Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Annual Refresher: Tribe Athletics 10 Year Plan
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
On this day four score and seven years ago...okay not really, more like 2 years ago (almost to the day), Tribe Athletics released its 10 year plan for the future of its sports programs. It's safe to say that the plan is rocking, alive, and well. Already with massive upgrades to Zable Stadium, several more are on the docket in the coming ~8 years, as the plan continues to be executed.

We at the W&M Sports Blog wanted to send out a PSA, in case you all forgot some of the minute details embedded in the all-important plan 04-bow

Which upgrades/changes are you looking forward to the most? And -- perhaps most intriguing to us, what do you think should be done about KAPLAN ARENA? A complete tear down/overhaul, or a redesign, much like UR's Robins Arena?

Enjoy! 04-cheers

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2017/04/24/annu...year-plan/
04-24-2017 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Online
All American

RE: Annual Refresher: Tribe Athletics 10 Year Plan
Tailgating on the Sunky Gs makes too much sense not to happen
04-24-2017 07:25 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(04-24-2017 06:07 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  Which upgrades/changes are you looking forward to the most? And -- perhaps most intriguing to us, what do you think should be done about KAPLAN ARENA? A complete tear down/overhaul, or a redesign, much like UR's Robins Arena?

This may not be very popular but I've never been a fan of Kaplan. The size never made sense for what the team needed while I was a student (even when the team was very good), it's a fairly ugly building, and now it looks dated in the worst possible way. I'd like to see an old snake pit style gym. I think it'd be a great atmosphere but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Great article btw.
04-24-2017 08:52 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Renovation of Kaplan is the heavy favorite for an eventual renovation.

Hey, you guys forgot one thing::: bring back Blow Gym!
04-25-2017 06:20 AM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
Burn down Kaplan for the insurance money and start over.
04-25-2017 08:38 AM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2017 08:38 AM)Rocco Wrote:  Burn down Kaplan for the insurance money and start over.

Based on the username I assume you "know a guy"?
04-25-2017 08:45 AM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
Reno Kaplan with a martini bar, fresh Mexican food, updated electronics, and we'd have the snake pit you so desire. I've seen these upgrades in several venues. It's possible.
04-25-2017 09:47 AM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(04-25-2017 08:45 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(04-25-2017 08:38 AM)Rocco Wrote:  Burn down Kaplan for the insurance money and start over.

Based on the username I assume you "know a guy"?

Allegedly. Despite what the FBI says I'm just an every day American trying to make an honest living.
04-25-2017 10:41 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(04-25-2017 06:20 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  Hey, you guys forgot one thing::: bring back Blow Gym!

Now you're talkin'!
04-25-2017 01:43 PM
Advertisement

LeadBolt Offline
All American

(04-25-2017 01:43 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  
(04-25-2017 06:20 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  Hey, you guys forgot one thing::: bring back Blow Gym!

Now you're talkin'!

The original mother of all snake pits...
04-25-2017 02:06 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2017 02:06 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  
Now you're talkin'!

That's more or less what I meant. Imagine a different timeline where the team never left Blow.
04-25-2017 02:28 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
I know this thread concerns D-1 athletics facilities at W&M, and intercollegiate athletics, but anything that diminishes the "charm" of W&M is a mistake, IMO.

Blow and The Hall were a big part of the regular student experience in the 70's- pick up hoops games on the main court, intramural volleyball, the indoor soccer marathon, the list is endless. Any change that reduces regular student access is not favored by me.

Classic point. Cary field. In the 70's, after every football game, the field was covered with fans, parents, and kids. No more. "Stay off the field" after every game.

That's my curmudgeon point of view! :-)
04-25-2017 02:35 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(04-25-2017 02:28 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(04-25-2017 02:06 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  
Now you're talkin'!

That's more or less what I meant. Imagine a different timeline where the team never left Blow.

You can make Kaplan like Blow. It won't cost a dime. Just change the seating policy. Put the students on one side of the court, and let any empty seat in the lower bowl be filled after the first media timeout by anyone. End the media timeout advertiser stuff, and let the pep band blare its stuff right next to the visiting team's bench for every time-out, during the entire time-out.

Will have to figure a way to make the rim and net shake, however.
04-25-2017 02:41 PM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(04-24-2017 08:52 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(04-24-2017 06:07 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  Which upgrades/changes are you looking forward to the most? And -- perhaps most intriguing to us, what do you think should be done about KAPLAN ARENA? A complete tear down/overhaul, or a redesign, much like UR's Robins Arena?

This may not be very popular but I've never been a fan of Kaplan. The size never made sense for what the team needed while I was a student (even when the team was very good), it's a fairly ugly building, and now it looks dated in the worst possible way. I'd like to see an old snake pit style gym. I think it'd be a great atmosphere but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Great article btw.
Would take a huge donation to build new and that extra money could be better used for other coaches salaries and scholarships.

Inside renovations, however are a must and would pray for something like UofR...especially closing the open bowl to some degree. Would love "endzone seating" instead of the abrupt cinderblock wall.

Significantly renovating the outside would be a stretch, but if they essentially encased it in glass/de-brick, it would be a huge improvement. Maybe cover some of the bland stucco with some signage/large banners. Its extremely bland as-is...

The grounds it is on could definitely use some sprucing up as well.
04-25-2017 02:42 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2017 02:35 PM)nj alum Wrote:  I know this thread concerns D-1 athletics facilities at W&M, and intercollegiate athletics, but anything that diminishes the "charm" of W&M is a mistake, IMO.

Blow and The Hall were a big part of the regular student experience in the 70's- pick up hoops games on the main court, intramural volleyball, the indoor soccer marathon, the list is endless. Any change that reduces regular student access is not favored by me.

I completely agree with you. There are intangibles at play when it comes to campus at W&M and I think "charm" is a good word to capture it. The problem is that I've never felt that The Hall was particularly W&M-y or particularly charming.

I may simply lack vision but I can't see how that changes without major renovations. New seating policies would just be putting a band-aid on a bullet wound, imo.
04-25-2017 03:34 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Look at what Portland State is doing to their hideous bunker-arena. We should strive for this approach.

[Image: 28_display_image.jpg]

[Image: 0328_DR_02_Stott_Center_FEATURED.jpg]

http://woofterarchitecture.com/projects/...-pavilion/
04-25-2017 04:09 PM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

Just some basic landscaping outside of The Kap would help. There are some ugly looking holly trees scattered about along with very large magnolias. In comparison to other hoops arenas in the CAA ours is not too bad . Look at NU, HU, UD, and Northeastern has an antique hockey rink for a basketball facility. To me money is better spent on paying good coaches and staff a competitive wage.

Rocco... I bet you know some gentlemen who are in "waste management "....
04-25-2017 07:45 PM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(04-25-2017 07:45 PM)Tribe Fan Wrote:  Just some basic landscaping outside of The Kap would help. There are some ugly looking holly trees scattered about along with very large magnolias. In comparison to other hoops arenas in the CAA ours is not too bad . Look at NU, HU, UD, and Northeastern has an antique hockey rink for a basketball facility. To me money is better spent on paying good coaches and staff a competitive wage.

Rocco... I bet you know some gentlemen who are in "waste management "....

A shrubbery...

Actually with that huge of a lawn, they could easily spell out a huge Tribe logo in small bushes or flowers and it would look awesome. You could see it on google earth...
04-26-2017 07:06 AM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: W&M
Honestly, and especially with our lack of resources, I couldn't care less what the outside looks like. It's the inside that counts. I know we need the current size for non-basketball events (concerts, graduation, major speakers, etc) so we can't do a full Towson-style arena (basically what I would pick if we could design a basketball facility from scratch - their place is awesome), but even if there was just a way to get more seating closer to the court and pack both baselines with full banks of fans right on top of the court it would make an enormous difference. 3,000 people can make a pretty good atmosphere if arranged the right way.
04-26-2017 09:54 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

One of the more affordable options that has been considered, and still is under consideration, is a curtaining system that blocks off the upper reaches of Kaplan with curtains to make it a 5000 seat basketball facility.
04-26-2017 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.