Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Train Derailment in Harrisonburg
Bookmark and Share
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
OT: Train Derailment in Harrisonburg
A train derailed by the Forbes Center, apparently as it was crossing Blacks Run where the bridge may have collapsed. I can only imagine the traffic chaos this is causing! Maybe Deez can give us a scoop if he's able to check in on scene!

Article from WHSV
05-08-2017 01:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

RE: OT: Train Derailment in Harrisonburg
Per a Facebook friend in town: "A feed car fell off its wheels and took the next three cars behind off the rails. This was right behind the Forbes Center parking deck, but the head of the train is down near South Avenue while the end of the trains is near Wayland Hall. S. Main St, Maryland Ave/Port Republic Rd and all cross streets in that area are blocked. Thankfully, no one was injured and the train was not carrying anything dangerous (mostly feed cars)."
05-08-2017 01:41 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
no injuries or major damage as the train derailed in a wooded section over black's Run, but major damage to the rail system through campus, main street, and the switch yard behind the forbes Center. It's going to impact rail traffic through here rather significantly I think. At least one car's wheels derailed while the train was on campus, and that car was drug for a good ways, before it shifted in the switch yard and toppled, which also destroyed the bridge over black's run. It's a big mess of corn/grain/feed type of product that spilled.
05-08-2017 03:14 PM
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
It derailed at the Greek Row crossing and went all the way to the Blacks Run bridge before the unsupported ties on the bridge let go
3 cars in the creek a forth is of the tracks. Going to be a while until trains go through campus.
05-08-2017 04:01 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
The pictures I saw showed some major damage to the rail.
05-08-2017 10:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
A little OT on OT but will there ever be a time when those rails could be used for passenger trains? That along with an airport that flies commercial are part of the ingredients for JMU to be in a big time conference long term.
05-09-2017 06:04 AM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-09-2017 06:04 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  A little OT on OT but will there ever be a time when those rails could be used for passenger trains? That along with an airport that flies commercial are part of the ingredients for JMU to be in a big time conference long term.

I'm surprised the passanger train industry even exists still. With the introduction of the hyperloop technology, commercial airplanes are about to become as relevant as Amtrak.
05-09-2017 07:22 AM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

(05-09-2017 07:22 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 06:04 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  A little OT on OT but will there ever be a time when those rails could be used for passenger trains? That along with an airport that flies commercial are part of the ingredients for JMU to be in a big time conference long term.

I'm surprised the passanger train industry even exists still. With the introduction of the hyperloop technology, commercial airplanes are about to become as relevant as Amtrak.

I think we have a little ways to go yet before the hyperloop changes life as we know it. And, if it isn't cost effective to fly small regional jets into Harrisonburg then I would assume it is even less likely that the Harrisonburg route will be deemed worthy of the multi-billion dollar invest would take to get a tube run to/through town.
05-09-2017 08:08 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

An impressive turnaround by the railroad company. They worked through the night to clear the wreckage. By morning, the 5 derailed cars were removed by crane, and a lot of the spilled product had been removed. There are vac trucks out there cleaning up the remaining stuff, track workers repairing sections of rail, and the bridge replacement construction began today. They're trying to have service restored within 3 days as this is such a major service artery in the area.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 01:38 PM by Deez Nuts.)
05-09-2017 01:38 PM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

(05-09-2017 01:38 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  An impressive turnaround by the railroad company. They worked through the night to clear the wreckage. By morning, the 5 derailed cars were removed by crane, and a lot of the spilled product had been removed. There are vac trucks out there cleaning up the remaining stuff, track workers repairing sections of rail, and the bridge replacement construction began today. They're trying to have service restored within 3 days as this is such a major service artery in the area.

That's impressive!
05-09-2017 01:50 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

There was a picture of the derailment in the Washington Post Metro section today, no article just a picture. Showed one car off the track and down in the creek and all the corn spilled all over the place!!

Quick work by the RR crews.

Brian
05-09-2017 02:12 PM
Advertisement

LovethoseDukes Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU of course!
How could the engineer not know that something was wrong long before all the cars jumped off the track? If the issues began at the Godwin tracks, the train traveled at least a mile dragging track behind it. I have a feeling someone is a former railroad employee today.....

The only good news is that I don't have to worry for a couple of days about being stopped by the train at the Pilgrim's Pride feed mill on Mt. Clinton Pike when I am on my way to work....hate when my timing is bad.
05-09-2017 02:39 PM
jmu98 Offline
All American

(05-09-2017 02:39 PM)LovethoseDukes Wrote:  How could the engineer not know that something was wrong long before all the cars jumped off the track? If the issues began at the Godwin tracks, the train traveled at least a mile dragging track behind it. I have a feeling someone is a former railroad employee today.....

The only good news is that I don't have to worry for a couple of days about being stopped by the train at the Pilgrim's Pride feed mill on Mt. Clinton Pike when I am on my way to work....hate when my timing is bad.

Do you know how long it takes for those trains to slow down even from slow speeds?
05-09-2017 02:50 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

(05-09-2017 02:39 PM)LovethoseDukes Wrote:  How could the engineer not know that something was wrong long before all the cars jumped off the track? If the issues began at the Godwin tracks, the train traveled at least a mile dragging track behind it. I have a feeling someone is a former railroad employee today.....

Some professional will release their findings on what happened. From what Deez Nuts saw, on set of wheels jumped the tracks at the greek row crossing. That car traveled about 2000 feet before reaching a rail switch, where the wheels separated completely from the car. The car derailed/the load shifted as the car approached the bridge, the bridge to failed and 5 cars wound up in the 'ravine'. The whole train stopped when air pressure was lost end to end (at derailment and the hoses separated), and it stopped within about 3 car lengths. It stopped rather quickly. I saw video from main street today of the damaged car, and when the train stopped. Trains are both sophisticated and basic; there's nothing to alert the engineer that something is wrong with the wheels on a car that's 50 cars behind the locomotive.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 03:19 PM by Deez Nuts.)
05-09-2017 03:19 PM
LovethoseDukes Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU of course!
Thanks for the explanations - you guys are probably right. I am just glad "all" they were carrying was corn and not chemicals. And nobody got hurt....bonus #2.
05-09-2017 03:32 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
Could this lead to Carrier's dream of ridding campus of train tracks?
05-10-2017 11:09 AM
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I have seen proposals for the track that runs through the City to be relocated farther north of the City. I have no idea if it's conceptual, or planned, in process of acquiring property, etc, but I have seen a future/proposed route.
05-10-2017 11:48 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2017 11:48 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  I have seen proposals for the track that runs through the City to be relocated farther north of the City. I have no idea if it's conceptual, or planned, in process of acquiring property, etc, but I have seen a future/proposed route.

i have no clue at all about these things, but I would think laying down a railroad track is a lot less expensive then building a major roadway.

get in done Commonwealth !
05-10-2017 12:10 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Any other major university have an Interstate, a US route and a railroad go through their main campus?
05-10-2017 01:32 PM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(05-10-2017 01:32 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Any other major university have an Interstate, a US route and a railroad go through their main campus?

It's a stretch but my entry would be NC State. They have the tunnels in the middle of campus that run under the CSX (I think) line, US 1 runs by the Vet School and I-40 runs by the Vet school, Carter-Finely Stadium and the PNC Arena.
05-10-2017 01:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.