Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Autographs
Bookmark and Share
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Autographs
Someone told me they were at a restaurant the other night in NKY and Malik Monk was there signing autographs for the UK autograph tour. Apparently there was a line with a bunch of grown men waiting for a chance to meet Malik and get a picture of him signed.

Has anyone ever found the process of getting autographs odd, especially fully grown male adults waiting in a line to get an autograph from an 18 year old kid a little weird?

05-02-2017 09:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
RE: Autographs
I find blue necks in general a little weird.

05-02-2017 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I have never obtained anyone's autograph, though I do like getting a picture (or now, selfie) with famous people.

I still treasure my 2006 picture with Phil Liggett on top of L'Alpe d'Huez.

05-02-2017 11:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
(05-02-2017 11:29 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I have never obtained anyone's autograph, though I do like getting a picture (or now, selfie) with famous people.

I still treasure my 2006 picture with Phil Liggett on top of L'Alpe d'Huez.

I have definitely got autographs as a kid. Pokey Reese, Barry Larkin, Takeo Spikes, Bob Huggins, Triple H, Frank Robinson. There are a few people I would still get one from if given the opportunity, but they are all over the age of 40 and have accomplished quite a bit, but something about a 45 year old dude sniffing an 18 year old for his signature is creepy.

05-02-2017 01:33 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Some of the grown men may be trying to get the autographed picture so they can sell it for a profit later.

05-02-2017 01:36 PM
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
We only go to a few basketball games a year but we usually hangout after and my son (11) gets autographs on whatever Bearcat shirt he is wearing to the game. My older sons have a few shirts that are signed by a lot of UC greats (including Ed Jucker from one of the summer basketball camps). At that age they are really into it, the only adults I see doing it anymore are getting merch they have signed for sale on ebay or something.

05-02-2017 01:37 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I dont do autographs. At the end of the day these guys get up and put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.

05-05-2017 06:53 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I guess I make getting Autographs into a bit of a hobby. I don't really go after many athlete autographs though. I mainly get Hollywood and pro wrestling signatures. I guess this makes me a creepy young guy.

05-05-2017 07:16 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I have one autograph in my possession, Muhammed Ali, I didn't feel weird at all about that. He's a special person.

05-05-2017 07:33 AM
Advertisement

burkat Offline
Bench Warmer

I never got into collecting autographs even when I was little. The only autograph I still have from when I was a kid is Charles Woodson's. He was still in high school at the time and lived down the street from me. After hearing he was going to play for Michigan, I had him sign a random piece of blank paper one day when he was throwing the football around with a bunch of us younger kids.

These days, if I meet an author I'll occasionally have them sign a copy of their book, but I guess I see that as more akin to a painter or sculpter signing their art. In the past year or so I've had Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, and Penn Jillette sign books when meeting them at various events. However, I won't go out of my way, stand in long lines, or pay for an autograph.

05-05-2017 10:26 AM
crex043 Offline
All American

(05-05-2017 06:53 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I dont do autographs. At the end of the day these guys get up and put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.

With the mounds of cash some of these guys are rolling in, I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts their pants on for them.

05-05-2017 10:58 AM
Ahhhorsepoo Offline
All American

I Root For: UC, FSU, NOT XU
(05-05-2017 10:58 AM)crex043 Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 06:53 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I dont do autographs. At the end of the day these guys get up and put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.

With the mounds of cash some of these guys are rolling in, I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts their pants on for them.

they can't get people to drive them home when they drink to much, what makes you think anyone besides maybe Lavar Ball would think having a pant putter onner would be a good investment for his future?

05-05-2017 12:04 PM
crex043 Offline
All American

(05-05-2017 12:04 PM)Ahhhorsepoo Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 10:58 AM)crex043 Wrote:  

they can't get people to drive them home when they drink to much, what makes you think anyone besides maybe Lavar Ball would think having a pant putter onner would be a good investment for his future?

It sure doesn't stop those people from having other luxuries that they don't need.

05-05-2017 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(05-02-2017 09:31 AM)jarr Wrote:  Someone told me they were at a restaurant the other night in NKY and Malik Monk was there signing autographs for the UK autograph tour. Apparently there was a line with a bunch of grown men waiting for a chance to meet Malik and get a picture of him signed.

Has anyone ever found the process of getting autographs odd, especially fully grown male adults waiting in a line to get an autograph from an 18 year old kid a little weird?

Given that he could very well be destined to play in multiple all-star games and have an outstanding career on the next level? No. I find it far creepier that a group of middle aged "analysts" spend their time for different agencies, channels and magazines eye banging 15 year old boys, who happen to be of a certain build because they might be good college players. I think it's actually pretty cool the young man's on top of the world and will be in the prime of his life for a good 15-17 years. With "****-you" money, anything he wants and people in awe of his game. Live it up for the rest of us! Just don't forget who you are and what you came from in the process. Have fun...Just not too much.

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 02:31 PM by Recluse1.)
05-05-2017 02:30 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(05-05-2017 10:26 AM)burkat Wrote:  I never got into collecting autographs even when I was little. The only autograph I still have from when I was a kid is Charles Woodson's. He was still in high school at the time and lived down the street from me. After hearing he was going to play for Michigan, I had him sign a random piece of blank paper one day when he was throwing the football around with a bunch of us younger kids.

These days, if I meet an author I'll occasionally have them sign a copy of their book, but I guess I see that as more akin to a painter or sculpter signing their art. In the past year or so I've had Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, and Penn Jillette sign books when meeting them at various events. However, I won't go out of my way, stand in long lines, or pay for an autograph.

Lawrence Krauss? I had him as a professor at Case. A total tool.

One of his fellow faculty members told me Krauss was an editorial writer, not a scientist. Krauss also led the charge against Case's best President in recent history (Ed Hundert), culminating in Hundert's surprise resignation. I think Krauss got some backlash for that because the next year he packed his bags for Arizona State.

05-05-2017 05:08 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(05-05-2017 05:08 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 10:26 AM)burkat Wrote:  I never got into collecting autographs even when I was little. The only autograph I still have from when I was a kid is Charles Woodson's. He was still in high school at the time and lived down the street from me. After hearing he was going to play for Michigan, I had him sign a random piece of blank paper one day when he was throwing the football around with a bunch of us younger kids.

Lawrence Krauss? I had him as a professor at Case. A total tool.

One of his fellow faculty members told me Krauss was an editorial writer, not a scientist.

That criticism could equally apply to Richard Dawkins. What was the last peer reviewed anything he published? Not to mention his background is largely in animal behavior and ethics. He hasn't done anything related to zoology, much less to genetics or modern evolutionary biology since the early 80s. Which might as well have been in the bronze age at this point. He mainly gets by writing books on the subject of theology, which he also has no background in but nobody runs around calling him out for that. Respect the hustle.

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 08:30 PM by Recluse1.)
05-05-2017 08:28 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
It's cool up until a certain age. Then it gets weird.

05-05-2017 08:45 PM
Advertisement

mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
Not surprising it was adult members of Big Blue(neck) Nation.
A good chunk of their fanbase borders on hero worship of all things Big Blue. The level of superfandome is downright scary with most of them having never set foot in a University of Kentucky classroom and many having never visited campus since Rupp is an off campus arena.

05-07-2017 12:29 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I give autographs....I don't get them

05-07-2017 04:14 PM
Fubar Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Red & Black
It's like grown men wearing jerseys, it's creepy?.

05-09-2017 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.