Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA referee John Higgins receiving death threats from Kentucky fans
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...-tar-heels

NCAA referee John Higgins met with law enforcement for more than two hours Tuesday after Kentucky fans sent death threats, repeatedly called his company's office and home -- despite an unlisted number -- and posted a barrage of false messages about his business on the company's Facebook page, sources told ESPN.
03-29-2017 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: NCAA referee John Higgins receiving death threats from Kentucky fans
Yep --- Kentucky fans are seriously unbalanced. Louisville fans have known this since forever. Now the rest of the world is getting to see them in all their glory. Aren't they just great?
03-29-2017 11:39 AM
TopperCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL & WKU
Been saying it for years. They are the most backward, unstable fanbase in the entire country.
03-29-2017 12:01 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Some Blueneck was getting his haircut in Newport Ky yesterday, and proceeded to call UC "heathens", after seeing me in my UC jacket. Loud mouth non stop. Surprised he knew the term.
03-29-2017 01:29 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
John Calipari‏Verified account @UKCoachCalipari 1h1 hour ago
I always brag that we have the classiest fans in the country. Let's make sure we remain that way even after a tough loss.

M_H‏ @doubleU_ES
@UKCoachCalipari Cal we got cheated man, we hurting . We ain't got time for classy . We want justice man
03-29-2017 03:50 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(03-29-2017 01:29 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Some Blueneck was getting his haircut in Newport Ky yesterday, and proceeded to call UC "heathens", after seeing me in my UC jacket. Loud mouth non stop. Surprised he knew the term.

All UCs are heathens. Just roll with it. 04-cheers
03-29-2017 03:54 PM
Advertisement

dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
I don't understand why more fan bases don't riot and try to kill the refs. They are so corrupt to everyone that they need to have some citizen's justice done to them.
03-29-2017 05:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-29-2017 05:36 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote:  I don't understand why more fan bases don't riot and try to kill the refs. They are so corrupt to everyone that they need to have some citizen's justice done to them.

First I don't condone threats. That said here is the impetus for their ire. Higgins has officiated about 13 or 14 Kentucky post season games. He has been involve in the vast majority of them with controversial calls or no calls. They've lost all but two of those games.

What this leads me to ponder is why when we get to this level of play the coaches of each team aren't permitted the right to strike one official each from a list of prospective officials. That way both teams play with a set of officials in which their least favorite of the bunch is not on the court. This seems fair to me.

One Cat fan told me before the game was even played that he was disheartened when he found out Higgins was working the game. Officials should be in the background. And officials with long histories for or against certain schools should be struck automatically.
03-29-2017 06:16 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
No sympathy for UK fans and "biased" refs. UK got handed a Final Four berth in 1984 when they hosted the s16/E8 round at Rupp Arena, and Illinois couldn't overcome the 5 on 8 match up.
03-29-2017 06:28 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-29-2017 06:28 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  No sympathy for UK fans and "biased" refs. UK got handed a Final Four berth in 1984 when they hosted the s16/E8 round at Rupp Arena, and Illinois couldn't overcome the 5 on 8 match up.
Up until 1987 or '88, lots of teams got to play one or two NCAAT games on their home court. Kentucky was far from the only team to benefit from that.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2017 06:35 PM by Native Georgian.)
03-29-2017 06:34 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-29-2017 06:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Higgins has officiated about 13 or 14 Kentucky post season games. He has been involve in the vast majority of them with controversial calls or no calls. They've lost all but two of those games.
JR is there a list of those games, scores/locations/dates/etc. ?
03-29-2017 06:37 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Let's not blame Kentucky or calipari for deranged fans anymore than Alabama for Harvey Updyke Jr. or anyone else. A nutcase who attaches to a school they probably never graduated from (it's usually tribal identity to their State, no different than nut cases in Ohio, Texas, Nebraska, Tennessee, Michigan, or Pennsylvania). Nutcases are nutcases.

The only comment I have is we tend to tolerate it, especially in politics, if they align with our colors. But we should not. Calipari made the correct statement. It's all you can ask.
03-29-2017 06:39 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(03-29-2017 06:34 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 06:28 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  No sympathy for UK fans and "biased" refs. UK got handed a Final Four berth in 1984 when they hosted the s16/E8 round at Rupp Arena, and Illinois couldn't overcome the 5 on 8 match up.
Up until 1987 or '88, lots of teams got to play one or two NCAAT games on their home court. Kentucky was far from the only team to benefit from that.

Yes, this was the game to send to the final four. And so bad was the UK bias is that prompted the NCAA to go to neutral sites.
03-29-2017 06:51 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(03-29-2017 06:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 05:36 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote:  I don't understand why more fan bases don't riot and try to kill the refs. They are so corrupt to everyone that they need to have some citizen's justice done to them.

First I don't condone threats. That said here is the impetus for their ire. Higgins has officiated about 13 or 14 Kentucky post season games. He has been involve in the vast majority of them with controversial calls or no calls. They've lost all but two of those games.

What this leads me to ponder is why when we get to this level of play the coaches of each team aren't permitted the right to strike one official each from a list of prospective officials. That way both teams play with a set of officials in which their least favorite of the bunch is not on the court. This seems fair to me.

One Cat fan told me before the game was even played that he was disheartened when he found out Higgins was working the game. Officials should be in the background. And officials with long histories for or against certain schools should be struck automatically.

I'm sure that the University of Kentucky doesn't condone threats either JR, like most of us. I think the Higgins "conspiracy" is being overblown by some fans. What would be his motive? To an unbiased viewer there wasn't an unusual amount of "bad calls" directed at either team. How many fans can name their teams record with a certain official? Higgins didn't have anything to do with UK defense backing off of Hayes on the game winning shot. This is nothing more than a few fans being sore losers. Bad calls happen, look at what happened to Northwestern.

On a side note, the NCAA has assigned Higgins to the Final 4.
03-29-2017 07:03 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I just thought the game was poorly officiated period. If anything I'd be more concerned about managing the point spread rather than the outcome.
03-29-2017 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-29-2017 07:03 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

I'm sure that the University of Kentucky doesn't condone threats either JR, like most of us. I think the Higgins "conspiracy" is being overblown by some fans. What would be his motive? To an unbiased viewer there wasn't an unusual amount of "bad calls" directed at either team. How many fans can name their teams record with a certain official? Higgins didn't have anything to do with UK defense backing off of Hayes on the game winning shot. This is nothing more than a few fans being sore losers. Bad calls happen, look at what happened to Northwestern.

Lenville the game was called evenly until the 3 minute mark, just like the Arkansas game. After that point touch fouls were called under one basket and muggings happened on the other end without a call. That's all you need to swing a close game.

Now, I'm not saying it was fixed, just that an official with a history involving Kentucky games was involved.

Now as for a list of times and dates you might want to consult Blue Dynasty (reference here to Native Georgian).
03-29-2017 07:21 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-29-2017 07:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Lenville the game was called evenly until the 3 minute mark, just like the Arkansas game. After that point touch fouls were called under one basket and muggings happened on the other end without a call. That's all you need to swing a close game.

Now, I'm not saying it was fixed, just that an official with a history involving Kentucky games was involved.

Now as for a list of times and dates you might want to consult Blue Dynasty (reference here to Native Georgian).

But as usual we have a swarm of nitpickers and defenders of the rotten status quo, while the main thrust of my post is ignored. Why can't coaches each strike one official from calling one of their tournament games? It's an easy procedure that won't keep the officials from working, but it would keep them from working games where they have a bad history with a team, either team.
03-29-2017 07:22 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(03-29-2017 07:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

There were a couple of missed calls --- both ways.

The "Higgins conspiracy" is pure garbage. UK lost the game to UNC because after they had a 5 point lead with 5 minutes to play, they had 6 straight trips with 0 points. UK HAD that game, and they blew it. Not because Higgins had anything to do with it.

Also, these other mysterious games Higgins had a hand in -- Wisconsin, UConn, Michigan State ... those were damn good teams UK played deep in the tourney.

Only UK fans have this mentality, that someone or something is "out to get them" and "cost them their title". That's delusional thinking. And idiotic.

You didn't UNC fans lose their collective minds last year when they lost the championship on a last second shot.

Only UK fans do this.

It's total INSANITY.
03-29-2017 08:09 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Higgins conspiracy or not, the whole "each team should be allowed to strike one official" a la lawyers/jurors absolutely should be a rule.
03-29-2017 08:19 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(03-29-2017 08:19 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Higgins conspiracy or not, the whole "each team should be allowed to strike one official" a la lawyers/jurors absolutely should be a rule.

I don't know about that.

Ref's aren't juries. They're more like judges. Lawyers don't get to choose the judge they try their case in front of. It's luck of the draw.
03-29-2017 08:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.