Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the ACC Network launch a sure thing?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Interesting piece from Awful Announcing

During an interview on ESPN Radio Syracuse last week, Syracuse University athletic director John Wildhack said the network is on track to launch as planned.

“It won’t impact our deal with the ACC,” Wildhack said of ESPN’s recent cuts. “Our deal runs through 2036. The ACC Network will launch as scheduled in 2019. I think ESPN will put all their muscle and support toward making sure the launch is a success because they are a partner and they have a vested interest in making sure the ACC Network is a financial success.”

…During an appearance on The “Sports Illustrated Media Podcast” with Richard Deitsch, Miller said doesn’t think ESPN can commit to the ACC Network as planned in 2019.

“I wouldn’t count on it,” Miller said. “I think that is part of the recalculation they are doing looking forward, in particular since that will be on the eve of these big rights deals we have been talking about. And they are going to need to save money.”
05-02-2017 11:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Is the ACC Network launch a sure thing?
(05-02-2017 11:57 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Interesting piece from Awful Announcing

During an interview on ESPN Radio Syracuse last week, Syracuse University athletic director John Wildhack said the network is on track to launch as planned.

“It won’t impact our deal with the ACC,” Wildhack said of ESPN’s recent cuts. “Our deal runs through 2036. The ACC Network will launch as scheduled in 2019. I think ESPN will put all their muscle and support toward making sure the launch is a success because they are a partner and they have a vested interest in making sure the ACC Network is a financial success.”

…During an appearance on The “Sports Illustrated Media Podcast” with Richard Deitsch, Miller said doesn’t think ESPN can commit to the ACC Network as planned in 2019.

“I wouldn’t count on it,” Miller said. “I think that is part of the recalculation they are doing looking forward, in particular since that will be on the eve of these big rights deals we have been talking about. And they are going to need to save money.”

If Notre Dame is joining in full then yes. Miller is a UK grad who got a Masters at Maryland and his kids go to LSU and Ole Miss. The other guy is now at Syracuse. I find it an odd piece.
05-03-2017 02:20 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
A majority of the Rights fees between ESPN and service providers occurred around the time of the launch of the SEC Network to ensure it got picked up by as many companies as possible. The ACC Network will launch in during the next cycle of major negotiations in 2019.

The ACC Network will get launched on time or else that GOR becomes void.
05-03-2017 02:32 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-03-2017 02:32 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  A majority of the Rights fees between ESPN and service providers occurred around the time of the launch of the SEC Network to ensure it got picked up by as many companies as possible. The ACC Network will launch in during the next cycle of major negotiations in 2019.

I was reading an F.S.U. site last night and the editorial posted there was cautious of this whole matter. I found that interesting that one of their own would raise doubts.
05-03-2017 04:34 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2017 04:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 02:32 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  A majority of the Rights fees between ESPN and service providers occurred around the time of the launch of the SEC Network to ensure it got picked up by as many companies as possible. The ACC Network will launch in during the next cycle of major negotiations in 2019.

I was reading an F.S.U. site last night and the editorial posted there was cautious of this whole matter. I found that interesting that one of their own would raise doubts.

Do you have a link for that article? Would be interesting to read.
05-03-2017 11:03 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-03-2017 11:03 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Do you have a link for that article? Would be interesting to read.

Do a search on the ACCN or Realignment and set the tools for the last week and maybe you will find it. It may have been the Garnett and Gold, but I was surfing, read it, and continued surfing. I didn't copy the address.
05-03-2017 11:27 PM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Someone posted on the ACC board a letter from Swofford to all the schools & AD stating that he has "full confirmation" from Skipper that the layoffs will not affect the ACCN. It's "full speed ahead ".

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=817006
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 09:23 AM by Lenvillecards.)
05-04-2017 09:21 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-04-2017 09:21 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Someone posted on the ACC board a letter from Swofford to all the schools & AD stating that he has assurance from Skipper that the layoffs will affect the ACCN. It's "full speed ahead ".

I think you meant, will not affect the ACCN. I believe that too Lenville. But given the layoffs and the declining subscriptions Skipper himself will be the tell. As long as he is there it will be done. But should Disney replace him (and he's been there for a while) it could signal a change of programming strategy across the board and not just for the ACCN. That's what has to be watched. Corporations almost always change the CEO if a long term negative trend affects stock prices.

What concerns me is that such a change might well change their whole approach to delivery. I know the escape clause in the ACC's GOR extension is centered around the ACCN. I've not read the one for the SECN. But for now the SECN is a big profit maker so unless a change signals the selling off of portions of ESPN's rights, up to and including the SECN, anything quite literally is possible and 2019 is really close at hand. Any changes for 2019's operational plans could easily be changed by the end of this next football season.

None of this bothered me until the Miller / Wildhack interview. Then whoever it is that writes and manages that Florida State site brought up similar issues the other night. Couple that with rumors getting out from credible sources about N.D. and Cincy joining in 2019 and it just makes me wonder. Why would Notre Dame joining leak out at the same time that the layoffs and doubts over the viability of Disney wanting to invest in the ACCN come out in the same week? And is Finebaum's blurting out the "Oklahoma Want's Out" story just coincidental or was it designed to focus the public's attention away from Miller's observations. Either way we won't know for sure. That's why John Skipper himself is the tell. If they keep him that means they like the trajectory of the decisions he has made and that those decisions will come to fruition. If however Skipper is removed sometime between this Summer and Next Summer then watch out for everybody connected with ESPN, not just the ACC.
05-04-2017 09:37 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas

(05-04-2017 09:37 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 09:21 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Someone posted on the ACC board a letter from Swofford to all the schools & AD stating that he has assurance from Skipper that the layoffs will affect the ACCN. It's "full speed ahead ".

I think you meant, will not affect the ACCN. I believe that too Lenville. But given the layoffs and the declining subscriptions Skipper himself will be the tell. As long as he is there it will be done. But should Disney replace him (and he's been there for a while) it could signal a change of programming strategy across the board and not just for the ACCN. That's what has to be watched. Corporations almost always change the CEO if a long term negative trend affects stock prices.

What concerns me is that such a change might well change their whole approach to delivery. I know the escape clause in the ACC's GOR extension is centered around the ACCN. I've not read the one for the SECN. But for now the SECN is a big profit maker so unless a change signals the selling off of portions of ESPN's rights, up to and including the SECN, anything quite literally is possible and 2019 is really close at hand. Any changes for 2019's operational plans could easily be changed by the end of this next football season.

None of this bothered me until the Miller / Wildhack interview. Then whoever it is that writes and manages that Florida State site brought up similar issues the other night. Couple that with rumors getting out from credible sources about N.D. and Cincy joining in 2019 and it just makes me wonder. Why would Notre Dame joining leak out at the same time that the layoffs and doubts over the viability of Disney wanting to invest in the ACCN come out in the same week? And is Finebaum's blurting out the "Oklahoma Want's Out" story just coincidental or was it designed to focus the public's attention away from Miller's observations. Either way we won't know for sure. That's why John Skipper himself is the tell. If they keep him that means they like the trajectory of the decisions he has made and that those decisions will come to fruition. If however Skipper is removed sometime between this Summer and Next Summer then watch out for everybody connected with ESPN, not just the ACC.

When did this happen and where are the links to all these rumors?[/i]
05-04-2017 10:29 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson

JR - Not throwing rocks at you, but has there been any credible source say that there is an out clause in the ACC GOR extension? I've heard it from the tin foil hat types (i.e. WVU bloggers and Big12 wishful thinking), but nothing remotely credible. My understanding is that the network was dependent on the GOR, but not vice versa.
05-04-2017 10:41 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-04-2017 10:41 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

JR - Not throwing rocks at you, but has there been any credible source say that there is an out clause in the ACC GOR extension? I've heard it from the tin foil hat types (i.e. WVU bloggers and Big12 wishful thinking), but nothing remotely credible. My understanding is that the network was dependent on the GOR, but not vice versa.

I'd have to read the new GOR. Have you? The escape clause out of the network is the 3 million per school payout per year that is in your current contract. Besides the GOR isn't the biggest issue here. The biggest issue is the parent company's endorsement, or lack thereof, of ESPN's present trajectory. Skipper has been through 2 large layoffs and now he's the CEO during the cord cutting. If for no other reason than to send a signal that might prop up stocks short term and considering the length of Skipper's tenure a change would be indicated by Disney. So if Disney believes a change is needed there will be new leadership. Everything would then be up in the air. The SECN could be reinforced or sold off. The ACCN could be scrapped, instituted, or sold off. It just depends upon what course the new CEO would take.

All of this stuff circulating right now could be the byproduct of ginning up business for the press during a traditionally slow period, or in concert with the best time of the year in the sports business to make changes. We'll just have to wait and see. That is why I say Skipper himself will be the tell. If he remains it will signal that his trajectory is the chosen course. If not it will signify changes, and likely major ones that will affect us all.

But to ignore Miller who has made his career off of studying ESPN would be foolish. With people like Miller (who has strong SEC roots) you listen to what they say and watch. He did his undergraduate at Kentucky, his post graduate work at Maryland, and his family has connections to L.S.U. and Ole Miss.

But as to that tinfoil hat thing, if there was an abrupt change in the leadership of ESPN, and the ACCN was put on hold, it couldn't possibly play well with the rank and file. Holding that rancor would not be in ESPN's best interest. Paying for it at a tune of 45 million a year would not be in their best interest. Selling their rights to the ACC might be. If ESPN had low cash reserves it would be the SECN that they would sell. But their cash reserves are fine, so they would sell most likely things that were NET profit drains. A contract with a punitive clause would be one such possible thing. But I would have to think so too would be the LHN.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 11:32 AM by JRsec.)
05-04-2017 11:30 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

03-lmfao
There is no escape clause.
05-04-2017 11:41 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-04-2017 11:41 AM)XLance Wrote:  

03-lmfao

I was referring to the 3 million per school should the ACCN not materialize. The GOR extension was predicated on the ACCN.
05-04-2017 12:00 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(05-04-2017 12:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

03-lmfao

I was referring to the 3 million per school should the ACCN not materialize. The GOR extension was predicated on the ACCN.

I heard that ESPN needed the GOR extension (i.e. membership stability) to commit to the ACCN, which is prudent and logical. I haven't heard anyone credible say that the GOR is void without the ACCN. I believe I heard Swofford say the GOR is unconditional, although my memory is somewhat fuzzy these days (I blame my kids).

I wholeheartedly agree that a change in leadership at ESPN in the era of cost cutting would be a game changer. The LHN would be on the chopping block. The SECN would survive since it is an existing, known, and profitable entity. The ACCN, would be thoroughly reviewed and who knows what would happen there? I still say we merge the ACC and SEC and then get ND, Texas, OU, and OState. Let Kansas go to the B1G.
05-04-2017 12:30 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-04-2017 12:30 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 12:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

03-lmfao

I heard that ESPN needed the GOR extension (i.e. membership stability) to commit to the ACCN, which is prudent and logical. I haven't heard anyone credible say that the GOR is void without the ACCN. I believe I heard Swofford say the GOR is unconditional, although my memory is somewhat fuzzy these days (I blame my kids).

I wholeheartedly agree that a change in leadership at ESPN in the era of cost cutting would be a game changer. The LHN would be on the chopping block. The SECN would survive since it is an existing, known, and profitable entity. The ACCN, would be thoroughly reviewed and who knows what would happen there? I still say we merge the ACC and SEC and then get ND, Texas, OU, and OState. Let Kansas go to the B1G.

I think the merger aspect is under the radar. Look at the factors already in play. The SECN is located in North Carolina. If you merged the LHN into it and kept the conference headquarters in Birmingham you have centered all of the major aspects of the united group for the three areas concerned. All the ACC has already done is for each conference school to get broadcast production ready. Since the equipment is the same the SEC modified to prior to the SECN it is already synchronized. I would bet the LHN is as well.

It is why I think that if FOX can land a piece of the PACN that a division of the Big 12 based upon SWC ties and Big 8 ties is likely. Texas, Texas Tech, T.C.U. and Baylor come to ESPN. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State go to FOX. Any scheduling alliance would be a first step to an eventual merger into a league. ESPN might like to own Texas outright without any FOX intervention from one of the top products in Texas. 5 games a week in a state of 26 million is a lot of exclusive ad revenue. Plus combine the product and ESPN has all of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas Kentucky and Missouri with no other P5 schools in any of them. New York, Massachusetts, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Ohio with Cincinnati joining with Notre Dame, would give us inroads into the underbelly of the Big 10. Oklahoma is a small sacrifice to make to engulf that region. There is no reason that the ACCN could not be broadcast out of Charlotte.

I've even proposed that if you kept the two conferences distinct as far as branding goes that the ACC North and ACC Mid Atlantic could operate out of Bristol. The ACC South and SEC East out of Charlotte, and the SEC Central and SEC West out of the LHN facilities. Bundle the two conference networks, use overflow channels to distribute divisional content for each division and create a whole new niche for regional advertising. Right now many strong regional companies just can't justify national airtime. It misses their target audience and costs too much. So when brand plays brand we have national advertising. The divisional games of the week would be targeted at regional companies who wanted the specified exposure.

So in essence a merger, in business practices a merger, but for branding two separate entities. But getting all of Texas is the key. However, get a change in CEO and who knows what happens?
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 12:56 PM by JRsec.)
05-04-2017 12:51 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

From May 2nd...

Tallahassee Democrat article on FSU and ACC Network

Interesting nuggets...

“And they already have plans in place as to how they’re going to be able to minimize the cord-cutting that you hear about and see that’s going on. We as athletic directors have heard and seen their plans, that’s for ESPN to really talk to you about.

“But I do believe the ACC Network is still going to be very successful and that’s because they’ve got really good people that have been in this industry for some time and have already anticipated the things that are currently happening and already made plans on how they’re going to deal with that.”
05-04-2017 03:02 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-04-2017 03:02 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  From May 2nd...

Tallahassee Democrat article on FSU and ACC Network

Interesting nuggets...

“And they already have plans in place as to how they’re going to be able to minimize the cord-cutting that you hear about and see that’s going on. We as athletic directors have heard and seen their plans, that’s for ESPN to really talk to you about.

“But I do believe the ACC Network is still going to be very successful and that’s because they’ve got really good people that have been in this industry for some time and have already anticipated the things that are currently happening and already made plans on how they’re going to deal with that.”

The new revenue stream could well be a piggyback on the SECN in Mexico.
05-04-2017 03:06 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

And now an update from Awful Announcing...

Swofford sends memo saying Skipper has assured him of ACCN launch

The article does a bit more speculating along with defending Jim Miller's credentials.

The idea of converting one of ESPN's existing channels into the ACCN is also floated out there.
05-04-2017 03:37 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Swofford calls 04-bs on negative speculation.

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/accxtra...47cda.html
05-05-2017 04:54 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-05-2017 04:54 AM)XLance Wrote:  Swofford calls 04-bs on negative speculation.

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/accxtra...47cda.html

Skipper has more credibility than Swofford. Swofford has pulled some of his own B.S. in the past. I seem to remember his kid subletting your T3 to a FOX held YES in New York which is one big reason your network couldn't even materialize until those rights were returned, or ended. It seems to me that this was the biggest reason that ESPN couldn't kick off the ACCN until 2019. So it seems to me the biggest pile of B.S. was in your conference office.
05-05-2017 10:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.