Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Netflix: Nope, we don't want sports
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Exclamation Netflix: Nope, we don't want sports
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegou...y,amp.html

“Investors ask us about Amazon’s move into NFL football. That is not a strategy that we think is smart for us since we believe we can earn more viewing and satisfaction from spending that money on movies and TV shows,” Netflix noted Monday in its shareholder letter.

In the U.S., Netflix is expected to grow its audience to 128 million individual users this year, capturing 66 percent of the over-the-top (OTT) — as in over-the-Internet — viewing market, according to digital analytics firm eMarketer (which also estimates that there are 2.5 viewers for every 1 paid subscription). Amazon, meanwhile, will reach more than 85 million U.S. viewers this year, or 44 percent of OTT viewers.

But rather than competing with Amazon, Netflix is competing with sleep, CEO Reed Hastings insisted to investors in a video conference call.

66% share is huge...but I have to agree with their choice; their viewers like their original shows, comedies, and series commercial free and on demand at the viewer's instant request. There are entire seasons of episodes for kids to watch when you want to keep them busy. Heck, my gf's three year old was getting mad when tv commercials were interrupting his viewing of Paw Patrol on DIRECTV. I looked at his in disgust saying "you got a dozen 24/7 channels similar to this and all you gotta do is sit through a commercial break." I remember if I didn't finish my homework on time I'd miss that afternoon's cartoon shows on the major networks and get stuck with Jepoardy and Wheel of Fortune before the evening news put me to sleep.

Rant over.

I just upgraded to Dirctv now streaming on AT&T. I have access to all the channels I want except for Beinsports which seems to want to charge $15/month on their own for some reason as opposed to just being part of other streaming packages. I'm happy so far.
04-19-2017 01:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Netflix: Nope, we don't want sports
(04-19-2017 01:04 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegou...y,amp.html

“Investors ask us about Amazon’s move into NFL football. That is not a strategy that we think is smart for us since we believe we can earn more viewing and satisfaction from spending that money on movies and TV shows,” Netflix noted Monday in its shareholder letter.

In the U.S., Netflix is expected to grow its audience to 128 million individual users this year, capturing 66 percent of the over-the-top (OTT) — as in over-the-Internet — viewing market, according to digital analytics firm eMarketer (which also estimates that there are 2.5 viewers for every 1 paid subscription). Amazon, meanwhile, will reach more than 85 million U.S. viewers this year, or 44 percent of OTT viewers.

But rather than competing with Amazon, Netflix is competing with sleep, CEO Reed Hastings insisted to investors in a video conference call.

66% share is huge...but I have to agree with their choice; their viewers like their original shows, comedies, and series commercial free and on demand at the viewer's instant request. There are entire seasons of episodes for kids to watch when you want to keep them busy. Heck, my gf's three year old was getting mad when tv commercials were interrupting his viewing of Paw Patrol on DIRECTV. I looked at his in disgust saying "you got a dozen 24/7 channels similar to this and all you gotta do is sit through a commercial break." I remember if I didn't finish my homework on time I'd miss that afternoon's cartoon shows on the major networks and get stuck with Jepoardy and Wheel of Fortune before the evening news put me to sleep.

Rant over.

I just upgraded to Dirctv now streaming on AT&T. I have access to all the channels I want except for Beinsports which seems to want to charge $15/month on their own for some reason as opposed to just being part of other streaming packages. I'm happy so far.

And I have Uverse. It's wonderful compared to DirectTV. It took our community 3 years to get the fiber optics, but it's the best viewing experience of my life. And, ....it's cheaper than Direct TV.
04-19-2017 01:40 AM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Netflix: Nope, we don't want sports
(04-19-2017 01:40 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-19-2017 01:04 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegou...y,amp.html

Rant over.

And I have Uverse. It's wonderful compared to DirectTV. It took our community 3 years to get the fiber optics, but it's the best viewing experience of my life. And, ....it's cheaper than Direct TV.

I'm waiting on fiber optics too, just not sure when or if they'll be installed
04-19-2017 10:58 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Netflix: Nope, we don't want sports
(04-19-2017 10:58 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(04-19-2017 01:40 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Rant over.

I'm waiting on fiber optics too, just not sure when or if they'll be installed

That makes two of us. Dish is cheaper than Direct.
04-19-2017 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.