Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question about AAC Conf Tourney
Shockem Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WSU
Since we're a bunch of newbies to the conference, maybe some vets can fill us in on your conference tournament and what to expect. The Shockers travel strong and we've been playing in the hell hole town of St. Louis forever. The town is ok, but we're getting sick of it. Speaking for myself, and probably a lot of others, we're looking forward to a change of scenery. Are the tournament games heavily attended? What schools bring the most fans? In Orlando, do most of the fans stay near the arena or are the team hotels in another part of town?

I was wondering about Storrs as well, do most people stay in Hartford and drive in for the games or can Storrs accommodate with their hotels?
04-03-2017 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
(04-03-2017 09:07 PM)Shockem Wrote:  Since we're a bunch of newbies to the conference, maybe some vets can fill us in on your conference tournament and what to expect. The Shockers travel strong and we've been playing in the hell hole town of St. Louis forever. The town is ok, but we're getting sick of it. Speaking for myself, and probably a lot of others, we're looking forward to a change of scenery. Are the tournament games heavily attended? What schools bring the most fans? In Orlando, do most of the fans stay near the arena or are the team hotels in another part of town?

I was wondering about Storrs as well, do most people stay in Hartford and drive in for the games or can Storrs accommodate with their hotels?

No our tournament sucks...
04-03-2017 09:16 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
He asked for basketball fan advice - you don't count
04-03-2017 09:21 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: Question about AAC Conf Tourney
tournament are decently attended, our 2 biggest fan-bases are down right now, with bad future prospects (uconn and memphis), so less than average right now

but a good uconn and memphis and it could be sold out...

uconn and memphis bring the most, cincy not to far behind..
80% of the AAC locations are directly in destination cities (dallas, cincinatti, houston nola, memphis, tampa, orlando etc..)so i dont think hotel should be that big of a deal and depends on what you want to do

Storrs is the exemption and i think most just stay around the arena
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 09:42 PM by pesik.)
04-03-2017 09:26 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
They are currently rethinking the conf tourney and whether to pick a couple of cities to rotate it to. What they are concerned with is geography. If its too far from the midpoint of the conference, it lessens attendance. Several solutions have been suggested including Tulsa and the BOK which just hosted the NCAA 1st/2nd Rounds.

But the good part is that most of the schools are located in larger cities with large city owned-operated venues. Now, that will hopefully include Wichita (Intrust Bank Arena). Also, I think one of the problems might be that some of our cities with pro teams have the venue, but also have a pro team that can create a scheduling conflict. Neither Tulsa nor Wichita have a pro team and thus would have no conflict.
04-03-2017 09:43 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I'm curious about the report that Tulsa may be in play now.

I definitely think Tulsa would be heavily attended.

I also like Attacks suggestion of New Orleans.

It will be interesting to see how they book future tournaments with the West becoming more stout
04-03-2017 09:47 PM
Advertisement

Wushock37 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita State
Just have it here in Louisville so I don't have to travel...plus, It's kind of in the middle of everyone!!
I kid, I kid...would be nice though!!
04-03-2017 10:18 PM
Shockem Offline
Bench Warmer

Yeah, if they really wanted to do a midpoint, you would think Memphis or Cincy would be the best locations. As it is they picked the furthest Northeast and almost furthest southeast locales. Storrs makes no sense whatsoever unless they're just trying to appease UConn.
04-03-2017 10:22 PM
Wushock37 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita State
(04-03-2017 10:22 PM)Shockem Wrote:  Yeah, if they really wanted to do a midpoint, you would think Memphis or Cincy would be the best locations. As it is they picked the furthest Northeast and almost furthest southeast locales. Storrs makes no sense whatsoever unless they're just trying to appease UConn.

The YUM! Center here in Louisville would work out nice...no pro team, and UL would be playing in the ACC tourney in Brooklyn. It will never happen, but would be a nice place to have it....
04-03-2017 10:34 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(04-03-2017 10:34 PM)Wushock37 Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 10:22 PM)Shockem Wrote:  Yeah, if they really wanted to do a midpoint, you would think Memphis or Cincy would be the best locations. As it is they picked the furthest Northeast and almost furthest southeast locales. Storrs makes no sense whatsoever unless they're just trying to appease UConn.

The YUM! Center here in Louisville would work out nice...no pro team, and UL would be playing in the ACC tourney in Brooklyn. It will never happen, but would be a nice place to have it....

SMU fans do not have a good memory of the Bucket of Chicken Center
04-03-2017 10:55 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
My vote would be for Memphis.
04-03-2017 11:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(04-03-2017 11:05 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  My vote would be for Memphis.

I was at the first conference tourney in Memphis in 2014. Aside from the round where Memphis played and was bounced by UConn, and the championship game between Louisville and UConn which looked about like 10,000, the other games didn't draw at all. It would be interesting to know the attendance totals for each of the four tourneys.

Although low, I would expect that the Memphis tourney drew as well as the others. I'm surprised that the city wasn't included in the recent reports of possible future sites. It's mostly driveable from Wichita, Tulsa, New Orleans, Dallas, and Cincy.

There's never been any conflict with the Grizzlies schedule. They accommodated the Cusa tournament for years.
04-03-2017 11:55 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(04-03-2017 09:07 PM)Shockem Wrote:  Since we're a bunch of newbies to the conference, maybe some vets can fill us in on your conference tournament and what to expect. The Shockers travel strong and we've been playing in the hell hole town of St. Louis forever. The town is ok, but we're getting sick of it. Speaking for myself, and probably a lot of others, we're looking forward to a change of scenery. Are the tournament games heavily attended? What schools bring the most fans? In Orlando, do most of the fans stay near the arena or are the team hotels in another part of town?

Ahhh, basketball games in St Louis........

Old fans of WSU, Tulsa, Cincy, along with the Tigers can remember a couple of arenas that hosted games there other than St Louis U's arena, which I suppose must be pretty new.

Kiel, The Arena, St Louis Arena, Checkerdome and on and on. Perhaps 2 arenas with multiple names.

I think Kiel was known as a big draw for wrestling along with taping some Roller Derby matches with Joni Weston, Charlie O'Connell and Ronnie Robinson, the fastest man on skates.

I think that there were only 2 until the university built a real on-campus arena; but new names and new facades to old arenas kept popping up. :)

Following basketball being played in St Louis has some interesting memories for old MVC/metro fans.
04-04-2017 06:05 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(04-04-2017 06:05 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

Ahhh, basketball games in St Louis........

Old fans of WSU, Tulsa, Cincy, along with the Tigers can remember a couple of arenas that hosted games there other than St Louis U's arena, which I suppose must be pretty new.

Kiel, The Arena, St Louis Arena, Checkerdome and on and on. Perhaps 2 arenas with multiple names.

I think Kiel was known as a big draw for wrestling along with taping some Roller Derby matches with Joni Weston, Charlie O'Connell and Ronnie Robinson, the fastest man on skates.

I think that there were only 2 until the university built a real on-campus arena; but new names and new facades to old arenas kept popping up. :)

Following basketball being played in St Louis has some interesting memories for old MVC/metro fans.

And of course the men's NCAA basketball championship game at St. Louis Arena in 1973 between Memphis and UCLA.
04-04-2017 06:46 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
I'll be perfectly happy to never have to go to STL ever again.
04-04-2017 07:21 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I have fond memorirs of the St Louis Arena/Checkerdome.
04-04-2017 07:50 PM
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
I would be in favor of rotating the tournament annually between New Orleans and Memphis. This would give Western and Eastern teams a chance to have the tournament reasonably nearby 1 in every 2 years. At a minimum UConn should never be allowed to host.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 07:42 AM by WhoseHouse?.)
04-05-2017 06:24 AM
Shockem Offline
Bench Warmer

I'd be for New Orleans. Considering Tulane would be knocked out int he first round, it's really a neutral site for everyone.
04-05-2017 06:45 AM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
(04-05-2017 06:24 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  I would be in favor of rotating the tournament annually between New Orleans and Memphis. This would give Western and Eastern teams a chance to have the reasonably nearby 1 in every 2 years. At a minimum UConn should never be allowed to host.

lol so true. It should be in Memphis.
04-05-2017 06:54 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
I would like a 4 year rotation of NOLA, Orlando, Memphis, Cincinnati. large markets, NBA quality arenas (and I'm giving the renovated Shoemaker credit) and geography are in our favor here. we should take advantage.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 07:28 AM by tigerjeb.)
04-05-2017 07:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.