Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Finally found a listing for the top national Juco prospects
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Finally found a listing for the top national Juco prospects
Camron Reedus is #60 on the list. Of course, it means nothing until we see what he can do on the DI level. Still add him to a healthy Watkins, a 3 star prospect who signed with Florida State and Oliver, a 3 star prospect who signed with Mississippi State, we have a pretty solid foundation. Andre was as talented a freshman as we've had in awhile, but he was still raw. DeAndre will get better and will be a very good Sun Belt player. Certainly not predicting any championships and, probably not even a top 4 finish, like I did before this season, but I think we'll be okay.
04-02-2017 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Finally found a listing for the top national Juco prospects
There is some talent on the roster. Our problem this year is going to be depth, it looks like.
04-03-2017 06:16 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Our starting lineup might be pretty fair next year. Watkins, Burns, Jones, Black: fill in the gap with a newcomer. Like you said, perhaps not championship caliber, but we might be competitive. Of course, we haven't seen Watkins, and Jones is going to have to mature a lot, and Black is going to have to continue to improve. A lot of if's.
04-03-2017 08:18 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(04-02-2017 09:49 PM)mjs Wrote:  Camron Reedus is #60 on the list. Of course, it means nothing until we see what he can do on the DI level. Still add him to a healthy Watkins, a 3 star prospect who signed with Florida State and Oliver, a 3 star prospect who signed with Mississippi State, we have a pretty solid foundation. Andre was as talented a freshman as we've had in awhile, but he was still raw. DeAndre will get better and will be a very good Sun Belt player. Certainly not predicting any championships and, probably not even a top 4 finish, like I did before this season, but I think we'll be okay.

MJS- could you post a link to the list? Thanks!
04-03-2017 08:32 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2017 08:32 AM)PTJR Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 09:49 PM)mjs Wrote:  Camron Reedus is #60 on the list. Of course, it means nothing until we see what he can do on the DI level. Still add him to a healthy Watkins, a 3 star prospect who signed with Florida State and Oliver, a 3 star prospect who signed with Mississippi State, we have a pretty solid foundation. Andre was as talented a freshman as we've had in awhile, but he was still raw. DeAndre will get better and will be a very good Sun Belt player. Certainly not predicting any championships and, probably not even a top 4 finish, like I did before this season, but I think we'll be okay.

MJS- could you post a link to the list? Thanks!

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100
04-03-2017 08:58 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2017 06:16 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  There is some talent on the roster. Our problem this year is going to be depth, it looks like.

We're bringing in several freshman. Will they be ready to play? Will they all be eligible? Who knows? Will be fun to watch this young team develop.
04-03-2017 09:00 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

There are some pretty good programs with players ranked below Reedus.
04-03-2017 09:40 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans

What's okay to you, just competing, just showing up, winning ten or fifteen and winning the Western Division, like Shields did a few times, and which actually amounted to finishing about 4th or 5th in the whole league? You're not even thinking we might finish as high as fourth. Second year, and the coach can't even finish 4th, but you're very happy with the hometown boy. Beard took over a below .500 team, and won 30 his first year. How long is it gonna take your man Wes to finish above .500? Of course our AD gave him a four year contract and a nice raise for finishing below par. It's a hellava deal if you can get one like it, you can lose and get a nice raise.
04-03-2017 02:08 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2017 02:08 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

What's okay to you, just competing, just showing up, winning ten or fifteen and winning the Western Division, like Shields did a few times, and which actually amounted to finishing about 4th or 5th in the whole league? You're not even thinking we might finish as high as fourth. Second year, and the coach can't even finish 4th, but you're very happy with the hometown boy. Beard took over a below .500 team, and won 30 his first year. How long is it gonna take your man Wes to finish above .500? Of course our AD gave him a four year contract and a nice raise for finishing below par. It's a hellava deal if you can get one like it, you can lose and get a nice raise.

I'd like to win 20, but I don't know how likely that is. But, I don't think that is out of he question with the expanded schedule (we will be in another exempt tournament this year). If we can go into the tourney with 18 wins, and win a couple in New Orleans I'd be thrilled. I'm also absolutely thrilled to have a hometown boy, who actually bought a house in Little Rock and wasn't looking for a new job halfway through his first season. Really don't want another "one and done" coach, who brings in a senior transfers so he can win and get the hell out of dodge before the door can hit him on the way out. Wes will build this program, the right way, from the ground up.
04-03-2017 03:07 PM
RBL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Little Rock
I enjoyed the one and done year. It was exciting. Be fine with me if we did it every year as long as he wins and is leaving for a better job for him.
04-04-2017 02:11 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

04-04-2017 08:33 AM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2017 08:33 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Here is the 247 Sports list.
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketb...iorCollege

Apparently they only list the top 12- or am I missing something?
04-04-2017 09:51 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

That is all I could find on that site.
04-04-2017 10:53 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2017 03:07 PM)mjs Wrote:  I'd like to win 20, but I don't know how likely that is. But, I don't think that is out of he question with the expanded schedule (we will be in another exempt tournament this year). If we can go into the tourney with 18 wins, and win a couple in New Orleans I'd be thrilled. I'm also absolutely thrilled to have a hometown boy, who actually bought a house in Little Rock and wasn't looking for a new job halfway through his first season. Really don't want another "one and done" coach, who brings in a senior transfers so he can win and get the hell out of dodge before the door can hit him on the way out. Wes will build this program, the right way, from the ground up.

Don't think I've ever seen a fan who loves the winning when the coach is here, but hates all of them when they leave, but at the same time loves the losers like Platt and Shields after they leave. mjs loves them when they get fired, but when they do well, and get another job, he HATES them.

I didn't see any door hitting Coach Beard in the ass when he left, because he kicked the damn door completely off the hinges in Little Rock when it comes to winning.

And as far as Wes building this program the right way, from the ground up, well, we'll have to see about that. He's not off to a very good start having a losing season when left with some pretty good talent. I'd say he's gonna have to build it from basement level to get it back to ground level, because he dug a pretty good hole.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 11:18 AM by LRTrojan.)
04-04-2017 11:10 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(04-04-2017 11:10 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 03:07 PM)mjs Wrote:  I'd like to win 20, but I don't know how likely that is. But, I don't think that is out of he question with the expanded schedule (we will be in another exempt tournament this year). If we can go into the tourney with 18 wins, and win a couple in New Orleans I'd be thrilled. I'm also absolutely thrilled to have a hometown boy, who actually bought a house in Little Rock and wasn't looking for a new job halfway through his first season. Really don't want another "one and done" coach, who brings in a senior transfers so he can win and get the hell out of dodge before the door can hit him on the way out. Wes will build this program, the right way, from the ground up.

Don't think I've ever seen a fan who loves the winning when the coach is here, but hates all of them when they leave, but at the same time loves the losers like Platt and Shields after they leave. mjs loves them when they get fired, but when they do well, and get another job, he HATES them.

By the way, I didn't see any door hitting Beard in the ass when he left, because he kicked the door off the hinges as far as Little Rock basketball is concerned.

And as far as Wes building this program the right way, from the ground up, well, we'll have to see about that. He's not off to a very good start having a losing season when left with some pretty good talent. I'd say he's gonna have to build it from basement level to get it back to ground level, because he dug a pretty good hole.

LRTrojan, your first paragraph does point out a very strange phenomenon. Personally, I'd take a one and done coach every year if we could have results like last year. Having bigger programs want your coach is a sure sign of success at our level. I'd love it if we had to worry about our coach getting hired away after every season!
04-04-2017 11:19 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Everyone uses Gonzaga as the epitome of the non-Power Conference school. You want to get a one-and-done coach who is not "and done," like they did.

The odds of getting a one-and-done coach year after year indefinitely are so long as to be impossible. Sure, we would all love that. Tulsa had a good run of coaches other people wanted, but even they had a few hiccups. It's just tough to do. No AD's judgment is quite that good. (And no fan's is, either.)

Level One is hiring coaches who can't move up.
Level Two is consistently hiring coaches who do move up.
Level Three is hiring coaches whom other people want, but who stay. Then you have a shot at becoming Gonzaga.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 11:49 AM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
04-04-2017 11:45 AM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2017 11:10 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

I didn't see any door hitting Coach Beard in the ass when he left, because he kicked the damn door completely off the hinges in Little Rock when it comes to winning.

Hate may be a just a tad strong, but I certainly don't like it or worship the coaches that abandon our program. Don't see a lot of love for McCasland on the ASU board. Their fans actually appear to love their program more than a coach who skips town after a year.
04-04-2017 11:49 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2017 11:45 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Everyone uses Gonzaga as the epitome of the non-Power Conference school. You want to get a one-and-done coach who is not "and done," like they did.

The odds of getting a one-and-done coach year after year indefinitely are so long as to be impossible. Sure, we would all love that. Tulsa had a good run of coaches other people wanted, but even they had a few hiccups. It's just tough to do. No AD's judgment is quite that good. (And no fan's is, either.)

Level Three is hiring coaches whom other people want, but who stay. Then you have a shot at becoming Gonzaga.

Good way to put it. Last year was fun for us, but really was more for the "tourist" as you like to put it. They came for the last few games of Beard's stay (once it was clear to all we were having a super year) and then they were gone. Beard did absolutely nothing for the long term good of our program- It was a one year blip and absolutely nothing has really changed. We are who we are- no different than before he came. Maybe Wes can build a real "program", maybe not. But, I'd rather take my chances on a home grown product, who loves the city, and wants to make our program a success than a one-hit wonder who is gone as soon as a better offer comes around.
04-04-2017 11:58 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2017 11:58 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 11:45 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Everyone uses Gonzaga as the epitome of the non-Power Conference school. You want to get a one-and-done coach who is not "and done," like they did.

Good way to put it. Last year was fun for us, but really was more for the "tourist" as you like to put it. They came for the last few games of Beard's stay (once it was clear to all we were having a super year) and then they were gone. Beard did absolutely nothing for the long term good of our program- It was a one year blip and absolutely nothing has really changed. We are who we are- no different than before he came. Maybe Wes can build a real "program", maybe not. But, I'd rather take my chances on a home grown product, who loves the city, and wants to make our program a success than a one-hit wonder who is gone as soon as a better offer comes around.

One other point- Joe Foley. No doubt he could have left for another job. He loves the school, city, building a program, and then maintaining it. Some people are not all about the money. I realize Coach Few makes a great salary, but no doubt he could have doubled it going to a "big name" program- Instead he chose to make Gonzaga a big name program and has done that. No way that can be done changing coaches every year (or even every 2 years).
04-04-2017 12:03 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2017 11:58 AM)mjs Wrote:  Good way to put it. Last year was fun for us, but really was more for the "tourist" as you like to put it. They came for the last few games of Beard's stay (once it was clear to all we were having a super year) and then they were gone. Beard did absolutely nothing for the long term good of our program- It was a one year blip and absolutely nothing has really changed. We are who we are- no different than before he came. Maybe Wes can build a real "program", maybe not. But, I'd rather take my chances on a home grown product, who loves the city, and wants to make our program a success than a one-hit wonder who is gone as soon as a better offer comes around.

Beard got us a lot of good. He led us to an exciting win for a second time to make the second d. He brought excitement to the program, he probably sold some season tickets that we'll probably lose now after Flannigan flubbed the dub.. He left some good players that Flannigan coached to a losing season. He seemed to be a class act all the way. I'm sure Flannigan is a nice guy, but he took us backwards to where Shields left us. I really like Chase and he's done a lot of good things, but he screwed up twice, hiring him in the first place and then giving him a raise for losing. Should Chase be fired? Hell no, no one is perfect, but if you get you head caught in the mouse trap and get it out, you don't stick it in there a second time and give the guy a raise.
04-04-2017 03:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.