Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hey, anyone in the stands wanna pitch?
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
Hey, anyone in the stands wanna pitch?
Let's just let the first 9 fans in the gates get an inning each. We'd get the same results and might drum up some more fan support.
04-14-2017 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
RE: Hey, anyone in the stands wanna pitch?
Offense needs to get over it's early in the game scoring and then going into a coma routine. Tuesday's win against the Coogs was just about the lone exception to this pattern all season long.
04-14-2017 10:15 PM
lauderdaleowl Offline
Banned

(04-14-2017 09:39 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  Let's just let the first 9 fans in the gates get an inning each. We'd get the same results and might drum up some more fan support.

Can someone please explain why Moss was put in for one batter? Why...I don't get why he was even put in first of all but then 1 batter. Truly perplexing. In addition to the first 9 fans how about we let the 1700th fan coach the team
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2017 10:19 PM by lauderdaleowl.)
04-14-2017 10:16 PM
Old Sammy Offline
1st String

I Root For: truffles

New Orleans BowlDonators
(04-14-2017 10:16 PM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 09:39 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  Let's just let the first 9 fans in the gates get an inning each. We'd get the same results and might drum up some more fan support.

Can someone please explain why Moss was put in for one batter? Why...I don't get why he was even put in first of all but then 1 batter. Truly perplexing. In addition to the first 9 fans how about we let the 1700th fan coach the team

re Moss:
a) he walked the first and only hitter he faced.
b) LH hitter up next, ergo LH pitcher. Playing lefty/righty games at this level drives me crazy.
04-15-2017 05:26 AM
lauderdaleowl Offline
Banned

(04-15-2017 05:26 AM)Old Sammy Wrote:  

re Moss:
b) LH hitter up next, ergo LH pitcher. Playing lefty/righty games at this level drives me crazy.

Lefty righty matchups is overrated even at this level. Also people are complaining about pitchers throwing strikes at the D1 level. Well taking Moss out after one batter is all you need to know about giving our pitchers confidence or in this case an example taking it away. All too often the first batter gets a hit or walk and the pitcher is immediately yanked except for Amador who for some unexplained reason is allowed to be the human Piñata.
04-15-2017 08:10 AM
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Winning
(04-15-2017 08:10 AM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  

re Moss:

Lefty righty matchups is overrated even at this level. Also people are complaining about pitchers throwing strikes at the D1 level. Well taking Moss out after one batter is all you need to know about giving our pitchers confidence or in this case an example taking it away. All too often the first batter gets a hit or walk and the pitcher is immediately yanked except for Amador who for some unexplained reason is allowed to be the human Piñata.

I never cared for left/right strategies either. You should know however Graham has emphasized these to the dismay of these boards for decades. It's not an old guy doesn't get it thing that you and your soft buddies may be thinking. We...yes we...have won many a games with those decisions before this year.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 08:36 AM by BufflOwl.)
04-15-2017 08:36 AM
Advertisement

lauderdaleowl Offline
Banned

(04-15-2017 08:42 AM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 08:36 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 10:16 PM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  Can someone please explain why Moss was put in for one batter? Why...I don't get why he was even put in first of all but then 1 batter. Truly perplexing. In addition to the first 9 fans how about we let the 1700th fan coach the team

re Moss:

I never cared for left/right strategies either. You should know however Graham has emphasized these to the dismay of these boards for decades. It's not an old guy doesn't get it thing that you and your soft buddies may be thinking. We...yes we...have won many a games with those decisions before this year.

Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end........ tell me old wise one (Mr. BuffOwl), explain why Amador keeps getting handed the ball. Does he have pictures?
04-15-2017 08:53 AM
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

(04-14-2017 10:16 PM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  Can someone please explain why Moss was put in for one batter? Why...I don't get why he was even put in first of all but then 1 batter. Truly perplexing. In addition to the first 9 fans how about we let the 1700th fan coach the team

re Moss:

Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end........ tell me old wise one, explain why Amador keeps getting handed the ball. Does he have pictures?

Your right we did. So wrong of Walt and others to think these guys were good enough to keep it going. Someday these guys will get to tell interviewers "Yeah Rice was good till I got there. No. Sorry I didn't go to Omaha or a Conference Tournament."

As for Amador. I don't know and don't care. As far as I'm concerned nobody on this team deserves to be wearing that R much less toeing the mound at Reckling. So my question to you is why not? It's all pathetic.
04-15-2017 08:54 AM
lauderdaleowl Offline
Banned

(04-15-2017 08:54 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 05:26 AM)Old Sammy Wrote:  re Moss:

Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end........ tell me old wise one, explain why Amador keeps getting handed the ball. Does he have pictures?

Your right we did. So wrong of Walt and others to think these guys were good enough to keep it going. Someday these guys will get to tell interviewers "Yeah Rice was good till I got there. No. Sorry I didn't go to Omaha or a Conference Tournament."

As for Amador. I don't know and don't care. As far as I'm concerned nobody on this team deserves to be wearing that R much less toeing the mound at Reckling. So my question to you is why not? It's all pathetic.

Otto and DiCaprio have talent. You can't throw everyone under the bus. This season is however pathetic. This is going to a whole new level. Literally basement dwellers. The team that people take out behind the woodshed.
04-15-2017 08:57 AM
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

(04-15-2017 08:57 AM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 08:10 AM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  Lefty righty matchups is overrated even at this level. Also people are complaining about pitchers throwing strikes at the D1 level. Well taking Moss out after one batter is all you need to know about giving our pitchers confidence or in this case an example taking it away. All too often the first batter gets a hit or walk and the pitcher is immediately yanked except for Amador who for some unexplained reason is allowed to be the human Piñata.

Otto and DiCaprio have talent. You can't throw everyone under the bus. This season is however pathetic. This is going to a whole new level. Literally basement dwellers. The team that people take out behind the woodshed.

Great teams talk and work in unison. They don't allow for exception. Whether it's in the deragatory as you do with Amador or in the complimentary as you did with Otto and DiCaprio. The best teams are one. Whether that's a champion or thrown under the bus. Clearly you don't and I'd bet your friends don't understand that at all.
04-15-2017 09:18 AM
lauderdaleowl Offline
Banned

(04-15-2017 09:18 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 08:36 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  I never cared for left/right strategies either. You should know however Graham has emphasized these to the dismay of these boards for decades. It's not an old guy doesn't get it thing that you and your soft buddies may be thinking. We...yes we...have won many a games with those decisions before this year.

Great teams talk and work in unison. They don't allow for exception. Whether it's in the deragatory as you do with Amador or in the complimentary as you did with Otto and DiCaprio. The best teams are one. Whether that's a champion or thrown under the bus. Clearly you don't and I'd bet your friends don't understand that at all.

Hey Buffy, leave it as a Rice baseball debate and stop trying to insinuate things. Thanks for the insight of how a champion thinks LMAO. Maybe you can interview for the Head Coaching job when Graham retires and show everyone how it is done. Go Owls.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 10:19 AM by lauderdaleowl.)
04-15-2017 10:01 AM
Advertisement

BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

(04-15-2017 10:01 AM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 08:42 AM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end........ tell me old wise one, explain why Amador keeps getting handed the ball. Does he have pictures?

Hey Buffy, leave it as a Rice baseball debate and stop trying to insinuate things. Thanks for the insight of how a champion thinks LMAO. Maybe you can interview for the Head Coaching job when Graham retires and show everyone how it is done. Go Owls.

What exactly about any of your posts are up for debate? As far as I read them, they are nothing but jabs at players you don't like and a head coach you clearly have an agenda against.. Riddle me a question for debate and we'll chat. Otherwise, I'll just keep pointing all the things about this entire team that are unbecoming of the Rice program we've been rooting for since you were in diapers.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 10:28 AM by BufflOwl.)
04-15-2017 10:24 AM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(04-15-2017 08:36 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  I never cared for left/right strategies either. You should know however Graham has emphasized these to the dismay of these boards for decades. It's not an old guy doesn't get it thing that you and your soft buddies may be thinking. We...yes we...have won many a games with those decisions before this year.

Exactly.

Frankly, I'm sick of seeing one specific player called out on this board. My son plays baseball and runs track/cross-country.

If I overheard him throwing a teammate under the bus, I promise he'd be having some miserable weekend training runs.

You think any of these kids WANT to be having a mediocre season?
04-15-2017 05:26 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(04-15-2017 05:26 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 08:42 AM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end........ tell me old wise one, explain why Amador keeps getting handed the ball. Does he have pictures?

Exactly.

Frankly, I'm sick of seeing one specific player called out on this board. My son plays baseball and runs track/cross-country.

If I overheard him throwing a teammate under the bus, I promise he'd be having some miserable weekend training runs.

With all due respect, this in NOT a "mediocre" season. That would be like saying George McGovern had a mediocre result in '72.
04-15-2017 05:42 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(04-15-2017 05:42 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 08:54 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  Your right we did. So wrong of Walt and others to think these guys were good enough to keep it going. Someday these guys will get to tell interviewers "Yeah Rice was good till I got there. No. Sorry I didn't go to Omaha or a Conference Tournament."

Exactly.

With all due respect, this in NOT a "mediocre" season. That would be like saying George McGovern had a mediocre result in '72.

Understand. Performance varies player to player and game to game.

The point stands. It's a team effort. And I don't think it speaks well of anyone, whether on the team, or in the Parliament to single any player out for abuse.

It's the coaches' jobs to critique play, work on improving play and make decisions on who plays.

We're all entitled to opinions, but fans singling individual college players out for public abuse (verbal or written) says a lot more about the fan than the player.
04-15-2017 05:58 PM
lauderdaleowl Offline
Banned

(04-15-2017 05:58 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 08:57 AM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  Otto and DiCaprio have talent. You can't throw everyone under the bus. This season is however pathetic. This is going to a whole new level. Literally basement dwellers. The team that people take out behind the woodshed.

Exactly.

The point stands. It's a team effort. And I don't think it speaks well of anyone, whether on the team, or in the Parliament to single any player out for abuse.

It's the coaches' jobs to critique play, work on improving play and make decisions on who plays.

We're all entitled to opinions, but fans singling individual college players out for public abuse (verbal or written) says a lot more about the fan than the player.
Not that others don't consistently call out players or questions who is playing however I will refrain from using a name. Lets just say why do we keep handing the ball to a pitcher with a 1.67 WHIP and .281 BAA
04-15-2017 08:55 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(04-15-2017 08:55 PM)lauderdaleowl Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 09:18 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  Great teams talk and work in unison. They don't allow for exception. Whether it's in the deragatory as you do with Amador or in the complimentary as you did with Otto and DiCaprio. The best teams are one. Whether that's a champion or thrown under the bus. Clearly you don't and I'd bet your friends don't understand that at all.

Exactly.

Not that others don't consistently call out players or questions who is playing however I will refrain from using a name. Lets just say why do we keep handing the ball to a pitcher with a 1.67 WHIP and .281 BAA

Because he has talent, just as he showed against the Aggies and LSU last year, and against USM today. Same reason we kept our 2B in the lineup when he was hitting under the Mendoza Line for the last 5 weeks, until finally breaking out this week.
04-15-2017 08:58 PM
lauderdaleowl Offline
Banned

(04-15-2017 08:58 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 05:26 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  Exactly.

Because he has talent, just as he showed against the Aggies and LSU last year, and against USM today. Same reason we kept our 2B in the lineup when he was hitting under the Mendoza Line for the last 5 weeks, until finally breaking out this week.

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds claiming performance doesn't matter. Then again perhaps it doesn't this year. My point is why is he constantly used over others despite poor performance is in question. Here are the stats below which is a 3 year sample not just one year. Please lend me those X-ray glasses you are using.
Year Team Lg Level Unif# Org Age Diff W L ERA G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO WP BK HB WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 K/BB
2015 Rice ConfUSA College 42 19 0 0 9.00 6 2 0 0 0 9.0 10 9 9 3 4 11 0 1 1.56 10.00 3.00 4.00 11.00 2.75
2016 Rice ConfUSA College 42 so 20 2 2 5.36 19 8 0 0 0 47.0 56 34 28 4 15 37 3 0 1.51 10.72 0.77 2.87 7.09 2.47
2017 Rice ConfUSA College - 21 0 4 6.67 14 5 0 0 0 27.0 31 23 20 2 15 26 1 0 1.70 10.33 0.67 5.00 8.67 1.73
MLB: Average per 162 Games 0 0 6.67 68 0 0 0 0 0 918 1,054 0 680 68 510 884 0 0 0 1.70 10.33 0.67 5.00 8.67 1.73
NCAA (3 seasons) 2 6 6.18 39 15 0 0 0 0 83 97 66 57 9 34 74 4 1 0 1.58 10.52 0.98 3.69 8.02 2.18
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 09:08 PM by lauderdaleowl.)
04-15-2017 09:01 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(04-15-2017 08:58 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 05:26 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  Exactly.

Saying "Amador is a terrible person who shouldn't be allowed on the Rice campus because he's struggled pitching" is unacceptable. Saying "Amador shouldn't pitch because he has blown multiple games this season" is not.
04-15-2017 09:01 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

In fairness to Graham, you can't play a season with only six pitchers and Amador has been our 7th best. Gayle, Wright, Schragger, Orweiler, etc. have shown absolutely nothing.

Garcia looked good at UT and maybe one other game but he hasn't pitched in a month.
04-15-2017 09:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.