Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did anyone see U Minnesota Spring game?
Bookmark and Share
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
Did anyone see U Minnesota Spring game?
The University of Minnesota Spring Game replayed last night on The BIG 10 Network. Same old stuff Fleck did at WMU. Bunch of RAH RAH baloney. Group huddles, single file shoulder to shoulder line ups from one side of the stadium to the other. Just a smattering of fans. Fleck was wearing his Row The Boat Jacket. We'll see now how well he can coach with less talent than he had at WMU and playing in the BIG 10.
04-20-2017 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: Did anyone see U Minnesota Spring game?
I'm guessing he'll do well.
04-20-2017 02:09 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-20-2017 02:09 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I'm guessing he'll do well.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to win a Big Ten title. Watch out Urban.
04-20-2017 02:35 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

He will not be there long enough to win a big ten title. He is going to jump fast from this gig. Any success he is gone
04-20-2017 02:49 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(04-20-2017 02:35 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(04-20-2017 02:09 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I'm guessing he'll do well.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to win a Big Ten title. Watch out Urban.

Any given year there are four teams with a chance at a B 10 title. All of them are in Michigan, Ohio and either Wisconsin or Pa. If he goes undefeated in OOC games and comes up with some third or fourth B 10 finishes he'll exceed expectations.
04-20-2017 02:55 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

Once he strings together a few 6-4 bowl eligible seasons he will be gone, moving up on the coaches ladder
04-20-2017 04:13 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-20-2017 04:13 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  Once he strings together a few 6-4 bowl eligible seasons he will be gone, moving up on the coaches ladder

What will he do in the other 2 games?

If he only wins 6 games, that will be a drop off from the 8-4 his predecessor won before siding with players on an issue and ticking off the AD. Then they won their bowl game to finish 9-4.

He has a tall task to beat that record - which had no significant wins. His schedule in 2017 will include Michigan and Michigan State, but no Penn State - and nothing tough in the non conference games (Buffalo, Middle Tn. and Oregon State).

Given the schedule, they need to win all the out of conference games and get 5 B10 wins (they need to beat Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, and 2 others - but do not have Rutgers on the schedule unlike 2016)
04-20-2017 05:36 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I thought he called a good game but his major build was in recruiting. I was of the thought, he'd be able to do that at Minn based upon his personality but he's firing the exact same bullet he fired at WMU. Maybe he's genius but I surely can't see why he wanted to transplant that "row the boat" thing." New job, new ideas.
04-20-2017 05:49 PM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(04-20-2017 05:49 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  I thought he called a good game but his major build was in recruiting. I was of the thought, he'd be able to do that at Minn based upon his personality but he's firing the exact same bullet he fired at WMU. Maybe he's genius but I surely can't see why he wanted to transplant that "row the boat" thing." New job, new ideas.

He's not going to out talent teams Big 10, he's going to have to out coach some of the best coaches in football. And he's not creating the wheel in Minn. they have played in bowl games and won some nice wins under the last two coaches. They have had 8,8,6,9 wins the last four years. He can row all the boats he wants but winning 10 or more games in the Big 10 at Minn. and he'll be national coach of the year.
04-20-2017 07:40 PM
rkt Offline
2nd String

I Root For: toledo
Frankly, this all sounds like a bunch of sour grapes about a guy who built a better team than ours, kicked our ass, and did it all in freakin' Kalamazoo, Mi!

I have no idea how he's going to do there, and don't care, but I don't get the disparaging remarks. Actually, I do get them and they have the aroma of jealousy.
04-20-2017 08:07 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(04-20-2017 08:07 PM)rkt Wrote:  Frankly, this all sounds like a bunch of sour grapes about a guy who built a better team than ours, kicked our ass, and did it all in freakin' Kalamazoo, Mi!

I have no idea how he's going to do there, and don't care, but I don't get the disparaging remarks. Actually, I do get them and they have the aroma of jealousy.

Agree
04-20-2017 08:48 PM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

You are right on with your comments. Nemesis for the Rockets has been NIU in the past and last few years WMU.
04-20-2017 08:52 PM
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

He was 2-2 vs. Toledo. We beat WMU at Western and smoked them in Toledo like 65-13. It's not jealousy, I just think he's not all that.
04-20-2017 11:41 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
I was never a big fan of Fleck's rah-rah "row the boat style" of coaching although I can't argue that it wasn't wildly successful for him and his program. I hold no animosity against Fleck or WMU for the costly debacle at the Glass Bowl that Friday in November back in 2015 because in my book the total and complete responsibility for that fiasco was 100% on Matt Campbell. I will admit to being a bit envious of the fact that Fleck was able to take WMU football to level that UT football has never yet achieved ---a New Year's bowl match up with a P5 power----but then Fleck wasn't the first to lead a MAC school to that pinnacle either so no reason to single him out for abuse on that count either.

As far as the MAC goes P.J. Fleck is totally so yesterday that he would probably not even merit a comment on this board except that currently with no FB or BB going on at the moment things are kind of quiet so talking about Fleck is just something to do to pass time during the off seasons.
04-21-2017 03:06 PM
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

My thoughts exactly T-Town. I saw the game and since there is no BB or FB, why not throw it out there for discussion.
04-21-2017 03:13 PM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(04-20-2017 11:41 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  He was 2-2 vs. Toledo. We beat WMU at Western and smoked them in Toledo like 65-13. It's not jealousy, I just think he's not all that.

Yeah and the Rockets beat themselves in game #3 with the fumbled punt and the personal foul with a game ejection.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2017 04:37 PM by Boca Rocket.)
04-21-2017 04:36 PM
Advertisement

utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

(04-21-2017 04:36 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(04-20-2017 11:41 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  He was 2-2 vs. Toledo. We beat WMU at Western and smoked them in Toledo like 65-13. It's not jealousy, I just think he's not all that.

Yeah and the Rockets beat themselves in game #3 with the fumbled punt and the personal foul with a game ejection.

Agree, last season was the only game that was lopsided. It will interesting how they do this year.
04-21-2017 05:05 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

The draft might be telling. WMU has a couple players ESPN projects going early rounds. That would show his worth. I don't see any reason Minn can't compete with all but a couple B10 teams in the recruiting game. He did have a couple recruiting fiascos, I was surprised by Minn taking him so time-close to that. I doubt they will be tolerant.
04-22-2017 09:22 AM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-21-2017 04:36 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

You did have bring THAT up! 03-banghead
04-23-2017 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Say what you will about P.J., he's no Bobby Hurley!
04-23-2017 04:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.