Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cincinnati and Mississippi State to start home and home basketball series next season
Bookmark and Share
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Cincinnati and Mississippi State to start home and home basketball series next season
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothst...xt-season/

Mississippi State was #147 in the RPI and 16-16 last year. However, 8 of their 9 rotation guys were either freshmen or sophomores. I think they will be a good team the next two years.

04-20-2017 01:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

RE: Cincinnati and Mississippi State to start home and home basketball series next season
If we can pick up at least one more quality opponent, we should have a very nice non-conference schedule.

Does anyone know what is going on with Michigan? Is that going to happen next year?

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 01:21 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
04-20-2017 01:21 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

RE: Cincinnati and Mississippi State
(04-20-2017 01:20 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothst...xt-season/

Mississippi State was #147 in the RPI and 16-16 last year. However, 8 of their 9 rotation guys were either freshmen or sophomores. I think they will be a good team the next two years.

RPI aside, there is value in "brand name" opponents so an SEC team on the schedule is good for fan interest and probably for TV too. UCLA and Mississippi State are welcome additions to future schedules.

04-20-2017 01:27 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

RE: Cincinnati and Mississippi State to start home and home basketball series next season
(04-20-2017 01:27 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(04-20-2017 01:20 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothst...xt-season/

RPI aside, there is value in "brand name" opponents so an SEC team on the schedule is good for fan interest and probably for TV too. UCLA and Mississippi State are welcome additions to future schedules.

As long as they don't lose guys to transfers or injuries, they should be a solid team the next two years. Their top 10 minutes guys consisted of 1 senior, 2 sophomores, and 7 freshmen. I think they will be a top 100 RPI team.

04-20-2017 01:33 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Cronin certainly seems to be making an effort to upgrade the OOC schedule.

04-20-2017 01:34 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
I expect MSU to improve to a more respectable level the next couple years with Howland.

04-20-2017 01:38 PM
Advertisement

geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
Hot damn. This is great, and I'm glad to see that at least one quality OOC opponent will be coming to NKU next year.

04-20-2017 01:41 PM
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
Ummm.....let's be real. MSU is not a brand name in basketball.

I support the series. However, I'm under no illusions that this is a real interesting thing.

I know how that all sounds, but i also understand how a Ritz cracker could taste like the best cut of steak to a starving man.

Hopefully we can score some series against some basketball relevant programs soon enough.

mc

04-20-2017 01:46 PM
crex043 Offline
All American

(04-20-2017 01:46 PM)marcuscan Wrote:  Ummm.....let's be real. MSU is not a brand name in basketball.

I support the series. However, I'm under no illusions that this is a real interesting thing.

I know how that all sounds, but i also understand how a Ritz cracker could taste like the best cut of steak to a starving man.

Hopefully we can score some series against some basketball relevant programs soon enough.

mc

MSU isn't a brand name. However, the SEC is. It's a relatively weak conference when it comes to basketball traditionally, but you don't hear any national pundits giving Kentucky a hard time about their conference schedule. Regardless of whether MSU is a top-50 team, they're an SEC team.

04-20-2017 01:48 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
It will be nice to see someone from a brand name conference play us in Cincinnati (kind of) next year. Even better if the team is struggling and we can clobber them.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 01:55 PM by TubaCat.)
04-20-2017 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-20-2017 01:46 PM)marcuscan Wrote:  Ummm.....let's be real. MSU is not a brand name in basketball.

mc

LOL! 03-lmfao

Agree MSU is not a brand-name basketball opponent, but they are a strong enough of a name to get the casual Cincinnati fan to drive down to NKU or turn on the television. It's terrible to say but there's more interest in us playing a Mississippi State than say a school like St. Mary's, Illinois State or VCU which are much better programs.

04-20-2017 01:55 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
The athletic department is doing some good stuff to offset this conference.

04-20-2017 02:09 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Would've been awesome if they could've gotten a home and home football series set up as part of this as well.

04-20-2017 02:24 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator

mc

It doesn't matter whether they are a brand name or not. You set your basketball program up for success by having quality teams on the schedule and ultimately getting wins against quality teams. Mississippi State is worst case scenario a decent team, very likely a top 100 RPI team next year and given their coach maybe they can be a borderline top 50 team. Another nice add to the Bearcat basketball schedule.

04-20-2017 02:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wanes Offline
1st String

I Root For: Anything Cincy

Loading up the 2018-2019 home schedule. New 5/3 is going to be rockin

04-20-2017 02:30 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

RPIs aside, it's great to see us going after some large conference teams w/home-and-home's. I wonder how much the addition of Wichita State has bolstered the reputation of the AAC as a basketball conference for some of these teams. Would love to see one more large conference opponent, maybe a team like Illinois or another Big East mid-level team like Seton Hall or Providence.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 03:02 PM by BearcatMan.)
04-20-2017 02:30 PM
Advertisement

dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
So much for the P5 ban.

04-20-2017 02:40 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(04-20-2017 02:40 PM)dsquare Wrote:  So much for the P5 ban.

It's almost as if that was all just BS Mick made up because he didn't want to play a decent OOC schedule. He upgraded a bit when we left the BE, but now he's taken the unmistakable message of the selection committee that he hasn't upgraded it enough to heart and is finally doing something about it.

04-20-2017 04:47 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Uhh, make no mistake, scheduling power 5 teams is, and will remain, very difficult.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

04-20-2017 05:01 PM
cpawfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I'm assuming that relationships between coaches play a factor in scheduling OOC games. Hopefully this is a sign of Mick working his network.

04-20-2017 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.