Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

bballjones.com - Why Calkins / Parrish are wrong on Tubby
Bookmark and Share
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
The author was just on Calkins show and presented the pro side for Tubby in really what was a nice debate with Calkins. Posting from my phone so I really don't want to outline that but the subject of the debate, this article, is found here -- bballjones.com
05-03-2017 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: bballjones.com - Why Calkins / Parrish are wrong on Tubby
If the landscape has changed so drastically, then why not hold your nose and move Keelon to a recruiting assistant? The guy could assure 3-4 McDonald's AA's wear blue and gray.
05-03-2017 10:15 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
Thanks TIGERCITY. I had no idea of this local web site, bballjones.com, so appreciate the link. I don't listen to radio much, did Calkins concede that his guest had a point?

The author, Jay Brenner, states this:

"Here he (Calkins) is on May 3, 2016 describing what it would mean if Memphis failed to get into the Big 12.
“If they are not (successful at obtaining Big 12 admission), Memphis athletics will continue on a slow slide toward irrelevance.”
How can you square this May 3rd, 2016 statement with blaming Tubby Smith exclusively for the fact that Memphis’ 2017 recruiting isn’t up to snuff? You can’t.
Again, I’m a big Calkins fan, but this is getting ridiculous.
"

From last week on Parrish, again an article by Brenner on bballjones.com:

"Why is Gary Parrish writing misleading columns about the University of Memphis men’s basketball program?" . . .

"In the first paragraph of his hit piece, Parrish paints a picture of a Memphis basketball program in very good shape when Tubby Smith inherited it in April, 2016.
Never mind the fact that nobody remotely familiar with the Memphis program in April, 2016 saw the situation that way.
In 2014-15 Memphis lost 14 games, finished 5th in the AAC, suffered a rash of transfers and missed the post-season entirely.
In 2015-16 Memphis lost 15 games, finished 7th in the AAC, suffered a rash of transfers and missed the post-season entirely.
Here’s a fact that Gary Parrish knows to be true: 29 losses and no-postseason appearances in 2-consecutive seasons at Memphis is a bad situation.
"
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 10:43 AM by Tigx.)
05-03-2017 10:28 AM
Unbreakable04 Offline
Special Teams

(05-03-2017 10:15 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  If the landscape has changed so drastically, then why not hold your nose and move Keelon to a recruiting assistant? The guy could assure 3-4 McDonald's AA's wear blue and gray.

The same regurgitated fake news/false narrative you hear time and time again. Keep him on staff to bring in his sons, who the latter may only stay one year as highly touted as they seem to be and the former are good college basketball players who obviously have their own flaws along with a Dad that offers nothing in terms of promoting the Memphis product, coaching, etc. and proved that over the course of two years. Why put up with all the bull**** having him on staff for 7-8 years for two 1 & done's and possible a 1 & done nephew? Oh, and then want to "do the best thing for his kids" by having them transfer yet say if he was an assistant coach they would still be here? Contradictory much? Who else was he bringing in other than his family? It's a waste of time and sad that he would have to be on staff for his family to wear Memphis jerseys. I'd rather completely rebuild for 2-3 years than have to deal with that bs on staff and rebuild with integrity, which is a quality many here lack.
05-03-2017 11:10 AM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-03-2017 11:10 AM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:15 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  If the landscape has changed so drastically, then why not hold your nose and move Keelon to a recruiting assistant? The guy could assure 3-4 McDonald's AA's wear blue and gray.

The same regurgitated fake news/false narrative you hear time and time again. Keep him on staff to bring in his sons, who the latter may only stay one year as highly touted as they seem to be and the former are good college basketball players who obviously have their own flaws along with a Dad that offers nothing in terms of promoting the Memphis product, coaching, etc. and proved that over the course of two years. Why put up with all the bull**** having him on staff for 7-8 years for two 1 & done's and possible a 1 & done nephew? Oh, and then want to "do the best thing for his kids" by having them transfer yet say if he was an assistant coach they would still be here? Contradictory much? Who else was he bringing in other than his family? It's a waste of time and sad that he would have to be on staff for his family to wear Memphis jerseys. I'd rather completely rebuild for 2-3 years than have to deal with that bs on staff and rebuild with integrity, which is a quality many here lack.

Cue the "win at any cost" folks chiming in
05-03-2017 11:12 AM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-03-2017 11:28 AM)wctiger65 Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 11:12 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  

Cue the "win at any cost" folks chiming in

Aka "the pricks"?

Wow dude...
You need to stop stalking me on different forums. For some reason that comment against a different poster on a different forum has got you all riled up. I don't get it at all.
05-03-2017 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline

played correctly, Tubby could have rebuit the program and still had Keelon on the staff. In order to win on an elite level, Memphis will need elite talent and Keelon would have provided that talent. His son's, Chandler and Jonathan will be elite college players. His nephew DJ Jefferies will be a top 10 kid. Had Tubby kept Keelon in a recruiting assistant role, he would have an elite players to build teams around... the same formula Cal used to win big here. As it is, we will be asking plow horses to compete with thoroughbreds. It might win us a game in the NCAA tournament, but it won't win any hardware.
05-03-2017 12:45 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(05-03-2017 12:45 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

played correctly, Tubby could have rebuit the program and still had Keelon on the staff. In order to win on an elite level, Memphis will need elite talent and Keelon would have provided that talent. His son's, Chandler and Jonathan will be elite college players. His nephew DJ Jefferies will be a top 10 kid. Had Tubby kept Keelon in a recruiting assistant role, he would have an elite players to build teams around... the same formula Cal used to win big here. As it is, we will be asking plow horses to compete with thoroughbreds. It might win us a game in the NCAA tournament, but it won't win any hardware.

While I agree keeping Lawson happy would have brought Memphis more talent...I think that goes without saying.

What I don't know is at what cost...It became obvious that Lawson was going to work this gig for as much as he could get out of it after last year putting his son in the draft when EVERYONE knew he wasn't ready to see what he would get. Not sure if Tubby felt he needed to walk on egg shells around the kids to ensure that landing of the future Lawsons , but that is also a possibility.

But it was Tubby's decision now he has to live with it...If he can get it done with less talent more power to him. Heck if he makes the sweet 16 with the cobbled together group of kids in the next 2 years the local kids will be lined up at his door to come here again.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 01:00 PM by macgar32.)
05-03-2017 12:58 PM
Marc Mensa Offline

(05-03-2017 12:58 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

While I agree keeping Lawson happy would have brought Memphis more talent...I think that goes without saying.

What I don't know is at what cost...It became obvious that Lawson was going to work this gig for as much as he could get out of it after last year putting his son in the draft when EVERYONE knew he wasn't ready to see what he would get. Not sure if Tubby felt he needed to walk on egg shells around the kids to ensure that landing of the future Lawsons , but that is also a possibility.

But it was Tubby's decision now he has to live with it...If he can get it done with less talent more power to him. Heck if he makes the sweet 16 with the cobbled together group of kids in the next 2 years the local kids will be lined up at his door to come here again.

Tubby is 67. He doesn't have a 7-8 year rebuild in him. The game plan on how to win big here has already been drafted. It's just a question of whether Tubby is too bullheaded to follow it.
05-03-2017 01:26 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2017 01:26 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

Tubby is 67. He doesn't have a 7-8 year rebuild in him. The game plan on how to win big here has already been drafted. It's just a question of whether Tubby is too bullheaded to follow it.

Enlighten me. Cheat like Cal?
05-03-2017 01:35 PM
MEMPHIS TIGERS Offline
2nd String

(05-03-2017 01:35 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 11:10 AM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  The same regurgitated fake news/false narrative you hear time and time again. Keep him on staff to bring in his sons, who the latter may only stay one year as highly touted as they seem to be and the former are good college basketball players who obviously have their own flaws along with a Dad that offers nothing in terms of promoting the Memphis product, coaching, etc. and proved that over the course of two years. Why put up with all the bull**** having him on staff for 7-8 years for two 1 & done's and possible a 1 & done nephew? Oh, and then want to "do the best thing for his kids" by having them transfer yet say if he was an assistant coach they would still be here? Contradictory much? Who else was he bringing in other than his family? It's a waste of time and sad that he would have to be on staff for his family to wear Memphis jerseys. I'd rather completely rebuild for 2-3 years than have to deal with that bs on staff and rebuild with integrity, which is a quality many here lack.

Uh... Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-03-2017 01:36 PM
Advertisement

Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-03-2017 11:10 AM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  The same regurgitated fake news/false narrative you hear time and time again. Keep him on staff to bring in his sons, who the latter may only stay one year as highly touted as they seem to be and the former are good college basketball players who obviously have their own flaws along with a Dad that offers nothing in terms of promoting the Memphis product, coaching, etc. and proved that over the course of two years. Why put up with all the bull**** having him on staff for 7-8 years for two 1 & done's and possible a 1 & done nephew? Oh, and then want to "do the best thing for his kids" by having them transfer yet say if he was an assistant coach they would still be here? Contradictory much? Who else was he bringing in other than his family? It's a waste of time and sad that he would have to be on staff for his family to wear Memphis jerseys. I'd rather completely rebuild for 2-3 years than have to deal with that bs on staff and rebuild with integrity, which is a quality many here lack.

What did he do?
05-03-2017 01:39 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

Recruit D1 point guards, power forwards and centers. Recruit players in the top 100. Try not to have your 2 guard and your first freshman recruit leave after one year. Try and recruit players your first year that will help long term. There were 23 players in the top 100 from TN, AR, MS, LA, GA, TX, all areas that we should be recruiting, and Tubby didn't get any of them.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 01:44 PM by Stammers.)
05-03-2017 01:40 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

FWIW he's 65
05-03-2017 01:43 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2017 01:39 PM)Easterwood Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 12:45 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  played correctly, Tubby could have rebuit the program and still had Keelon on the staff. In order to win on an elite level, Memphis will need elite talent and Keelon would have provided that talent. His son's, Chandler and Jonathan will be elite college players. His nephew DJ Jefferies will be a top 10 kid. Had Tubby kept Keelon in a recruiting assistant role, he would have an elite players to build teams around... the same formula Cal used to win big here. As it is, we will be asking plow horses to compete with thoroughbreds. It might win us a game in the NCAA tournament, but it won't win any hardware.

What did he do?

Are you saying we didn't cheat while he was here?
05-03-2017 01:44 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(05-03-2017 01:40 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 12:45 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  played correctly, Tubby could have rebuit the program and still had Keelon on the staff. In order to win on an elite level, Memphis will need elite talent and Keelon would have provided that talent. His son's, Chandler and Jonathan will be elite college players. His nephew DJ Jefferies will be a top 10 kid. Had Tubby kept Keelon in a recruiting assistant role, he would have an elite players to build teams around... the same formula Cal used to win big here. As it is, we will be asking plow horses to compete with thoroughbreds. It might win us a game in the NCAA tournament, but it won't win any hardware.

Recruit D1 point guards, power forwards and centers. Recruit players in the top 100. Try not to have your 2 guard and your first freshman recruit leave after one year. Try and recruit players your first year that will help long term. There were 23 players in the top 100 from TN, AR, MS, LA, GA, TX, all areas that we should be recruiting, and Tubby didn't get any of them.

Who was the last recruit in the top 100 we got from Texas heck I don't remember any from LA for that matter.
I'll hang up and listen.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 01:47 PM by macgar32.)
05-03-2017 01:46 PM
Advertisement

Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-03-2017 01:44 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 01:39 PM)Easterwood Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 12:58 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  While I agree keeping Lawson happy would have brought Memphis more talent...I think that goes without saying.

What did he do?

Are you saying we didn't cheat while he was here?

What do you know ?
05-03-2017 01:47 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
This bballjones.com seems to be riding the coattails of Calkins and Parrish.

The oldest ploy in the book is to come out against something that already has legs.

Calkins and GP did all the work.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 01:52 PM by snowtiger.)
05-03-2017 01:51 PM
Marc Mensa Offline

Tubby could have built a solid team with the players he is bringing in and then compliment them with a top 10 kid like Chandler and/or DJ to become the focal point. He can still do that, but it just doesn't seem like he wants to work it like hes going to need to do in order to get one of those kids. Cal's genius was not his ability to get around a rule: his genius was his abiity to team build. His genius was taking a team that went twice to the Elite 8 and convince them to turn over the reigns to a freshmen. If Tubby is going to win here like the fans expect him to win, then its going to take something more than what he is currently bringing in.
05-03-2017 01:52 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2017 01:46 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 01:40 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 12:58 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  While I agree keeping Lawson happy would have brought Memphis more talent...I think that goes without saying.

Who was the last recruit in the top 100 we got from Texas heck I don't remember any from LA for that matter.
I'll hang up and listen.

Dominic Magee was Top 100 from LA, but he never played a game for the Tigers. Now at Southern Miss.
05-03-2017 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.