Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Illinois St and Drake move to Summit League for men's tennis
NoDak Offline
All American

I Root For: UND
Illinois St and Drake move to Summit League for men's tennis
Today, Illinois St and Drake announced they moved to the Summit League for that sport for next year. With Wichita St leaving as that sport will be in the AAC. S Illinois and Stony Brook haven't announced an affiliation yet.

I bring this up as it may have provide a clue in that any new MVC school(s) won't have men's tennis.

Murray St doesn't have men's tennis. NDSU doesn't have it. Milwaukee doesn't have it.

Valpo does have it. Belmont does have it. UIC has it. Omaha has it. NKU has it. SDSU has it. UMKC has it.

Looks like the MVC will only add one at most, otherwise why switch leagues for a single sport?
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 12:24 AM by NoDak.)
04-12-2017 12:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Shox Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wichita State
RE: Illinois St and Drake move to Summit League for men's tennis
(04-12-2017 12:08 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Today, Illinois St and Drake announced they moved to the Summit League for that sport for next year. With Wichita St leaving as that sport will be in the AAC. S Illinois and Stony Brook haven't announced an affiliation yet.

I bring this up as it may have provide a clue in that any new MVC school(s) won't have men's tennis.

Murray St doesn't have men's tennis. NDSU doesn't have it. Milwaukee doesn't have it.

Valpo does have it. Belmont does have it. UIC has it. Omaha has it. NKU has it. SDSU has it.

Looks like the MVC will only add one at most, otherwise why switch leagues for a single sport?

Well, since it is unlikely that NDSU goes without SDSU that cancels them out...plus, Drake and ISUr wouldn't be moving that sport to the Summit if they thought the conference was unstable. Looks like Murray State it is. Good work NoDak. Now...what about their football to the MVFC? Maybe, the Valley saw this coming and struck a deal with the Dakota schools that they would admit UND if they would later endorse Murray State.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 12:28 AM by Shox.)
04-12-2017 12:26 AM
Shox Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wichita State
(04-12-2017 12:08 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Today, Illinois St and Drake announced they moved to the Summit League for that sport for next year. With Wichita St leaving as that sport will be in the AAC. S Illinois and Stony Brook haven't announced an affiliation yet.

Valpo does have it. Belmont does have it. UIC has it. Omaha has it. NKU has it. SDSU has it.

Well, since it is unlikely that NDSU goes without SDSU that cancels them out...plus, Drake and ISUr wouldn't be moving that sport to the Summit of they thought the conference was unstable. Looks like Murray State it is. Good work NoDak. Now...what about their football to the MVFC? Maybe, the Valley saw this coming and struck a deal with Dakota schools that they would admit UND if they would later endorse Murray State.
04-12-2017 12:29 AM
NoDak Offline
All American

(04-12-2017 12:26 AM)Shox Wrote:  

Well, since it is unlikely that NDSU goes without SDSU that cancels them out...plus, Drake and ISUr wouldn't be moving that sport to the Summit if they thought the conference was unstable. Looks like Murray State it is. Good work NoDak. Now...what about their football to the MVFC? Maybe, the Valley saw this coming and struck a deal with the Dakota schools that they would admit UND if they would later endorse Murray State.

Since the MVC doesn't have travel partners in MBB, SDSU is not needed for NDSU. Both SD U's are in tiny towns where a weekday game is relatively poorly attended because few can travel any distance. Look up their attendances on weekend vs weeknight.

Furthermore, the SD schools need state approval from their Regents, and with TSL tourney in SF, it doesn't add up why they would even attempt it. Perhaps one school could play weekday games in Sioux Falls, but why spend on arenas like they have? The SD schools need to maximize home weekend series as much as possible and the MVC doesn't do that.

I agree that Murray St is the likely 10th school and if that isn't approved by Murray admin, NDSU is the backup. Also agree that the MVFC was now open to UND, as Murray St wanted an assurance of only one fb trip a year to the Dakotas. With an informal divisional setups of six each, that is possible.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 12:47 AM by NoDak.)
04-12-2017 12:39 AM

NoDak Offline
All American

The Summit will have seven full member teams without Drake and lll St. UND has men's tennis but hasn't given scholarships for it as yet. NDSU, USD, and IPFW don't have it.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 12:51 AM by NoDak.)
04-12-2017 12:43 AM
ShockerDR Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita, KState
Southern Illinois is dropping tennis at the end of the year. This move would have happened regardless of the Wichita conference move. Nothing much to see here.
04-12-2017 12:57 AM
NoDak Offline
All American

(04-12-2017 12:57 AM)ShockerDR Wrote:  Southern Illinois is dropping tennis at the end of the year. This move would have happened regardless of the Wichita conference move. Nothing much to see here.

Well the MVC isn't going to 12 then.
04-12-2017 01:00 AM

Stugray2 Online
2nd String

I Root For: tOSU SJSU
The meaning is obvious. The MVC is not adding anyone. They will have 9 schools in the upcoming year 2017-18.

The American was working on Wichita State as far back as November. Mind you, this can be done in a shorter time frame if there is a firm consensus among the MVC schools as to direction and who to add. But even then we are still talking a couple months, which pushes us into June, and the 2017-18 season starts July 1st. But everyone is scheduling now, pr started earlier, including the MVC. There simply is not enough time to add anyone. But more likely a consensus has yet to be formed. The meeting was intended to get a consensus, but the statement coming out sounded like they had not reached one.

Drake and Illinois State understood this and understood Men's Tennis would not have sufficient teams, and so signed affiliate memberships with the Summit. Typically such contracts are 2 or 4 years in length. This seems to also suggest that no Summit schools are in the MVC discussions about membership, as Drake and Illinois State felt secure in placing their tennis in that conference.

This basically signals the MVC will probably evaluate it's options, and open discussions with target schools to determine if there is a fit or not. We are looking at a 6-9 month process. And this may mean adding 0, 1, 2, or 3 schools. This will be for 2018-19 season.
04-12-2017 03:48 AM
Stugray2 Online
2nd String

I Root For: tOSU SJSU
Stony Brook already announced they are dropping Tennis.

Men's Tennis was doomed before Wichita State left. Another sport and incoming school would have to find a home for.

There are 6 Women's teams left: Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Illinois State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa
04-12-2017 04:11 AM
Chuck_A Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UIC/Horizon
If the Valley is the way it is in most of their sports (not providing a full alottment), then why would any HL team join? Why would they separate their men's swimming team and put it in the MAC or try to find a home for their tennis team? Is it really worth it? Granted, basketball pays the bills at this level without football, but other than that the Horizon League is a better all-around conference than The MVC. And it will get better!
04-12-2017 04:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.