Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scheduling idea
Bookmark and Share
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Scheduling idea
Heres a scheduling idea i havent heard;

How about Usm lobby cusa (or other member schools, rather ) to cut the cusa games from 8 to 6 per year? Cusa would hate that, but if its members vote to do it, then so it is. Then Usm could fill the remaining 6 games with any combination of

Cincinnati
East Carolina
South Florida
UCF
Houston
Memphis
SMU
Florida St.
Louisville
N.C. State
Georgia Tech
Miami (FL)
N. Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Nebraska
Baylor
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Marshall
Middle Tenn. St.
Louisiana Tech
UAB
Arkansas St.
La Lafayette
LA Monroe
South Alabama
Troy
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
Texas A&M
Jackson State
Alcorn State

Gotta be better than what we currently have, id imagine. Should help on travel costs and can add more regional / historical teams to the schedule that would help with ticket sales / revenue. Could also add money games (2-3 a year).
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2017 06:27 AM by Reggie Favre.)
04-14-2017 06:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

RE: Scheduling idea
(04-14-2017 06:24 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  Heres a scheduling idea i havent heard;

How about Usm lobby cusa (or other member schools, rather ) to cut the cusa games from 8 to 6 per year? Cusa would hate that, but if its members vote to do it, then so it is. Then Usm could fill the remaining 6 games with any combination of

Cincinnati
East Carolina
South Florida
UCF
Houston
Memphis
SMU
Florida St.
Louisville
N.C. State
Georgia Tech
Miami (FL)
N. Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Nebraska
Baylor
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Marshall
Middle Tenn. St.
Louisiana Tech
UAB
Arkansas St.
La Lafayette
LA Monroe
South Alabama
Troy
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
Texas A&M
Jackson State
Alcorn State

Gotta be better than what we currently have, id imagine. Should help on travel costs and can add more regional / historical teams to the schedule that would help with ticket sales / revenue. Could also add money games (2-3 a year).

Ever stop to think that we are already trying to schedule games with these teams?
04-14-2017 07:16 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(04-14-2017 07:16 AM)RockTheRock Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 06:24 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  Heres a scheduling idea i havent heard;

Cincinnati
East Carolina
South Florida
UCF
Houston
Memphis
SMU
Florida St.
Louisville
N.C. State
Georgia Tech
Miami (FL)
N. Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Nebraska
Baylor
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Marshall
Middle Tenn. St.
Louisiana Tech
UAB
Arkansas St.
La Lafayette
LA Monroe
South Alabama
Troy
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
Texas A&M
Jackson State
Alcorn State

Ever stop to think that we are already trying to schedule games with these teams?

and there is zero possibility of cusa doing this.....

I'm not abreast of ncaa rules relative to this, but my guess would be 'not an option'....and I'm unwilling to sift through the regs....
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2017 07:29 AM by stinkfist.)
04-14-2017 07:27 AM
RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

(04-14-2017 07:27 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  and there is zero possibility of cusa doing this.....

I'm not abreast of ncaa rules relative to this, but my guess would be 'not an option'....and I'm unwilling to sift through the regs....

Come on, man. Fire up a fat one and dig up the info for the board...
04-14-2017 08:21 AM
Ace Barker Offline
Banned

I Root For: BSC and USM
Tear down the east stands, drop to 1-AA and resurrect the Gulf States Conference. Play SWAC, MEAC, Southland and Southern Conference as OOC opponents. Play some 1-A school for a pay day.

Ace...
04-14-2017 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(04-14-2017 07:16 AM)RockTheRock Wrote:  

Cincinnati
East Carolina
South Florida
UCF
Houston
Memphis
SMU
Florida St.
Louisville
N.C. State
Georgia Tech
Miami (FL)
N. Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Nebraska
Baylor
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Marshall
Middle Tenn. St.
Louisiana Tech
UAB
Arkansas St.
La Lafayette
LA Monroe
South Alabama
Troy
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
Texas A&M
Jackson State
Alcorn State

Ever stop to think that we ARE scheduling these type teams but the coaches (USM's and other schools too) want a couple soft swac / DII teams as well to warm up with and beef up their record? Remember Georgia playing southern from the swac? Really think LSU just HAD to play Mcneese St, because they couldn't find anyone else that would play them? The list goes on and on.

So that leaves us 4 more games from the above list, if we continued to play a couple cupcakes. That's FOUR games to find. If you think that's so impossible to do that it's not worth a try or discussion, then I feel sorry for you and would request you stop sharing your thoughts on ANY matter.

Get your brain out of neutral.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2017 09:43 AM by Reggie Favre.)
04-14-2017 09:26 AM
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(04-14-2017 08:21 AM)RockTheRock Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 07:27 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  and there is zero possibility of cusa doing this.....

Before i started the thread, i did a preliminary search about this. In short, i found enough info to feel comfortable that it was "legal " to do what i described, so i posted it. But i dont know for a fact.
04-14-2017 09:30 AM
stinkfist Offline

(04-14-2017 09:30 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  

Before i started the thread, i did a preliminary search about this. In short, i found enough info to feel comfortable that it was "legal " to do what i described, so i posted it. But i dont know for a fact.

again, if there is no chance of the hierarchy approving, then why choose that as an option....

the regs are irrelevant at that point....
04-14-2017 10:21 AM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(04-14-2017 10:21 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

again, if there is no chance of the hierarchy approving, then why choose that as an option....

who are you saying is the hierarchy?

As far as requirements for conference scheduling for 12 (or more) team leagues...there is this;

"Under current rules, FBS conferences must have at least 12 members, and championship games must be between the winners of two divisions within the conference. Each division must play a round-robin schedule during the regular season in order to hold a championship game."

Reading this by itself, the NCAA requirement would be to have 5 conference games (required to play round robin in each 6-team division = 5 conference games).

So as my first post said, looks like its up to the conference members on their conference scheduling (minus the above requirement). Therefore, if CUSA schools voted it down to 6 games, instead of 8, then that's fine.

If this is the case, which it appears to be, my question to everyone is;

Would you prefer this change in CUSA scheduling or not? A simple yes or no would do.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2017 10:48 AM by Reggie Favre.)
04-14-2017 10:28 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(04-14-2017 10:21 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  if there is no chance of the hierarchy approving, then why choose that as an option....

Because it allows him to keep prattling on about the fantasy hypotheticals in his head.

I will say this: a 6-team conference schedule is way more likely to happen than us ever going Independent again. It's honestly not that far from the 16-team/no crossover idea that regularly gets brought up on this family of boards (which is also dumb, but that's neither here nor there).
04-14-2017 11:14 AM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(04-14-2017 11:14 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 10:21 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  if there is no chance of the hierarchy approving, then why choose that as an option....

Because it allows him to keep prattling on about the fantasy hypotheticals in his head.

I will say this: a 6-team conference schedule is way more likely to happen than us ever going Independent again. It's honestly not that far from the 16-team/no crossover idea that regularly gets brought up on this family of boards (which is also dumb, but that's neither here nor there).

whats funny, is you making up a fantasy that the hierarchy has to approve it, just to avoid the discussion, bc you cannot stand an idea with out of the box thinking that the silent majority prefers.

however, if appears that you gave a glimmer of insight that you kinda sorta like the idea of a 6 game conference schedule. That gives it 2 yes votes to 0 no votes. thanks for your encouragement.
04-14-2017 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(04-14-2017 11:34 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  That gives it 2 yes votes to 0 no

3 more and you'll have the majority of season ticket holders.
04-14-2017 12:04 PM
Bleacher Eagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM
(04-14-2017 06:24 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  Mississippi

Why do all these ridiculous scheduling plans always include Ole Miss as an option? They haven't agreed to play us in over 3 decades!!! It's not like they're going to have a change of heart just because we want to go independent or play 6 OOC.

If State and OM were willing to play us, then we would play both of them every single year. Yet as it is, we've played 2 games against State in the past 25 years and 0 games against Ole Miss in the past 30.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2017 12:23 PM by Bleacher Eagle.)
04-14-2017 12:20 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(04-14-2017 12:20 PM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  

Why do all these ridiculous scheduling plans always include Ole Miss as an option? They haven't agreed to play us in over 3 decades!!! It's not like they're going to have a change of heart just because we want to go independent or play 6 OOC.

If State and OM were willing to play us, then we would play both of them every single year. Yet as it is, we've played 2 games against State in the past 25 years and 0 games against Ole Miss in the past 30.

You sound quite butthurt. There were almost 100 other teams in that list, yet you singled them out and complained about them.

Seems you missed the entire point of the thread.....or something.

Weird.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2017 12:50 PM by Reggie Favre.)
04-14-2017 12:49 PM
stinkfist Offline

(04-14-2017 10:28 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 10:21 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

who are you saying is the hierarchy?

As far as requirements for conference scheduling for 12 (or more) team leagues...there is this;

"Under current rules, FBS conferences must have at least 12 members, and championship games must be between the winners of two divisions within the conference. Each division must play a round-robin schedule during the regular season in order to hold a championship game."

Reading this by itself, the NCAA requirement would be to have 5 conference games (required to play round robin in each 6-team division = 5 conference games).

So as my first post said, looks like its up to the conference members on their conference scheduling (minus the above requirement). Therefore, if CUSA schools voted it down to 6 games, instead of 8, then that's fine.

If this is the case, which it appears to be, my question to everyone is;

Would you prefer this change in CUSA scheduling or not? A simple yes or no would do.

i already said no....but I'll say "no" again if it makes you happy....
04-14-2017 01:14 PM
stinkfist Offline

(04-14-2017 11:14 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  

no doubt....that ship sailed if it ever ported....
04-14-2017 01:17 PM
Advertisement

Ace Barker Offline
Banned

I Root For: BSC and USM
(04-14-2017 12:49 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 12:20 PM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  

You sound quite butthurt. There were almost 100 other teams in that list, yet you singled them out and complained about them.

Seems you missed the entire point of the thread.....or something.

Weird.

Please contact Rodney D. Bennett

He should be able to help with the hierarchy.

Ace...
04-14-2017 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(04-14-2017 11:34 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  whats funny, is you making up a fantasy that the hierarchy has to approve it, just to avoid the discussion, bc you cannot stand an idea with out of the box thinking that the silent majority prefers.

Uh, that's not a fantasy. We can't just unilaterally decide we're only going to play 6 conference games if the conference schedule contains 8. The conference as a group has to make that decision. Surely, you understand that. And being that you'll never get the required number of ADs to willfully give up a guaranteed 2 games, especially 1 at home, every year just as 11 more other schools are going to be working the phones hunting for 2 additional OOC games every year, it's simply not going to happen.

I have no issue with out of the box. The problem here is you're out of the realm of realism.

Quote:however, if appears that you gave a glimmer of insight that you kinda sorta like the idea of a 6 game conference schedule. That gives it 2 yes votes to 0 no votes. thanks for your encouragement.

I'm not even going to acknowledge that stupidity with an actual reply.
04-15-2017 01:20 AM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(04-15-2017 01:20 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 11:34 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  whats funny, is you making up a fantasy that the hierarchy has to approve it, just to avoid the discussion, bc you cannot stand an idea with out of the box thinking that the silent majority prefers.

Uh, that's not a fantasy. We can't just unilaterally decide we're only going to play 6 conference games if the conference schedule contains 8. The conference as a group has to make that decision. Surely, you understand that. And being that you'll never get the required number of ADs to willfully give up a guaranteed 2 games, especially 1 at home, every year just as 11 more other schools are going to be working the phones hunting for 2 additional OOC games every year, it's simply not going to happen.

I have no issue with out of the box. The problem here is you're out of the realm of realism.

Quote:however, if appears that you gave a glimmer of insight that you kinda sorta like the idea of a 6 game conference schedule. That gives it 2 yes votes to 0 no votes. thanks for your encouragement.

I'm not even going to acknowledge that stupidity with an actual reply.

Ive just lost any respect i had left of you. Anyone with any sense understands why. At this point, i may as well place you on ignore. This is kinda sad actually and im somewhat dissapointed.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 02:27 AM by Reggie Favre.)
04-15-2017 02:24 AM
GCEagle Offline
Special Teams

I like the idea, but with most every NCAA team playing at least 8 conference games and having OOC schedules pretty much filled out for the next decade, it would never happen.
04-15-2017 07:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.