Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Spring Game" qb's
Bookmark and Share
Rabid Squirrel Online
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
"Spring Game" qb's
Just a quick impression of the QBs play in the scrimmage today.

santa seemed to be given first crack at things. He came up short. Sporadic accuracy.

graham showed why he is Graham. Master of the 5 yard out. No intermediate or deep touch.

childers was the only guy who improved his status in my opinion. Decent passes. Pretty agile for 230lbs.

hall can't hit the Astro turf from the sideline when passing. But man can he run. That throwing motion may need correcting.

thompson and rotherham will never see the field.
04-22-2017 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: "Spring Game" qb's
(04-22-2017 05:02 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Just a quick impression of the QBs play in the scrimmage today.

santa seemed to be given first crack at things. He came up short. Sporadic accuracy.

graham showed why he is Graham. Master of the 5 yard out. No intermediate or deep touch.

childers was the only guy who improved his status in my opinion. Decent passes. Pretty agile for 230lbs.

hall can't hit the Astro turf from the sideline when passing. But man can he run. That throwing motion may need correcting.

Thanks Squirrel. Appreciate the update and insight.

And for Thompson or Rotherham we are only a season removed from thinking that Tommy Fielder would never see the field, let only start in the MAC Championship Game! Disasters do happen and it's never good when you have to go two deep, let alone five.

Again, thanks.
04-22-2017 05:16 PM
Rabid Squirrel Online
Heisman

(04-22-2017 05:16 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  
(04-22-2017 05:02 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Just a quick impression of the QBs play in the scrimmage today.

And for Thompson or Rotherham we are only a season removed from thinking that Tommy Fielder would never see the field, let only start in the MAC Championship Game! Disasters do happen and it's never good when you have to go two deep, let alone five.

Again, thanks.

I don't mean to knock those two. Just wanted to evaluate them IMO as the last options. I was curious about Thompson, but my first impression wasn't great. No diamonds in the rough here. And Hall has a long way to go in the passing game. Childers was the best surprise today.
04-22-2017 05:25 PM
Ka-Ching! Guy Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-22-2017 05:25 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(04-22-2017 05:16 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  

Again, thanks.

I don't mean to knock those two. Just wanted to evaluate them IMO as the last options. I was curious about Thompson, but my first impression wasn't great. No diamonds in the rough here. And Hall has a long way to go in the passing game. Childers was the best surprise today.

Agree with Squirrel about Childers. I liked his presence behind center. Didn't cave when the defense pressured him, kept his composure. I got the impression he could run, which I think he showed, but had questions about his arm. I saw him in practice two weeks ago and liked what I saw. Today, I thought he led the offense well. Knew when to run, when to throw, and I thought he threaded a couple of nice throws. He had a couple of miscues, but outside of that, looked good.

Also agree about Graham, although, he looked better at the end of the practice at the end. Seemed a little more authoritative.
04-22-2017 05:35 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il

Childers did look the best. Seemed confident. Threw it away instead of forcing it. Looked like a qb. Nice touch on throws and patient runner.

Graham is up and down.

Santa was fast running. Also up and down.

Hall He is lightning fast as a runner but I agree his throwing motion changes everytime. He doesnt step into throws actually sidesteps which is odd. He is all upper body and whips it thus his accuracy is hit or miss. Had a terrible interception.
Hoping he gets redshirt to inprove mechanics.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
04-22-2017 06:49 PM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
As I said going into spring ball our best hope was that Childers would rise up and be the guy. It looks like that has now happened I only hope our coaching staff recognizes that. Start him now redshirt Hall and let Childers get a year under his belt before we play a tough schedule next year
04-22-2017 07:36 PM
Advertisement

Djud Offline
Special Teams

(04-22-2017 07:36 PM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  As I said going into spring ball our best hope was that Childers would rise up and be the guy. It looks like that has now happened I only hope our coaching staff recognizes that. Start him now redshirt Hall and let Childers get a year under his belt before we play a tough schedule next year

Wow, you saw 50 minutes of football, 2 series with each QB and we have our future figured out; amazing!
04-22-2017 07:54 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

(04-22-2017 07:54 PM)Djud Wrote:  
(04-22-2017 07:36 PM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  As I said going into spring ball our best hope was that Childers would rise up and be the guy. It looks like that has now happened I only hope our coaching staff recognizes that. Start him now redshirt Hall and let Childers get a year under his belt before we play a tough schedule next year

Wow, you saw 50 minutes of football, 2 series with each QB and we have our future figured out; amazing!
You are right. Small sample size so if a kid had a bad day today doesn't mean he doesn't have a chance. Realistically with 6 qbs all battling consistency is critical though.

Also they have that offer to the ex-louisville qb which probably means they don't see a clear cut winner at this point. These are all young men who have 4 more months of growth before the first game.

04-22-2017 08:05 PM
Rabid Squirrel Online
Heisman

To be fair, we've seen more than 50 minutes of Graham and Santa. I think at this point we are all looking for that third option. I won't speak for Ritz, but I evaluated Graham and Santa based on what I had already seen and looked for any signs of improvement. Then compared their play to the others. One outing doesn't define anyone, but you can only evaluate what you see in front of you. The QB position is a 3 man race IMO.
04-22-2017 08:09 PM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

RE: "Spring Game" qb'sn
(04-22-2017 08:09 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

To be fair, we've seen more than 50 minutes of Graham and Santa. I think at this point we are all looking for that third option. I won't speak for Ritz, but I evaluated Graham and Santa based on what I had already seen and looked for any signs of improvement. Then compared their play to the others. One outing doesn't define anyone, but you can only evaluate what you see in front of you. The QB position is a 3 man race IMO.

It should be a three man race; and it is ridiculous to conclude anything until well into the fall. Each will improve, and hopefully someone will earn the spot. We even have to be hopeful for Hall, who maybe fast but is the furthest thing from a QB right now.
04-22-2017 08:32 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Mechanics cannot improve over a redshirt year. Glad for the updates. Sounds Like Graham starts and if he falters or gets hurt Santa/Childers
04-22-2017 08:34 PM
Advertisement

Teamduh Offline
1st String

(04-22-2017 08:34 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Mechanics cannot improve over a redshirt year. Glad for the updates. Sounds Like Graham starts and if he falters or gets hurt Santa/Childers
Mechanics cannot improve in a year? Seems like a surprising statement. I'm hopeful they can.

Why dont u think they can improve?

04-22-2017 08:39 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(04-22-2017 08:32 PM)Djud Wrote:  

It should be a three man race; and it is ridiculous to conclude anything until well into the fall. Each will improve, and hopefully someone will earn the spot. We even have to be hopeful for Hall, who maybe fast but is the furthest thing from a QB right now.

Hope is a good thing---there was a time that Jordan Lynch was the furthest thing from a QB and didn't have the soundest throwing motion....that turned out quite well.

Thanks to all for the updates and thoughts....very much appreciated. Especially when we get a thread not dominated by negativity.

Forward Together Forward.
04-22-2017 09:03 PM
NIUTrekker Offline
2nd String

Was there any other positions or players who stood out? Would like to know how some of the skill positions looked as well as players on defense.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
04-22-2017 09:24 PM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

(04-22-2017 09:24 PM)NIUTrekker Wrote:  Was there any other positions or players who stood out? Would like to know how some of the skill positions looked as well as players on defense.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

It was basically a practice and a very short controlled scrimmage (contact to the ball no tackling) IMO there was very little to take from this. At this stage the D knows the O's plays. Nice day, nice atmosphere, not much more.
04-22-2017 09:33 PM
BDB5yp Offline
All American

(04-22-2017 08:32 PM)Djud Wrote:  

Maybe they'll start Childers and #burntheshirt on Hall for QB draw plays like they used Lynch at first.
04-22-2017 10:08 PM
Advertisement

Cowboy95 Offline
1st String

Oh boy, that gives me flashbacks of the 3 headed QB rotation from a few years ago with McIntosh, Hare, and Maddie. I sure hope this doesn't go down that same path.
04-22-2017 10:31 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(04-22-2017 10:31 PM)Cowboy95 Wrote:  

Oh boy, that gives me flashbacks of the 3 headed QB rotation from a few years ago with McIntosh, Hare, and Maddie. I sure hope this doesn't go down that same path.

That season turned out ok though didn't it.
04-22-2017 10:50 PM
Cowboy95 Offline
1st String

(04-22-2017 10:50 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  
(04-22-2017 10:31 PM)Cowboy95 Wrote:  

That season turned out ok though didn't it.

Good point. Still, I don't think rotating 3 QBs throughout a game is a good idea.
04-22-2017 10:58 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Was wondering how Childers was looking. Kinda feel like he's the forgotten guy as everyone always talks about Graham & Santa. Hopefully he steps up & impresses enough to win the job.
04-23-2017 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.