Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why do G4 fans think we are going join their conferences mergers
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Why do G4 fans think we are going join their conferences mergers
I keeps seeing mega threads on G4 boards. Most discuss mergers between The Sun belt and CUSA. But a lot of these guys think the AAC is going to realign with them and try to put our programs in their conferences. Why. Serious question.

It's is obvious that Aresco and Co. want less than zero to do with the G4. It is also obvious that our entire conference strives to be a P6, if not already there. It's also obvious that all of our programs have made commitments to compete at the highest of levels. So, why do they insist on making us part of their mid major, mega conference, proposed mergers? I mean, I keep seeing these proposed geographical conferences like USF, UCF, FAU, FIU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Charlotte, etc. I just don't get it. Why even bring up scenarios that just won't happen. EVER.

Leave the power leagues to the power leagues.
04-27-2017 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
RE: Why do G4 fans think we are going join their conferences mergers
Trends are going in the other direction. Conferences are going to get smaller, not larger.
04-27-2017 10:46 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Apparently there is some sort of talked about Sun Belt/CUSA merger being tossed around. I don't know for sure, I just keep seeing it discussed. Then all of the posters throw AAC teams into this alignment. I have yet to hear one person from an AAC school talk about anything related to this, yet the G4 keeps trying to put our programs in this proposal.

EDIT: I have to say, by G4, I am mainly talking about Sun Belt/CUSA proposal, and not including the MAC or MWC in this. I haven't heard it out of them very much if at all.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 10:50 AM by BullsFanInTX.)
04-27-2017 10:49 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
Because the P4/P5 is going to exclude the AAC and Aresco will have no choice unless he wants to be the jilted middle child of college football.
04-27-2017 10:53 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(04-27-2017 10:53 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  Because the P4/P5 is going to exclude the AAC and Aresco will have no choice unless he wants to be the jilted middle child of college football.

SO what does that make UMASS? Redheaded stepchild nobody wants?
04-27-2017 10:58 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
When discussing more regional conferences, I haven't seen much inclusion of the AAC teams on other conference boards. Its mostly CUSA/SB reorganizations. That said, a lot depends on the next TV deal. If it were to be a bust---there might be some rethinking of the current half-continent conference structure. The only reason for that kind of travel is an increased footprint size designed to generate better TV earnings. If it isn't creating better TV earnings---then that wide footprint just counter productive.

Frankly, I think we will get a nice raise to 4-8 million a team in the next TV deal---but on some of the other boards, they think we will get $200K a team like CUSA. I think they are wrong. As long as we get at least what we make now, the AAC will not have any reason to reorganize in a more regional fashion. Basically, the talk of the AAC getting a $200K a team contract is derived from the tired erroneous often repeated mantra that "all non-autonomous conferences are the same". They aren't.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 11:04 AM by Attackcoog.)
04-27-2017 10:59 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
The G4 is fascinated with us because even though there is a divide between the AAC and the G4, we are the closest power conference to them. They can see us but thu just cant quite touch us...we are just out of reach and it drives them nuts.
04-27-2017 11:14 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-27-2017 10:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  When discussing more regional conferences, I haven't seen much inclusion of the AAC teams on other conference boards. Its mostly CUSA/SB reorganizations. That said, a lot depends on the next TV deal. If it were to be a bust---there might be some rethinking of the current half-continent conference structure. The only reason for that kind of travel is an increased footprint size designed to generate better TV earnings. If it isn't creating better TV earnings---then that wide footprint just counter productive.

Frankly, I think we will get a nice raise to 4-8 million a team in the next TV deal---but on some of the other boards, they think we will get $200K a team like CUSA. I think they are wrong. As long as we get at least what we make now, the AAC will not have any reason to reorganize in a more regional fashion. Basically, the talk of the AAC getting a $200K a team contract is derived from the tired erroneous often repeated mantra that "all non-autonomous conferences are the same". They aren't.

Shrinking TV revenue is a CUSA problem, not a G5 problem. Yes, I have seen the news of ESPN downsizing, but it's mostly things like MNF, CFP, and NBA that ESPN has overpaid for. I haven't seen anything showing money is being lost on non-major conference media deals.

As for the AAC getting involved in a merger, I haven't seen anyone other than maybe a couple of delusional CUSA people really believe the AAC will be willing to get involved.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 11:35 AM by EigenEagle.)
04-27-2017 11:34 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(04-27-2017 10:58 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(04-27-2017 10:53 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  Because the P4/P5 is going to exclude the AAC and Aresco will have no choice unless he wants to be the jilted middle child of college football.

Huh Huh..... good one

Wannabe.......... 04-chairshot
04-27-2017 01:03 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB

no, no, they are our little abandoned misfit brother that just couldn't keep up with us in anything and now they are searching for a home....but can't find one
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 01:09 PM by Huskypride.)
04-27-2017 01:07 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-27-2017 10:49 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Apparently there is some sort of talked about Sun Belt/CUSA merger being tossed around. I don't know for sure, I just keep seeing it discussed. Then all of the posters throw AAC teams into this alignment. I have yet to hear one person from an AAC school talk about anything related to this, yet the G4 keeps trying to put our programs in this proposal.

EDIT: I have to say, by G4, I am mainly talking about Sun Belt/CUSA proposal, and not including the MAC or MWC in this. I haven't heard it out of them very much if at all.

The MAC and MWC make quite a bit more from their media contracts than the SBC/CUSA schools.

The big issue those SBC/CUSA face is in addition to the piss poor media contracts, they have extensive travel. It makes a lot of sense for those conferences to merge and/or switch out members. With the MAC they are basically within such a close proximity to one another they can keep costs low by busing the athletes.
04-27-2017 01:20 PM
Advertisement

MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
CUSA added a bunch of SB/FCS programs and then were shocked to get a SB/FCS level media deal. Some insist the AAC will get a similar haircut and then join with SB & CUSA to save on bus tickets.

But they seem to have forgotten that the AAC already went through this in 2013. The old BE added a bunch of CUSA 2.0 teams and then got a CUSA 2.0 level media deal.
04-27-2017 01:29 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
This is all ridiculous.

04-27-2017 01:42 PM
3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears
(04-27-2017 01:07 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  

no, no, they are our little abandoned misfit brother that just couldn't keep up with us in anything and now they are searching for a home....but can't find one

04-27-2017 01:47 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!

Does McGuirk Stadium have bathrooms yet? 03-lmfao
04-27-2017 01:51 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(04-27-2017 01:29 PM)MechaKnight Wrote:  CUSA added a bunch of SB/FCS programs and then were shocked to get a SB/FCS level media deal. Some insist the AAC will get a similar haircut and then join with SB & CUSA to save on bus tickets.

But they seem to have forgotten that the AAC already went through this in 2013. The old BE added a bunch of CUSA 2.0 teams and then got a CUSA 2.0 level media deal.

I think the difference is that the on-the-field performance of the AAC increased, and is easily on par with the old Big East... Which is why most think we will get a significant raise next round.

('Power' depends on what metric you use to measure it... TV $$, facilities, attendance, or on the field...)
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 01:53 PM by Bull.)
04-27-2017 01:53 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-27-2017 01:29 PM)MechaKnight Wrote:  CUSA added a bunch of SB/FCS programs and then were shocked to get a SB/FCS level media deal. Some insist the AAC will get a similar haircut and then join with SB & CUSA to save on bus tickets.

The old Big East added a bunch of CUSA schools in 2004 (Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, Marquette, and DePaul) and got a Big East level media deal.

CUSA was always devalued for its bottom. When the cream was completely removed in the next expansion, I think a lot of people wondered what the results would be. The influx of investment for the incoming programs, along with the greater expectations, created a gulf between them and the left behinds. Combined with the old holdovers, and other additions, the AAC has trended more toward the P5 as a result.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 01:59 PM by BigEastHomer.)
04-27-2017 01:56 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(04-27-2017 11:14 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  The G4 is fascinated with us because even though there is a divide between the AAC and the G4, we are the closest power conference to them. They can see us but thu just cant quite touch us...we are just out of reach and it drives them nuts.

Oly smokes, you nailed it, B1
04-27-2017 02:06 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
CUSA merging with Sun Belt. 03-puke

I break out into a cold sweat every time I think how close we were to being left behind in that dumpster fire.

Thank you AAC.

[Image: Zach-Galifianakis-Thank-You-Gif-To-An-In...ngover.gif]
04-27-2017 03:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goldeneagle21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-27-2017 03:18 PM)8BitPirate Wrote:  CUSA merging with Sun Belt. 03-puke

I break out into a cold sweat every time I think how close we were to being left behind in that dumpster fire.

Thank you AAC.

[Image: Zach-Galifianakis-Thank-You-Gif-To-An-In...ngover.gif]

Spraying a little potpourri in your dumpster doesn't change the fact that you are still in a dumpster. When the smell wears off you will see where you sit. Right here with the rest that you "left behind".
04-27-2017 03:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.