Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten TV
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: College Sports
Big Ten TV
will be really interesting to see who gets what games for the Big Ten when the tv schedule is released. You assume that Fox will select 1st the Ohio St/Michigan weekend. ESPN gets next choice. Do they take Oklahoma/Ohio St week 2? Notre Dame/Michigan St week 4?
04-20-2017 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

MplsBison Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: Big Ten TV
When will it be announced?
04-20-2017 11:07 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Will be very interested to see. Timing will matter on the games some. Notre Dame/Michigan State would be very compelling. Other candidates I think are Penn State vs. Michigan on October 21st and Penn State at Ohio State on October 28th. With all three of the programs looking strong last year, I think there will be big decisions there.

My best guess is that they take Penn State vs. Michigan. All else being equal, Ohio State vs. Penn State is a tad bigger as it has taken on a somewhat rivalry feel, but with Penn State vs. Michigan a week earlier, both teams are more likely to be undefeated going into it or at least not coming off a loss. If Penn State losses that game, it would take a little off the Ohio State/Penn State game as a result. On the flip side though, if Penn State wins that game, the Ohio State vs. Penn State game becomes all the bigger.

Other conferences schedules matter here too. If ESPN has a huge SEC match-up in a week, they can more easily pass on a big Big Ten game than in a week where they don't have as many other big games.

Very early guess (without going through most of schedule) is the order will be:

1. Ohio State/Michigan (FOX)
2. Michigan/Penn State (ABC/ESPN)
3. Notre Dame/Michigan State (FOX-they don't get as much Notre Dame)
4. Ohio State/Penn State (ABC/ESPN)
5. Oklahoma/Ohio State (FOX)
6. Wisconsin/Nebraska (ABC/ESPN)
04-20-2017 11:08 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(04-20-2017 11:07 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  When will it be announced?

Have not seen anything with new contract so hard to say, but assuming schools are still told ahead of time night games, I would imagine by early summer (since that would effect the selections).
04-20-2017 11:09 AM

MplsBison Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Penn St is going to be hot this year. Not so sure the Ohio St Penn St game isn't picked second!
04-20-2017 11:11 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Big Ten TV
(04-20-2017 11:11 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Penn St is going to be hot this year. Not so sure the Ohio St Penn St game isn't picked second!

.jpg  ImageUploadedByCSNbbs1492705087.500382.jpg (Size: 204.35 KB / Downloads: 15)
04-20-2017 11:18 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

another thing that could make the decisions is what the 2nd game available in a weekend is.

case in point- the weekend with Ohio St hosting Oklahoma- the next best game available is Cincy/Michigan.

Michigan/Penn St week- looking- next best game is Iowa/Northwestern.
Penn St/Ohio St week- looking- next best game is Mich St/Northwestern probably
so not too much of a difference there at all. So knowing that you'd get either Michigan/Penn St or Penn St/Ohio St- you would want to take #2 Ohio St/Oklahoma.
04-20-2017 11:24 AM

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(04-20-2017 10:55 AM)stever20 Wrote:  will be really interesting to see who gets what games for the Big Ten when the tv schedule is released. You assume that Fox will select 1st the Ohio St/Michigan weekend. ESPN gets next choice. Do they take Oklahoma/Ohio St week 2? Notre Dame/Michigan St week 4?

Usually these are done weekly, not season-wise. Meaning if Fox gets first choice each week, say for example like CBS does with SEC football games, then they will get pretty much every "best" matchup of the week.
04-20-2017 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

(04-20-2017 11:27 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(04-20-2017 10:55 AM)stever20 Wrote:  will be really interesting to see who gets what games for the Big Ten when the tv schedule is released. You assume that Fox will select 1st the Ohio St/Michigan weekend. ESPN gets next choice. Do they take Oklahoma/Ohio St week 2? Notre Dame/Michigan St week 4?

Usually these are done weekly, not season-wise. Meaning if Fox gets first choice each week, say for example like CBS does with SEC football games, then they will get pretty much every "best" matchup of the week.
that's not how the Big Ten deal is done. Fox and ESPN will choose weeks prior to the season of who gets the 1st choice. So Fox does NOT get the #1 selection each and every week.
04-20-2017 11:35 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

from when it was done:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journ...g-Ten.aspx

The difference between the two packages is that Fox Sports will carry the Big Ten football championship game every season, which is a strong draw each December. Fox also will have game selection advantages over ESPN, which almost certainly means that the coveted Michigan-Ohio State rivalry will move to Fox most years.

Before each season, the networks will pick the weeks where they get first choice of games. Fox will have the first pick every year; ESPN will have the second; Fox will have the third, and so on.
04-20-2017 11:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.