Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Latest from Thamel: AAC will vote on Wichita "later this week"
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/20...e-aac-vote
Quote:The American Athletic Conference has scheduled a Board of Directors call later this week to vote on Wichita State’s admission to the league, according to sources. The sources said the “general expectation” is that the league will admit Wichita State and that the Shockers will play in the AAC during the 2017–18 season.

The AAC presidents have the final vote on Wichita State, and sources said there’s expected to be finality on their admission by the weekend.
Quote:"We feel like Wichita State's departure is imminent," a Missouri Valley source said. "And we're ready to move on."

As others have already pointed out, there's a huge incentive to get Wichita in for next season: WSU will have a preseason top 10 team, and if they make a deep tournament run, then the AAC will get millions in March Madness credits (over a 6-year period) just for Wichita's 2018 tournament run.
04-05-2017 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Latest from Thamel: AAC will vote on Wichita "later this week"
(04-05-2017 02:01 PM)Wedge Wrote:  https://www.si.com/college-basketball/20...e-aac-vote
Quote:The American Athletic Conference has scheduled a Board of Directors call later this week to vote on Wichita State’s admission to the league, according to sources. The sources said the “general expectation” is that the league will admit Wichita State and that the Shockers will play in the AAC during the 2017–18 season.

The AAC presidents have the final vote on Wichita State, and sources said there’s expected to be finality on their admission by the weekend.
Quote:"We feel like Wichita State's departure is imminent," a Missouri Valley source said. "And we're ready to move on."

As others have already pointed out, there's a huge incentive to get Wichita in for next season: WSU will have a preseason top 10 team, and if they make a deep tournament run, then the AAC will get millions in March Madness credits (over a 6-year period) just for Wichita's 2018 tournament run.

lol....so, next Tuesday?
04-05-2017 02:06 PM
Stugray2 Online
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Tuesday seems right. WSU still need KBOR approval, and that meeting will be called after the invite is approved. So if that invite is Friday, then the KBOR teleconference would likely be Tuesday given the notice requirements (probably AM), so a early PM news conference on Tuesday makes sense.
04-05-2017 02:29 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
I'd be surprised if the MVC let's WSU take the credits with them or at least be surprised if their lawyers left that open after they just lost Creighton.
04-05-2017 03:29 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-05-2017 02:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 02:01 PM)Wedge Wrote:  https://www.si.com/college-basketball/20...e-aac-vote

lol....so, next Tuesday?

Whooooooooooooooooo

[Image: ric-flair-4-horsemen-woooooo.gif?w=650]
04-05-2017 03:34 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-05-2017 03:29 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  I'd be surprised if the MVC let's WSU take the credits with them or at least be surprised if their lawyers left that open after they just lost Creighton.

Schools don't have credits.
Credits are earned by conferences. The conference chooses how to distribute the units earned.

The only way a departing school can get units is if the conference loses too many members to fall below a threshold (think five) then units go to the schools earning the unit.
04-05-2017 03:59 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Online
Heisman

Andy Katz saays the AAC will vote on Friday
https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/status/...9922689024

I think my timeline is right, expect a KBOR special meeting Tuesday AM, Wichita State athletics news conference that afternoon.
04-05-2017 04:33 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(04-05-2017 04:33 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Andy Katz saays the AAC will vote on Friday
https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/status/...9922689024

I think my timeline is right, expect a KBOR special meeting Tuesday AM, Wichita State athletics news conference that afternoon.

Invites are only handed out if they are already in agreement. So I bet any move has already been okayed by those who need to okay such a move. You don't this far down the rabbit hole only to have a board vote to not accept an invite.
04-05-2017 04:56 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-05-2017 03:29 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  I'd be surprised if the MVC let's WSU take the credits with them or at least be surprised if their lawyers left that open after they just lost Creighton.

He is saying they have a good chance of earning credits in 2018, which would go to the AAC if they join for next season.
04-05-2017 05:35 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
AAC basketball has been a disappointment. Probably two years ago they wouldn't think they would need boosting. But now it makes some sense.
04-05-2017 05:36 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(04-05-2017 05:36 PM)bullet Wrote:  AAC basketball has been a disappointment. Probably two years ago they wouldn't think they would need boosting. But now it makes some sense.

This has been in the works 2+ years
04-05-2017 05:38 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-05-2017 05:38 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 05:36 PM)bullet Wrote:  AAC basketball has been a disappointment. Probably two years ago they wouldn't think they would need boosting. But now it makes some sense.

This has been in the works 2+ years
Taking a school you want that wants to come to your conference doesn't take 2+ years ... "discussions" over 2+ years advancing to a decision to get serious earlier this year implies that some school or schools that were on the fence about it made up their mind.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 06:03 PM by BruceMcF.)
04-05-2017 05:52 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Good move, for both WSU and the AAC. Makes the AAC a de-facto 12 full member conference, with Navy football filling in for WSU.

Hmmm ... which other "mid-major" G5 conf has 12 football members, but only 11 full members, and could potentially get a big basketball boost from inviting a non-football school, within its footprint, to fill in that 12th slot???
04-05-2017 05:56 PM
Stugray2 Online
Heisman

Big 12 drama is why it didn't happen earlier.

It's obvious now that the American is where the schools in the American will be at least until the middle of next decade. So they are looking to bolster the league as is, rather than bolt immediately.

Given that, why have they not fired Aresco and gotten a commissioner who is in touch with the league as constituted, rather than one with a Providence mafia living in NYC with visions of grandeur? Get somebody that will set up shop in Dallas (close to half the league) even Atlanta (the geographic center of the league in Football) or even Orlando. A big part of the problem is that cultural disconnect between NYC and the bulk of the membership far to the South and West of that.
04-05-2017 06:00 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-05-2017 06:00 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Big 12 drama is why it didn't happen earlier.

It's obvious now that the American is where the schools in the American will be at least until the middle of next decade. So they are looking to bolster the league as is, rather than bolt immediately.

Given that, why have they not fired Aresco and gotten a commissioner who is in touch with the league as constituted, rather than one with a Providence mafia living in NYC with visions of grandeur? Get somebody that will set up shop in Dallas (close to half the league) even Atlanta (the geographic center of the league in Football) or even Orlando. A big part of the problem is that cultural disconnect between NYC and the bulk of the membership far to the South and West of that.

Atlanta would make a lot of sense.
04-05-2017 06:06 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-05-2017 06:00 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Big 12 drama is why it didn't happen earlier.

The plan is to move to Dallas when the current lease in Providence expires. If by Providence Mafia, you mean BE---I doubt Aresco is on their "A" list.

Dallas is good move. A member schools is there (SMU). Two G5 bowls are in Dallas and each has a P5 opponent. The Big12 and CUSA already have headquarters in Dallas---so the AAC would be the third FBS HQ in the city. Plus its an airline hub with top tier facilties that often host major NCAA events. Its a good place for the AAC to be be headquartered.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 06:18 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-05-2017 06:09 PM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
While I think WSU will run rapid thru the AAC. It will be interesting to see how they handle having a more rigorous schedule. The main concern with the AAC as for other AAC basketball teams, can they get top teams to play them, especially at home. Unless the bottom of the league improves, they could be hurt in NCAA seeding due to poor rip or lack of quality opponents. Still hard to imagine they could get a worse seating than this year.
04-05-2017 06:20 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(04-05-2017 06:20 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  While I think WSU will run rapid thru the AAC. It will be interesting to see how they handle having a more rigorous schedule. The main concern with the AAC as for other AAC basketball teams, can they get top teams to play them, especially at home. Unless the bottom of the league improves, they could be hurt in NCAA seeding due to poor rip or lack of quality opponents. Still hard to imagine they could get a worse seating than this year.

part of it though is look at this years standings for the AAC. They had 3 teams with a RPI of worse than 139. Top teams could easily see those teams only once each, meaning they would have 3 games vs teams in conference sub 140. Compare that for Wichita this season where they had only 2 conference games better than 140. A HUGE difference there.

The AAC gets good teams to play. Not necessarily at home- but then again- a lot of top teams just do not play road games any more OOC. Everything is neutral site.
04-05-2017 06:24 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-05-2017 06:20 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  While I think WSU will run rapid thru the AAC. It will be interesting to see how they handle having a more rigorous schedule. The main concern with the AAC as for other AAC basketball teams, can they get top teams to play them, especially at home. Unless the bottom of the league improves, they could be hurt in NCAA seeding due to poor rip or lack of quality opponents. Still hard to imagine they could get a worse seating than this year.

C'mon. There are 3 or 4 "traditonally bad" opponents in the AAC. How many were there in the MVC?

I suspect most years Wichita, UConn, Memphis, Temple, SMU, and Cincy will be competing for an NCAA bid. That's half the league. Houston and Tulsa should be close (or at least pretty decent) most years. So, any improvement in ECU, UCF, Tulane, and USF will help the league take another big step up in quality. Those teams are spending money on thier programs. UCF seems to be showing improvement already--so the future of the basketball league looks pretty solid to me.
04-05-2017 06:38 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
This move gets the AAC within striking distance of ACC basketball.

We talk about Wichita here and the extra bids they'll generate but its going to help recruiting across the conference.

The jury is still out on the ECU's, Tulane's and UCF's on how good they can be in basketball because they've only spent 3 years in a high resource basketball conference.

Another 5 years or so they could have their act together, IMO.
04-05-2017 07:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.