Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Set the schedule
Bookmark and Share
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Just to have a little fun here....what's the OOC schedule you'd like to see your football team play one year? More mid-majors, less cupcakes, less tough games, more regional rivalries, etc.

WPS
08-01-2003 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Definitely less cupcakes for the Rebs. Playing those certain victory games is good for, well basically nothing. Playing Ark St, Murray St, MTSU, etc does nothing for our program or team....period. I would like to start out with one patsy every year just to get our timing down and get used to the flow of a game. THEN, play three other decent teams. We took a little step up in scheduling TxTech last year and this season. But I would like to continue that and expand on it.....teams like SoCal, UCLA, VaTech, Penn St, or something to that effect. And every once in a while, the occasional powerhouse like Miami or somebody. Sure, it'd probably result in a loss, but our kids would be the better for just having someone like that to measure up to.
08-01-2003 11:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

For us... I'd say the following..

Annual Games

Tulsa - If we're gonna have one cupcake, take TU. They're the closest 1-A school to UA distance-wise, and they don't have the directional name to really make it look bad. Plus, we can further recruit talent amongst the Union-Jenks area

Oklahoma State - rising program that's also close to the UA campus (3 1/2 hours away). UA and OSU used to be an annual event (UA leads series 30-15-1), and it'd be fun to play it again.

Mix it around (home and home series...not an annual basis)

Big 10 creampuff - Indiana or Northwestern - someone to beat easily, but with a BCS conference, it gets the media a better focus at your school

Solid mid-major team - Boise State was a fun team to play. I wouldn't mind having more series against them, Fresno State, Toledo, etc.

One major BCS team - Texas, Southern Cal, Michigan, what we already have for the next 6 years

What has helped us is that our stadium now holds 72,000. 10MAN, with Ole Miss going over 60,000, I think the Rebs will be able to land some better, bigger name teams.

WPS
08-01-2003 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Yeah, I remember you Hog fans took a little heat for scheduling Boise St, but it turned out to be a fairly decent game for the Hogs, as far as strength of schedule goes. They had a really good year.

And I knew you'd have to put Texas down....I know y'all just love the Horns. 03-lol

Just kidding, that is a great rivalry that should be played every year.
08-01-2003 12:07 PM
Advertisement

10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

calling_the_hogs Wrote:What has helped us is that our stadium now holds 72,000. 10MAN, with Ole Miss going over 60,000, I think the Rebs will be able to land some better, bigger name teams.

WPS
You're right about that, cth. The only prolem is our admin is basically a bunch of pansies who won't even try to bring in the big boys. They want us to play these little vocational schools every year in order for us to get our mandatory 6 or 7 wins, and go to our second home, Shreveport. :mad:

But yes, our new addition should help us land some bigger names. I only hope that happens. With Eli leaving next year, it would be wise to try and start scheduling some bigger teams, because I think you will see a big drop-off in ticket sales after Eli's departure. Especially with all this Colonel crap going on, I've heard a TON of Rebel fans say that after this, Eli's last season, that they are done buying season tickets. Sad but true. I can't see myself ever ceasing to buy Rebel tickets as long as I live, but with all that has gone on with our AD this offseason, I have to admit I have even contemplated it.
08-01-2003 12:13 PM
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Yeah...Pete Boone's gotta get some big names I think. I'm actually proud of Broyles and Nutt for taking on the big boys. We might take some lumps with Texas and Southern Cal and the others...but the $$$, TV attention, and fans in the stands are going to be VERY beneficial with sales and come recruiting time.

I think for Ole Miss..you should keep the Memphis rivalry...for the same reason Arkansas should stick to playing Tulsa. Then if I were Pete Boone, I'd play Baylor...get the cupcake win over the BCS team, an ACC team like Clemson, Virginia, or NC State..or Florida State for the TV coverage, and one solid mid-major like Marshall..the Motor City Bowl with OM-Marshall was a classic.

WPS
08-01-2003 12:27 PM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

I agree totally.
08-01-2003 01:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.