WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Football News has us as the biggest disappointment in the MAC
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU & UofM
College Football News has us as the biggest disappointment in the MAC
Everyone has us going 0-2 it seems. I hope Sharty goes into week 2 thinking easy W. hard to argue with the 8-4 call, could happen. I guess technically it would be most disappointing in the conference given that we had the only team that really accomplished anything last season. So anything short of repeating as MACC would be. http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/coll...pointments
04-14-2017 09:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

RE: College Football News has us as the biggest disappointment in the MAC
Their pre-spring ranking has us at 82nd. That was before the Spillane cluster-F. Here's their complete breakdown. http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/2017...an-broncos
04-14-2017 10:03 PM
Potro Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU
CFN has already christened Tom Flacco as the starting QB. Anyone tell Lester that? I'm looking forward to today's spring game to see how Flacco, Wassink and our unknown receivers play.
04-15-2017 05:58 AM
ColinApocalypse Offline

8-4 is pretty darn good for a 1st year coach. Especially with USC and MSU on the schedule. I don't think I would consider that a disappointment.
04-15-2017 09:02 AM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

(04-15-2017 09:02 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  8-4 is pretty darn good for a 1st year coach. Especially with USC and MSU on the schedule. I don't think I would consider that a disappointment.

I would be. That means we likely lost 2 in conference.
04-15-2017 10:36 AM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(04-15-2017 10:36 AM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 09:02 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  8-4 is pretty darn good for a 1st year coach. Especially with USC and MSU on the schedule. I don't think I would consider that a disappointment.

New coaching staff, new quarterback, new receivers, harder schedule.

I think we have a good team, but I doubt we win 10 games this year.
04-15-2017 12:30 PM
Advertisement

All American

(04-15-2017 12:30 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 10:36 AM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  

New coaching staff, new quarterback, new receivers, harder schedule.

I think we have a good team, but I doubt we win 10 games this year.

I actually don't have much disagreement with you on this. I just think that if we lose more than one conference game, I will be disappointed. It shouldn't happen with the defense we return, as well as the offensive line and running game. So 9-3 is kind of the minimum of what I'm looking for.
04-15-2017 01:33 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
9-3 with all the challenges we have this season would be stellar. If we achieve that, the Lester Program is taking off in good fashion.
04-15-2017 04:05 PM
wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO

Colin, are you already making excuses? We had Flecktards, now what are we going to call Lester fanboys? moLesters?

I am joking...just seems that PJs big mouth bought him no margin for error.
04-15-2017 04:06 PM
All American

(04-15-2017 04:05 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  9-3 with all the challenges we have this season would be stellar. If we achieve that, the Lester Program is taking off in good fashion.

All the challenges? I guarantee you guys that Lester isn't going to be making the excuses that you are.

This is the top defense in the MAC in all likelihood. Or should be. And no team in the MAC has been able to stop our offense for the better part of two years. Yes, we have to replace important pieces, but the most important part, the O line is still well intact and talented. No reason we should lose more than a game in conference.
04-15-2017 04:13 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(04-15-2017 04:13 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 04:05 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  9-3 with all the challenges we have this season would be stellar. If we achieve that, the Lester Program is taking off in good fashion.

All the challenges? I guarantee you guys that Lester isn't going to be making the excuses that you are.

This is the top defense in the MAC in all likelihood. Or should be. And no team in the MAC has been able to stop our offense for the better part of two years. Yes, we have to replace important pieces, but the most important part, the O line is still well intact and talented. No reason we should lose more than a game in conference.

Nobody is 'making excuses', but we have a new coaching staff, new starting QB, new starting WRer trifecta. We lost Spillane and our starting NG. And we lost our record-setting Kicker. Even with those guys we won many of our games in the 2nd half last season, we didn't overwhelm NIU, EMU or Ohio.

Let's face it, we had a wee bit of luck last season. Our two Big 10 games were against bottom feeders in that conference, luck of the draw. Everything worked out for PJ Fleck, he must have been saying the right prayers.

If you don't think we have 'challenges' replacing Terrell, Davis and Moton-not to mention our kicker-you're delusional.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 04:24 PM by BroncoPhilly.)
04-15-2017 04:23 PM
Advertisement

All American

(04-15-2017 04:23 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 04:13 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  

Nobody is 'making excuses', but we have a new coaching staff, new starting QB, new starting WRer trifecta. We lost Spillane and our starting NG. And we lost our record-setting Kicker. Even with those guys we won many of our games in the 2nd half last season, we didn't overwhelm NIU, EMU or Ohio.

Let's face it, we had a wee bit of luck last season. Our two Big 10 games were against bottom feeders in that conference, luck of the draw. Everything worked out for PJ Fleck, he must have been saying the right prayers.

If you don't think we have 'challenges' replacing Terrell, Davis and Moton-not to mention our kicker-you're delusional.

Who in the MAC West beside Toledo is comparable to WMU? Who in the East do the play is comparable? They play Buffalo, Kent and Akron.

You scared of that? Even with everything, we still have more talent.
04-15-2017 04:32 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

They peg us as the MAC's possible "big disappointment" and predict our record as 8-4.

'Disappointment' means performing well under expectations (see MSU last year). Thing is, I think most people figure us around 8, maybe 9, wins next year. So that record, while a step back, wouldn't be a disappointment.
04-15-2017 06:56 PM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
WMU still loaded. Everyone with a pair of eyes feels the same.
04-15-2017 10:42 PM
Potro Offline
2nd String

(04-15-2017 06:56 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  They peg us as the MAC's possible "big disappointment" and predict our record as 8-4.

'Disappointment' means performing well under expectations (see MSU last year). Thing is, I think most people figure us around 8, maybe 9, wins next year. So that record, while a step back, wouldn't be a disappointment.

I don't see why an 8-4 record would make us a big disappointment. As others have pointed out, given a new staff along with unproven QB and inexperienced receivers, you have to expect a lesser record than last year (not even mentioning the tougher OOC schedule). PJ did not do us any favors last year by keeping the starters in so long during games with significant leads.
04-16-2017 06:10 AM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(04-16-2017 06:10 AM)Potro Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 06:56 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  They peg us as the MAC's possible "big disappointment" and predict our record as 8-4.

I don't see why an 8-4 record would make us a big disappointment. As others have pointed out, given a new staff along with unproven QB and inexperienced receivers, you have to expect a lesser record than last year (not even mentioning the tougher OOC schedule). PJ did not do us any favors last year by keeping the starters in so long during games with significant leads.

PJ had his eyes on bigger programs last season, he kept our starters in with that in mind.
04-16-2017 09:35 AM
Advertisement

Potro Offline
2nd String

(04-16-2017 09:35 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  
(04-16-2017 06:10 AM)Potro Wrote:  

PJ had his eyes on bigger programs last season, he kept our starters in with that in mind.

That was very obvious, even at the time.
04-16-2017 12:59 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:8-4 is pretty darn good for a 1st year coach. Especially with USC and MSU on the schedule. I don't think I would consider that a disappointment.

And most notably, losing our star QB & WR -- along with other senior WRs who were the other main go-tos, with a 1st timer QB coming in. I would say Spillane leaving -- but he's coming back, which is a big sigh of relief. Hopefully he juices our D up and everything.

I would say 8-4 would be very good with 2 given-losses. Yeah, yeah, MSU isn't a "given loss" if we had last year's team... and Certainly more like a we-should-win if it was last year's MSU team to boot. But last year was "bizzaro world" comparing the two teams, and this one's coming back down to earth. @USC + @MSU + @NIU + @Toledo ... you could say we will win of those on the road -- OK. But EASILY just as much say we'd lose one of the other 8 games, too.

I put 8-4 as a solid "par" with a smile. I would say it would be mildly disappointing if we turned out where we "lucked out" to be 8-4, on how things play out... VS a better season where we were only a putt or two away from being 9-3 or better, but ended up 8-4.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 12:56 PM by toddjnsn.)
04-20-2017 12:50 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

[quote='toddjnsn' pid='14280660' dateline='1492710626']
[quote]8-4 is pretty darn good for a 1st year coach. Especially with USC and MSU on the schedule. I don't think I would consider that a disappointment. [/quote

I would say 8-4 would be very good with 2 given-losses. Yeah, yeah, MSU isn't a "given loss" if we had last year's team... and Certainly more like a we-should-win if it was last year's MSU team to boot. But last year was "bizzaro world" comparing the two teams, and this one's coming back down to earth. @USC + @MSU + @NIU + @Toledo ... you could say we will win of those on the road -- OK. But EASILY just as much say we'd lose one of the other 8 games, too.

[/quote]

We take a step back considering the massive losses on offense but our defense could be better than last seasons.
MSU is not much improved from a 3-9 season. Same coaching staff with multiple flaws. Lost a big play RB, stud DT, 3 OL, 2S and a CB to graduation. Their QB situation is not much better than ours and their starter is coming back from a broken leg. 3 players and a staffer still under investigation in sexual assault case. A 4th player under investigation for an unrelated sexual assault. A LB dismissed from team for racist comments toward a teammate. That's A LOT to overcome and they could be worse than last season. https://athlonsports.com/college-footbal...ll-preview
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 04:46 PM by WMUlaxer97.)
04-20-2017 02:35 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(04-20-2017 02:35 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  [quote='toddjnsn' pid='14280660' dateline='1492710626']
Quote:8-4 is pretty darn good for a 1st year coach. Especially with USC and MSU on the schedule. I don't think I would consider that a disappointment. [/quote

We take a step back considering the massive losses on offense but our defense could be better than last seasons.
MSU is not much improved from a 3-9 season. Same coaching staff with multiple flaws. Lost a big play RB, stud DT, 3 OL, 2S and a CB to graduation. Their QB situation is not much better than ours and their starter is coming back from a broken leg. 3 players and a staffer still under investigation in sexual assault case. A 4th player under investigation for an unrelated sexual assault. A LB dismissed from team for racist comments toward a teammate. That's A LOT to overcome and they could be worse than last season. https://athlonsports.com/college-footbal...ll-preview

It is always a pleasure to see Sparty struggle.

Likewise for the Wolverines.
04-20-2017 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.