Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Murray St to MVC?
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: College Sports
Murray St to MVC?
Figures this deserves it's own thread.....
Looks interesting:
http://www.murraystate.edu/Libraries/Boa...t42117.pdf
04-20-2017 01:54 PM
Find all posts by this user

Fresno St. Alum Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno St.
RE: Murray St to MVC?
Okay, if this goes down, OVC fills w/? UNA? Lipscomb? Kennesaw St.?
04-20-2017 02:21 PM
Stugray2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: tOSU SJSU
UNA and KSU are under contract for their transition. They are off the table for the next 3-5 years.

Lipscomb would simply be for a 12th in basketball. Iit's more likely the OVC moves to a 20 game schedule. A big theme we are seeing in mid majors is wanting a 10th conference home game as a result of the difficulty in scheduling quality OOC opponents these days. This is about the only way to incrementally increase revenue.

AFAIK the OVC has no expansion plans. And it is far too late in the year to get a replacement for next year. We are talking 2018-19 at the earliest to add anyone, which means they might as well be deliberate. And I think they will be, as losing Murray State will rattle them. They have to get everybody on board for the next direction. That is why I think the repsonse will be to go to 20 game schedule, and possibly move the conference tournament back on campus.
04-20-2017 02:40 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I don't know if they would go to 20 though. Have to remember right now, they are only at 16.

I think they expand to 12 because 11 means you have byes. In a smaller league like that- byes aren't good.
04-20-2017 02:45 PM

Fresno St. Alum Offline
All American

(04-20-2017 02:40 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  UNA and KSU are under contract for their transition. They are off the table for the next 3-5 years.

Lipscomb would simply be for a 12th in basketball. Iit's more likely the OVC moves to a 20 game schedule. A big theme we are seeing in mid majors is wanting a 10th conference home game as a result of the difficulty in scheduling quality OOC opponents these days. This is about the only way to incrementally increase revenue.

AFAIK the OVC has no expansion plans. And it is far too late in the year to get a replacement for next year. We are talking 2018-19 at the earliest to add anyone, which means they might as well be deliberate. And I think they will be, as losing Murray State will rattle them. They have to get everybody on board for the next direction. That is why I think the repsonse will be to go to 20 game schedule, and possibly move the conference tournament back on campus.
If 11 is the new 1 bid conf. number then Big Sky will stay at 11 and the Big West should add UCSD and CSUB to make both the CSUs and UCs happy. But I think stever is right, they don't seem like a conf. worried about filling a sched. they had div. so that they only had to play 16. I Wonder if the 12th team would be a fb school or not. Would WIU leave the MVFC for OVC?
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 02:56 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
04-20-2017 02:51 PM
Stugray2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: tOSU SJSU
Lipscomb sucks and might drive other schools to leave. They don't have any other realistic choices.

I think they just have to live with it for awhile. They are under threat from other conferences for more poaching. EKU and SEIU have looked around in the recent past, this might kick start those. A couple others schools are potential targets as well (EIU, JSU). Also any further defections or weakening of the league by a weak addition could prompt Belmont to reconsider the MVC or other options (Horizon, SoCon).

The OVC has only 16 games because they play divisions. At 11 they lose the divisions. Strengthening interleague play might be a good way to reduce the chances of further defections.
04-20-2017 02:57 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
All American

(04-20-2017 02:57 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Lipscomb sucks and might drive other schools to leave. They don't have any other realistic choices.

I think they just have to live with it for awhile. They are under threat from other conferences for more poaching. EKU and SEIU have looked around in the recent past, this might kick start those. A couple others schools are potential targets as well (EIU, JSU). Also any further defections or weakening of the league by a weak addition could prompt Belmont to reconsider the MVC or other options (Horizon, SoCon).

The OVC has only 16 games because they play divisions. At 11 they lose the divisions. Strengthening interleague play might be a good way to reduce the chances of further defections.
Eyeball test tells me the Summit is a better conf. than the OVC now. Is that where SIUE is looking? EIU has football and really can't go to the Summit.
04-20-2017 03:00 PM

stever20 Online
Legend

(04-20-2017 02:57 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Lipscomb sucks and might drive other schools to leave. They don't have any other realistic choices.

understand the point about the 16, but the OVC has had 16 conference games since 2012(when they had 11 teams). I just don't think you can say automatically they go to 20 games. Teams might like having the 15 games OOC to get more buy games and also having home dates.
04-20-2017 03:03 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Well ... googling the property that the board of regents will be discussing (as listed on the agenda) ... and it looks like a house, maybe surrounded by campus ....

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhome...8337-04101

Not sure this is really much more than a regularly scheduled board meeting for Murray State.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 03:05 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
04-20-2017 03:04 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
All American

I Root For: the little guy
At the very least, if it's not the meeting to join the conference, it's the meeting where the BoR gives the president authority to enter negotiations with the MVC.
04-20-2017 03:14 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.