Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Paul Rowley Elected to Phi Beta Kappa
Bookmark and Share
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Congrats to Paul Rowley upon being named today to Phi Beta Kappa! He is the first Tribe basketball player to make Phi Beta since the 1912-13 season....one hundred and four years ago!!

Paul graduates this spring and will honor his remaining two years of basketball eligibility at W&M by playing as he attends the W&M Law School.
A remarkable achievement by a remarkable young man.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/news/2017/...ath=mbball
04-27-2017 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
RE: Paul Rowley Elected to Phi Beta Kappa
Paul, if you're reading this ...

Law school while playing basketball won't be easy. If you'd like free copies of all my first year class outlines (several years old, I admit), let me know and I'll drop them in the mail.
04-27-2017 03:56 PM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

Mr. Rowley is the real deal at W&M. He'll be a law student while likely starting on the basketball team. Here's hoping he's also the team captain in 2 years.
04-27-2017 03:56 PM
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

Congrats Paul! Hopefully studying all the torts won't mess up your killer 3 pt shot :)
04-27-2017 04:12 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Double Major in 3 years with the GPA for PBK.01-ncaabbs

Clearly not spending any time in the weight room 03-idea01-lauramac2
04-27-2017 04:37 PM
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Congrats, Paul!

I hope someone in the school media group will go the extra mile to get this story out to national media. Remarkable path and accomplishment that deserves attention.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
04-27-2017 06:51 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

Congratulation, Paul!
04-27-2017 09:07 PM
Tribal Offline

Wml33t may remember this: I met Paul at the CAAT (the UD collapse?) and not long after he committed. He attended with his pop and could not have been a nicer young man. I think wml33t sat next to them. Very happy for Paul.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
04-28-2017 08:00 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

ATTABOY!

That's a BIG Attaboy for Paul.

Nice job!
04-28-2017 08:34 AM
Advertisement

wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(04-28-2017 08:00 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Wml33t may remember this: I met Paul at the CAAT (the UD collapse?) and not long after he committed. He attended with his pop and could not have been a nicer young man. I think wml33t sat next to them. Very happy for Paul.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I do - I often reflect on that as I see him having a blast on the court. I sat in front him and the Ribes were next to him.
04-28-2017 11:25 AM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

Any of the geezers on here ever recall anyone on the team ever being a law student?!? This geezer doesn't remember that ever happening...
04-28-2017 12:53 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(04-28-2017 12:53 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  Any of the geezers on here ever recall anyone on the team ever being a law student?!? This geezer doesn't remember that ever happening...

I never remember having a law student. When you think about it, we really have not had that many 5th year players over the years period.

I wonder if any team in America has a law student on the team.
04-28-2017 01:28 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(04-28-2017 01:28 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  
(04-28-2017 12:53 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  Any of the geezers on here ever recall anyone on the team ever being a law student?!? This geezer doesn't remember that ever happening...

I never remember having a law student. When you think about it, we really have not had that many 5th year players over the years period.

I wonder if any team in America has a law student on the team.

Was Jay Bilas on the Duke team while in law school?

Given the spectacle and travel involved with college basketball, today, I can't imagine anyone being successful in law school while trying to play in Division I.
04-28-2017 02:44 PM
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

Law School may actually be particularly suited to an athlete. I believe many of the classes grade entirely based on the final. Obviously valuable info is conveyed in classes, but that's something athletes learn to work around.
04-29-2017 08:11 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

(04-29-2017 08:11 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  Law School may actually be particularly suited to an athlete. I believe many of the classes grade entirely based on the final. Obviously valuable info is conveyed in classes, but that's something athletes learn to work around.

They do tend to lean heavily (often times solely) on the final, but there's about 6-7 hours of work outside of class everyday that has to be done to keep up (for most semesters). That doesn't include the fact that 1L year in law school (the only year that most athletes would be eligible) is probably the most important and the toughest (especially considering the adjustment most students have to make from undergraduate studies to the rigor of law school). I can't imagine a Division I college athlete having the time to be successful.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 07:46 AM by TribeNiner.)
05-02-2017 07:45 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(05-02-2017 07:45 AM)TribeNiner Wrote:  
(04-29-2017 08:11 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  Law School may actually be particularly suited to an athlete. I believe many of the classes grade entirely based on the final. Obviously valuable info is conveyed in classes, but that's something athletes learn to work around.

They do tend to lean heavily (often times solely) on the final, but there's about 6-7 hours of work outside of class everyday that has to be done to keep up (for most semesters). That doesn't include the fact that 1L year in law school (the only year that most athletes would be eligible) is probably the most important and the toughest (especially considering the adjustment most students have to make from undergraduate studies to the rigor of law school). I can't imagine a Division I college athlete having the time to be successful.

You make a valid point, but then again I can't imagine a DI athlete completing a double major in 3 years, with a double major and qualify for Phi Beta Kappa. I was lucky to graduate in 4 years w/o participating in varsity sports with a "thank the lawdy" recognition...

Is Law School still characterized as year 1 = scare them to death; year 2 = work them to death; year 3 = bore them to death?
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 08:26 AM by LeadBolt.)
05-02-2017 08:22 AM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

(05-02-2017 08:22 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  

You make a valid point, but then again I can't imagine a DI athlete completing a double major in 3 years, with a double major and qualify for Phi Beta Kappa. I was lucky to graduate in 4 years w/o participating in varsity sports with a "thank the lawdy" recognition...

Is Law School still characterized as year 1 = scare them to death; year 2 = work them to death; year 3 = bore them to death?

Pretty much. The fact that hiring happens almost solely based on your first-year grades (interviews for summer associate positions tend to happen in the fall of your 2L year, so no other grades are out, yet) adds to the pressure of the first year. Most are hoping that their summer associate position will lead to full-time employment, especially at larger private firms. In addition to interviewing, etc., and the pressure that comes with it in 2L year, you also have journal participation (Bill of Rights Journal, Law Review, Business Law Review, etc.), which takes up a ton of time. 3L year tends to be about getting to the finish line and taking whatever really specialized classes you might be interested in.
05-02-2017 10:59 AM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

Hey, just wanted to give a little shout out to Tony and Ann on becoming Grandparents for the second time. Congrats! Hudson is a good looking boy!
05-03-2017 08:19 AM
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William and Mar
(05-02-2017 10:59 AM)TribeNiner Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 08:22 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  

Pretty much. The fact that hiring happens almost solely based on your first-year grades (interviews for summer associate positions tend to happen in the fall of your 2L year, so no other grades are out, yet) adds to the pressure of the first year. Most are hoping that their summer associate position will lead to full-time employment, especially at larger private firms. In addition to interviewing, etc., and the pressure that comes with it in 2L year, you also have journal participation (Bill of Rights Journal, Law Review, Business Law Review, etc.), which takes up a ton of time. 3L year tends to be about getting to the finish line and taking whatever really specialized classes you might be interested in.

I think Paul is going to have a bit of a rude awakening, but will adjust rapidly. W&M's law school is good, but not superior, and his intellect and work ethic will help. The challenge is that outstanding undergraduate performance is not always indicative of performance on law school exams; I was a mediocre undergraduate student at W&M and performed extremely well at UVA law; my cousin had a 3.9 at Tech and has struggled in law school. With his intellectual firepower, there is a very good chance that without hoops, he could be in the top 10% of the class.

Paul will have one semester to determine if he can manage the law school workload and Division 1 athletics. If his first semester grades are mediocre because of his hoops time commitment, he'll have to make a tough decision, because a full year of mediocre 1L grades at W&M's law school will doom any chance for a large firm position or a clerkship after graduation. Even for lawyers who don't want to pursue a partnership track at a large firm, there is nothing better than a top-100 firm as a starting point. Plus, the compensation gap for new lawyers between a top-100 firm ($180K starting) and smaller regional firms or prosecutors ($50-$80K starting) adds up really fast over 3-4 years.

It is a big task. I was an older law student with work experience, avoided going out, and dedicated 90 minutes of my day to fitness. I found that a time-management struggle. Paul will have to give 2.5-3 hours, plus travel time for games, time for treatment, fatigue, and film. Paul will also miss significant time just as finals preparation begins. The stakes are high.

I'm really only aware of one other Division 1 student-athlete who successfully competed at a top-25 business or law school. Casey Carroll was a member of the '06 Duke lacrosse team - he was hurt at the time of the party and was not on campus - and gained an extra year of eligibility as a result. He graduated on time, served in the army for four years, and enrolled at the Fuqua School of Business in 2011. He ended up playing ACC lacrosse both years of his MBA, because he tore his ACL his first year and got a medical redshirt for a sixth year. He did very well in school and started on the field (Duke won 2 national titles in his two years). But in all fairness to Paul, Casey was a freak athlete and 2X All-American who even at age 30 with a torn ACL was still better than most D-1 players ever dream of. So he could afford to be, in his words, "the last guy in and the first guy out" and still be competitive.

Hope Paul can do the same - and we get similar results!
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 03:33 PM by ttgwm02.)
05-05-2017 10:14 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
My guess based on knowing what Paul is driven by, I can't see him working for a big law firm. I think his career will be more entrepreneurial and intellectually focused.
05-05-2017 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.