Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UMD President says UNC should get the Death Penalty
orangefan Online
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
UMD President says UNC should get the Death Penalty
Maryland president Wallace Loh says he would expect North Carolina to get the "death penalty" over the academic allegations that have hung over the athletic program since 2010.

"For the things that happened in North Carolina, it's abysmal. I would think that this would lead to the implementation of the death penalty by the NCAA. But I'm not in charge of that."

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story...-athletics

Them's fightin' words!
04-11-2017 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: UMD President says UNC should get the Death Penalty
There's a reason that university presidents (as opposed to sportswriters or fans on internet message boards) don't usually say things like this out loud: When you're a university president and you say this, you've just handed out an invitation for people to investigate your own athletic department.
04-11-2017 12:08 PM
bluesox Offline
All American

I Root For:
guess maryland won't be coming back to the ACCRimshot
04-11-2017 12:22 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I have my doubts whether the NCAA rule book stretches far enough to cover what UNC did, but I agree with the sentiment.
04-11-2017 12:31 PM

PIRATE TERP Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU / MARYLAND
(04-11-2017 12:22 PM)bluesox Wrote:  guess maryland won't be coming back to the ACCRimshot

don't care about the ACC ... don't care about unc ... aint lookin back ... 02-13-banana 04-rock 03-lmfao 04-cheers COGS
04-11-2017 12:32 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
If there was going to be another DP, the UNC situation is actually one where the NCAA would be in the right to use it: no crimes committed, just an attempt to bypass NCAA academic eligibility rules.
04-11-2017 12:46 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
(04-11-2017 12:32 PM)PIRATE TERP Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 12:22 PM)bluesox Wrote:  guess maryland won't be coming back to the ACCRimshot

don't care about the ACC ... don't care about unc ... aint lookin back ... 02-13-banana 04-rock 03-lmfao 04-cheers COGS

I agree that the Terps probably aren't coming back and certainly not anytime soon. Here's the thing though. As other stated above, you don't ridicule others just because things are going well now. Remember Len Bias...that fiasco took down the entire athletic department. Not just basketball. I can see where Wallace Loh is coming from but YOU DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD. Add in the fact that no school is likely to even get the death penalty now...I just don't see it as a good look for Maryland or Wallace Loh.
04-11-2017 12:47 PM

DavidSt Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
I am sad that the NCAA can't take matters into their own hands on image wise. Several schools have caused the NCAA black eyes in recent years and never got the death penalties.

USC
Ohio State
Florida State
Miami Florida
Baylor
Penn. State
North Carolina
Oklahoma's men's basketball in violations a few times while they were under suspension.
Missouri
Tennessee
Kansas football
BYU

I could go on and on. SMU's death penalty was under a lot less violation.

Listen, rape and all that is very serious issues which causes the whole NCAA a black eye with image issues. What UNC did was cheating in academics which is also a no-no. Turning a blind eye to these things makes it look like saying to young kids who happened to be players to rape, murder and cheat your way through college. Someone needs to send a real hard lessons to these coaches, universities and the kids that if you do something like this? Your whole team will get the punishment for what your actions have done.
04-11-2017 12:53 PM
orangefan Online
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
If the NCAA tried to impose the death penalty on any major program, that could be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" that causes the P5 conferences to walk away from the NCAA. These universities have way too much invested to live with the risk of such a penalty being imposed on them.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2017 12:55 PM by orangefan.)
04-11-2017 12:55 PM
jgkojak Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kansas
If Penn State didn't get it (covering up a child predator using university facilities to molest children) no one will.

Reminds me of the SNL Update piece with Satan (Sudekis) commenting on Penn State saying,"I may be the Prince of Darkness, but this is just awful"
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2017 01:08 PM by jgkojak.)
04-11-2017 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.