UConn.

And the last thing anybody in their right mind should want to emulate would be the dysfunctional former Big East.

Hyperbole much?

1. You'd get Notre Dame as a full member.

2. The dysfunctional Big East was a better FB conference than the ACC after the first raid. They had more BCS bowl wins and beat the ACC champs twice in the Orange Bowl.

3. Half your league is already former members of the Big East.
05-08-2017 09:55 PM
bearcatfan1211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
These authors always fail to realize that they are thinking about things from a competitive and geographical standpoint while the conferences think of it from a money standpoint and that is essentially it. They can spout off about academic fit, cultural fit, etc. all they want but all they really care about is how it affects the bottom line.
05-09-2017 11:53 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-08-2017 07:14 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Mine is New Mexico St and Missouri St to CUSA.

Pass.
05-09-2017 11:58 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(05-08-2017 08:41 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  

Only in basketball. Not in football. I bet UCONN never plays Pitt in BB OOC, so even there that rivalry is likely a fake one anyways.
05-09-2017 12:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.