Open TigerLinks

Problems with BB program
Bookmark and Share
BK#14 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Problems with BB program
Do they run deeper than just a coach???

Coach Bartow, Coach Finch and Coach Kirk went to sweet 16s, elite 8s and Final fours and their whole recruiting expense was a tank of gas....

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but it just sucks not even being relevant in March. It's sad
03-24-2017 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Problems with BB program
AAU ball and the internet make the tank of gas recruiting method much more difficult. Kids are exposed to more. They meet more people and they see other programs. In all honesty, the Memphis only concept is a tougher one, because of the near proximity of the leeches and hangers on.
03-24-2017 10:55 AM
BK#14 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 10:55 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  AAU ball and the internet make the tank of gas recruiting method much more difficult. Kids are exposed to more. They meet more people and they see other programs. In all honesty, the Memphis only concept is a tougher one, because of the near proximity of the leeches and hangers on.

Agree with you on the AAU and internet thing. We used to not have to worry about leeches and hangers on when it came to our local players. It's gotten worse the more irrelevant we've become. Used to we would get the top 3 or 4 players in Memphis every year and I would put that team up against anybody in the country and win...A LOT!

Something happened.....
03-24-2017 11:07 AM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(03-24-2017 11:07 AM)BK#14 Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 10:55 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  AAU ball and the internet make the tank of gas recruiting method much more difficult. Kids are exposed to more. They meet more people and they see other programs. In all honesty, the Memphis only concept is a tougher one, because of the near proximity of the leeches and hangers on.

Agree with you on the AAU and internet thing. We used to not have to worry about leeches and hangers on when it came to our local players. It's gotten worse the more irrelevant we've become. Used to we would get the top 3 or 4 players in Memphis every year and I would put that team up against anybody in the country and win...A LOT!

Something happened.....

It seem link there has always been some degree of interference from family and friends. I remember Marcus Nolan's dad protesting his son's lack of playing time in front of the Pyramid. Its tough for everyone who is emotionally and finacially invested in these kids when the clock eventually runs out.

That being said, Tubby needs to look to Texas, Georgia and all spots in between to fill his roster. If there is a special Memphis kid, take him, but Lord knows, he can't fill a team with only Memphis kids.
03-24-2017 11:42 AM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
This may be one of those "every school has these issues" - but there just seems to be too much public drama around individual players to make it completely enjoyable for us fans. Over the last few years, which major recruits / players have not had some kind of drama that became a distraction. DJ's last two year, Geron maybe, Chris Crawford, Will Barton's second year up until the NCAA tourney. I'm sure there are a couple more, but think of how many did have drama - Joe almost transferring multiple times, Tarik's drama even before he transferred, Austin's issues, Nick King, Adonis, mishandling of Burrell, Iverson, Powell, the issues with Shaq, drama with the Lawsons, etc. How many of those type of public issues did Gene, Dana, and Larry have happen? I'm sure there were some, but I don't remember it being multiple issues every year.
03-24-2017 12:15 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(03-24-2017 12:15 PM)Trapper John Wrote:  This may be one of those "every school has these issues" - but there just seems to be too much public drama around individual players to make it completely enjoyable for us fans. Over the last few years, which major recruits / players have not had some kind of drama that became a distraction. DJ's last two year, Geron maybe, Chris Crawford, Will Barton's second year up until the NCAA tourney. I'm sure there are a couple more, but think of how many did have drama - Joe almost transferring multiple times, Tarik's drama even before he transferred, Austin's issues, Nick King, Adonis, mishandling of Burrell, Iverson, Powell, the issues with Shaq, drama with the Lawsons, etc. How many of those type of public issues did Gene, Dana, and Larry have happen? I'm sure there were some, but I don't remember it being multiple issues every year.

And I don't remember it being Memphis radio fodder either...
03-24-2017 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BK#14 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 12:15 PM)Trapper John Wrote:  This may be one of those "every school has these issues" - but there just seems to be too much public drama around individual players to make it completely enjoyable for us fans. Over the last few years, which major recruits / players have not had some kind of drama that became a distraction. DJ's last two year, Geron maybe, Chris Crawford, Will Barton's second year up until the NCAA tourney. I'm sure there are a couple more, but think of how many did have drama - Joe almost transferring multiple times, Tarik's drama even before he transferred, Austin's issues, Nick King, Adonis, mishandling of Burrell, Iverson, Powell, the issues with Shaq, drama with the Lawsons, etc. How many of those type of public issues did Gene, Dana, and Larry have happen? I'm sure there were some, but I don't remember it being multiple issues every year.

I don't either. But maybe they were the kind of coaches that wouldn't tolerate that sort of stuff. "you're not happy??? Dont let the door hit you in the ass"...this also speaks very strongly to the family and friends element. AAU coaches in the ears of these kids...Easterwood has been saying this for years. Maybe I'm just too old...I sure miss the good ole days!
03-24-2017 01:29 PM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
If you're still working, you've got to have noticed the cultural changes we've undergone in the workplace over the last decade or so, with more pandering to employees to make sure they're happy and fulfilled instead of making sure they put in eight hours work for eight hours' pay. It's the new reality. The old ideas of pride and loyalty have been replaced by the new ones of entitlement and lack of respect for authority. Gotta be tough for coaches to deal with, as well.
03-24-2017 01:50 PM
idroot4russia Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 01:29 PM)BK#14 Wrote:  

I don't either. But maybe they were the kind of coaches that wouldn't tolerate that sort of stuff. "you're not happy??? Dont let the door hit you in the ass"...this also speaks very strongly to the family and friends element. AAU coaches in the ears of these kids...Easterwood has been saying this for years. Maybe I'm just too old...I sure miss the good ole days!

I think the problems started toward the end of Finch's run and were his ultimate undoing.

Marcus Nolan
Deuce Ford
Johnny Miller
Robert O'Kelly
Tony Harris
Cory Bradford
03-24-2017 02:02 PM
BK#14 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 01:50 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  If you're still working, you've got to have noticed the cultural changes we've undergone in the workplace over the last decade or so, with more pandering to employees to make sure they're happy and fulfilled instead of making sure they put in eight hours work for eight hours' pay. It's the new reality. The old ideas of pride and loyalty have been replaced by the new ones of entitlement and lack of respect for authority. Gotta be tough for coaches to deal with, as well.

Oh yeah...still working...I retired for a whole weekend once and couldn't stand it.
This could cause this thread to go off in another direction if we're not careful...
03-24-2017 02:05 PM
idroot4russia Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Here is an interesting and topical article from the Flyer from Tic Price's first season:

"When I asked Price before the first game of the season about recruiting local players, he had a ready answer – a good, thoughtful answer. He said he would not recruit a Memphis player to sit on the bench.

“We don’t want to put a young man in a position where he is not playing and when he goes back to his neighborhood people ask him, ‘Why aren’t you playing?’” Price said. “We really look for guys from Memphis to be able to come in and play a lot for us. If we don’t feel like they can, we won’t recruit them.”

Recalling past Tiger teams which suffered from tensions that could easily be traced to past junior-high and high-school rivalries, Price’s position makes sense. At the same time, it may take Tiger fans a while to adjust to rooting for a team which is no longer home-grown. Only two of the 10 players on this year’s roster were from Memphis, and one of them, Detric Golden, was returning from a two-year stint in junior college. Price’s philosophy on recruiting local players may be logical, but this year, at least, it might have contributed to a temporary drop in local support. Next year several Memphis prep stars are expected to join the Tiger program. If players like Paris London and Jimmie “Snap” Hunter live up to their advance billing, local identity problems will fly away."

http://www.memphisflyer.com/backissues/i...rt475b.htm
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 02:07 PM by idroot4russia.)
03-24-2017 02:06 PM
Advertisement

BK#14 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 02:02 PM)idroot4russia Wrote:  

I think the problems started toward the end of Finch's run and were his ultimate undoing.

Marcus Nolan
Deuce Ford
Johnny Miller
Robert O'Kelly
Tony Harris
Cory Bradford

Especially those last 3...Tony Harris going to EWE TAY was a biggie...
03-24-2017 02:07 PM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
Misses aside, the small amount of drama during the second half of Finch's career would be a breath of fresh air these days compared to what we now seem to face. Cal had his fair share of drama as well, but he seemed better at deflecting it, ignoring it, and recruiting over it than our other coaches. I will agree that radio, social media, and the influx of professional and amateur commentary have created a lot of noise that simply wasn't there before. Its funny to think back to a time where you learned who was actually playing for your team when the preseason rolled around and the local and national publications started coming out previewing the season.
03-24-2017 03:04 PM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
(03-24-2017 03:04 PM)Trapper John Wrote:  Misses aside, the small amount of drama during the second half of Finch's career would be a breath of fresh air these days compared to what we now seem to face. Cal had his fair share of drama as well, but he seemed better at deflecting it, ignoring it, and recruiting over it than our other coaches. I will agree that radio, social media, and the influx of professional and amateur commentary have created a lot of noise that simply wasn't there before. Its funny to think back to a time where you learned who was actually playing for your team when the preseason rolled around and the local and national publications started coming out previewing the season.

Memphis kids get killed if they don't start here or don't average 15+, and praised when they leave. It's crazy.
03-24-2017 03:21 PM
BK#14 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 03:21 PM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 03:04 PM)Trapper John Wrote:  Misses aside, the small amount of drama during the second half of Finch's career would be a breath of fresh air these days compared to what we now seem to face. Cal had his fair share of drama as well, but he seemed better at deflecting it, ignoring it, and recruiting over it than our other coaches. I will agree that radio, social media, and the influx of professional and amateur commentary have created a lot of noise that simply wasn't there before. Its funny to think back to a time where you learned who was actually playing for your team when the preseason rolled around and the local and national publications started coming out previewing the season.

Memphis kids get killed if they don't start here or don't average 15+, and praised when they leave. It's crazy.

I know...but it wasn't always like that....which is kinda my point...what happened?
03-24-2017 03:29 PM
Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

I blame cell phones

Back in the day you had to have the HS coaches blessing

Then the parents

These guys today bypass everyone and go straight to the kid

Calling and texting all the time

I had kids play for me that I never met until tryouts

Now coaches not only stay calling their players, but yours also
03-24-2017 03:31 PM
Advertisement

BK#14 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 03:31 PM)Easterwood Wrote:  

I blame cell phones

Then the parents

Egos gotta be stroked....they keep getting told that they are the next second coming...probably starts in what....the 8th grade????
03-24-2017 04:01 PM
oruvoice Online
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(03-24-2017 04:01 PM)BK#14 Wrote:  

I blame cell phones

Then the parents

Egos gotta be stroked....they keep getting told that they are the next second coming...probably starts in what....the 8th grade????

It starts WAY before that! I coached my son's 7-8 year old YMCA basketball team last fall and you'd be SHOCKED at these parents.
03-24-2017 04:16 PM
Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

I blame cell phones

Then the parents

Earlier

I'm not calling or texting a kid at my age

Unless it's about practice
03-24-2017 04:18 PM
BK#14 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 04:18 PM)Easterwood Wrote:  

I blame cell phones

Then the parents

Earlier

I'm not calling or texting a kid at my age

Unless it's about practice

damn...I gotta keep up....Kids that age should be watching Spongebob and eating fruit roll ups, not talking about where they wanna play ball...
03-24-2017 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.