Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Doomsday Scenario: Rice/Marshall Baseball
Bookmark and Share
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
As of this morning, Rice and Marshall are tied for the crucial 8th place position in baseball, the last place that earns an invitation to the tournament in Biloxi...

While we're not too familiar with battling for 8th in baseball, we do know a little bit about going up against Marshall in tiebreakers.

Our doomsday weapon as always is the computer rankings. But let's walk through the scenario first.

Of course, head to head is the first tiebreaker. But we always skip one team in our CUSA rotation. This year, Marshall and Rice don't play.

The next tiebreaker is comparative records against common opponents, in top-to-bottom order of league standings.

Thing is, so far, Rice and Marshall have had the exact same record in all three completed series against common opponents. If ODU beats Marshall today (for the sweep) and Rice wins against UTSA to take the series 2-1, then we'd have the same record in all FIVE completed of our 8 scheduled common series.

If this trend continued to its logical completion for all 8 opponents, then we could be looking at the third tiebreaker to decide the final spot... (wait for it)... RPI!!! (Yay, computers!!)

And yes, last I checked that edge goes to Rice by about 20 spots!!! (Though in all seriousness with both teams' remaining schedules... if this scenario played out then the RPI gap would narrow significantly to put that tiebreaker up for grabs, too!!)

I know this won't go down to the wire since I'm certain Rice will get hot and stay hot to run the table right through to the NCAA's... but it's still a fun scenario to consider... I don't think Marshall fans would really enjoy it if it played out like that though...
04-30-2017 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

RPI: 79-Rice 114-Marshall
04-30-2017 10:07 AM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: The Doomsday Scenario: Rice/Marshall Baseball
I'm sure they'll pay a specifically sought-after expert to sort it out and tell them what they want to hear, err, what should happen.

Congrats, Rice!
04-30-2017 10:16 AM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Remaining 3 series for each. Included MT and UAB as both of them are 1 game each behind for 8th place going into today's games.

Marshall: WKU, @LT, Charlotte
Rice: @Charlotte, MT, @UAB
UAB: @ODU, @USM, Rice
MT: @UTSA, @Rice, LT
04-30-2017 12:00 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
See 2013 football
04-30-2017 12:24 PM
Advertisement

goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
(04-30-2017 10:05 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  As of this morning, Rice and Marshall are tied for the crucial 8th place position in baseball, the last place that earns an invitation to the tournament in Biloxi...

While we're not too familiar with battling for 8th in baseball, we do know a little bit about going up against Marshall in tiebreakers.

Our doomsday weapon as always is the computer rankings. But let's walk through the scenario first.

Of course, head to head is the first tiebreaker. But we always skip one team in our CUSA rotation. This year, Marshall and Rice don't play.

The next tiebreaker is comparative records against common opponents, in top-to-bottom order of league standings.

Thing is, so far, Rice and Marshall have had the exact same record in all three completed series against common opponents. If ODU beats Marshall today (for the sweep) and Rice wins against UTSA to take the series 2-1, then we'd have the same record in all FIVE completed of our 8 scheduled common series.

If this trend continued to its logical completion for all 8 opponents, then we could be looking at the third tiebreaker to decide the final spot... (wait for it)... RPI!!! (Yay, computers!!)

And yes, last I checked that edge goes to Rice by about 20 spots!!! (Though in all seriousness with both teams' remaining schedules... if this scenario played out then the RPI gap would narrow significantly to put that tiebreaker up for grabs, too!!)

I know this won't go down to the wire since I'm certain Rice will get hot and stay hot to run the table right through to the NCAA's... but it's still a fun scenario to consider... I don't think Marshall fans would really enjoy it if it played out like that though...

To be honest, the vast majority of us do not care at all about baseball, so yay if we win or do well. But won't miss a seconds sleep if we lose every game.
04-30-2017 12:26 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

(04-30-2017 10:16 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  I'm sure they'll pay a specifically sought-after expert to sort it out and tell them what they want to hear, err, what should happen.

Congrats, Rice!

(04-30-2017 12:24 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  See 2013 football

I knew you guys would remember!
04-30-2017 02:31 PM
Advertisement

owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

Marshall avoids the sweep AND the RPI tiebreaker by beating ODU 2-1... whew.... Doomsday II Averted!!
04-30-2017 03:06 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(04-30-2017 03:06 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Marshall avoids the sweep AND the RPI tiebreaker by beating ODU 2-1... whew.... Doomsday II Averted!!

It could still happen if say we win 2/3 vs Charlotte but Marshall loses 2/3, no?
04-30-2017 03:10 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

(04-30-2017 03:10 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(04-30-2017 03:06 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Marshall avoids the sweep AND the RPI tiebreaker by beating ODU 2-1... whew.... Doomsday II Averted!!

It could still happen if say we win 2/3 vs Charlotte but Marshall loses 2/3, no?

Yes, but only if ODU & Charlotte tie in the standings.
04-30-2017 10:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.