Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Whitford leaving Ball St. for Duquesne... maybe?
Bookmark and Share
Eagle66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Whitford leaving Ball St. for Duquesne... maybe?
Per ESPN / Jeff Goodman, Whitford is heading from Muncie to Pittsburgh.

Edited Title to reflect ESPN correcting their story.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 07:53 AM by Eagle66.)
03-23-2017 07:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rocket A Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Whitford leaving Ball St. for Duquesne
Ouch!!!
03-23-2017 08:15 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Ball State and Miami may now be looking at the same group of candidates. 5 years ago, Miami offered Whitford, he made some demands which our AD did not agree to, and James said no and ended up at Ball State. At least this time I think Miami is serious about trying to turn the program around.
03-23-2017 08:26 PM
pennies4everybody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball U
ESPN has corrected their story. Not hired (yet), but on a 2nd interview.
03-23-2017 09:18 PM
kreed5120 Online
1st String

I Root For: Akron
Duquesne hasn't been good in decades and playing in Pitt's shadow in not all that great facilities. I don't see them contending in the A10 any time soon.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 09:37 PM by kreed5120.)
03-23-2017 09:23 PM
Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ball State
Fine by me. Still hasn't recruited a big man since he's been here.
03-23-2017 09:30 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-23-2017 09:30 PM)Frozenbaugh Wrote:  Fine by me. Still hasn't recruited a big man since he's been here.

Wow. BSU goes 11 - 7 in conference, makes the MAC semis and you say 'meh'???
03-24-2017 04:26 AM
kreed5120 Online
1st String

(03-24-2017 04:26 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 09:30 PM)Frozenbaugh Wrote:  Fine by me. Still hasn't recruited a big man since he's been here.

By beating up on a very weak MAC West who they went 9-1 against, 10-1 if you count the tournament. Whitford has Ball State trending in the right direction, but I wouldn't exactly say they've 'made it' yet. I was actually surprised when I saw Whirford was leaving as I felt he still has more to prove. Then again anyone with an established resume would hold out for something better than the dead end job of Duquesne.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 06:18 AM by kreed5120.)
03-24-2017 06:17 AM
Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

(03-24-2017 04:26 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Yes. It's like Gulliver vs the Lilliputians when they play Akron or Ohio or even Western. It's taken him years to get a true big man and still hasn't got it done.

They haven't beaten Akron or Kent in a million tries and I don't think Ohio either.

He does have them going in the right direction. The product on the court was so much better. Take away the OOC in the 300's and I'm not sure you've seen 2 consecutive 20 win teams.
03-24-2017 06:36 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
A lot depends on what he sees as his career trajectory, and/or how he views the administration at Ball St.and its support of him or the program. At Duquesne, he will get more money for a few years. That may be enough to make the move. It would have been a stupid move for Dambrot a few years back because he was looking more for stability and institutional support more than the salary increase for 4-5 years. Basketball wise, it's basically lateral: terrible program but in a better conference with more upside. Being in a better conference doesn't matter much if you are always near the bottom But if you can turn it around, the upside is higher. I think coaches always believe they can be the guy to turn around bad programs.

This is a really interesting situation, but just the fact that he is going for a second interview means his time at BSU is limited. It's always tough to go back when you have publicly flirted with another girl: see Dakich, Murphy. Awkward!
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 07:47 AM by axeme.)
03-24-2017 07:46 AM
Special Teams

RE: Whitford leaving Ball St. for Duquesne... maybe?
If I were Duquesne, I'd be looking at a couple things with Whit (these are the things that frustrate us BSU folks)...

- The running joke thread on the BSU fan site is regarding the race to see if BSU maintained the worst OOC SOS for the season. I think this year we came in 2nd best err... worst in that competition, after maybe being 5th the year prior. Building 20 win seasons is great and all, but IU-Kokomo and Longwood and North Florida and South Utah and Bradley and... sigh. No wonder our attendance is in the crapper.

- Trey Moses has turned out to be a good big man. But, in Whit's four years, he's the only big that's been successfully recruited (EDIT: I should say two, Moses and Teague, but only one back-to-the-basket post player). He has had a big ole whiff on every other big man recruit, and next year he maybe would have paid for it now that Franko (not his recruit) is gone. This year, of the four open schollies, only one commit in the fall. Granted, a solid 3-star guard, but three open schollies going into the late recruiting season. Two more have now been filled, one with a player (again 3-star) who we were gifted when Creen was fired at IU, and another project big who verballed the day before this Duq business started and had very little interest from anyone MAC or higher. Who knows if either will stay. The last two years had desperation pick-ups of graduate bigs that ended up being 7 foot scout team players, and also throw a practice player JUCO 6'8" into the mix and the 6'8" freshman who left for junior college after his redshirt. So, Whit is 1 for 5 in his big recruiting, with the 4 being total whiffs who have since left, and with two unknowns (Hollywood, a redshirt freshman this year, and the aforementioned project). Actually, I will say 2 for 6, as Teague was a solid pickup, but I'm speaking more about his inability to land true inside post players, and he is most definitely a slasher and mid-ranger and not really a post.

I won't be sad to see him gone in general, but I will be concerned for the state of the season next year. Who will leave? Who can a new coach get to plug the gaps? Of course, that's what Miami and everyone else in this situation goes through, so it's not really unique to BSU, but it seemed like we were on the cusp of getting somewhere finally, and maybe were just one big man recruit away from finally moving back to the top tier in the MAC. Sigh.

I have to agree with commitment from the administration being a reason he may be leaving. That and the writing on the wall about the fact BSU may have peaked under his watch at this point. The admin has shown little commitment to returning this program to what it once was. And... who am I kidding? Majerus was an accident, and Hunsaker was a first year head coach who rode in with Majerus. The start of BSU's 90's peak was full on accident based on Rick picking a school that was close to his parents and not anything the administration did. Ray turned out OK, but was again a first time head coach who worked out. Buckley was a first time head coach who took the program a step further down. Then Ronny came along and totally blew the thing up. I give Taylor and Whit some credit for salvaging and stopping the bleeding, but the program is nowhere near where it was with even Buck, let alone with Ray or Dick regardless of what the record states. Both of these coaches padded wins with sorry SOS, and the RPI reflects that (21 wins this year and in the 150-170 range, while Buck's .500 level teams were usually 130-150... actually, that's a reflection on the entire conference as much as the OOC scheduling, but I digress).
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 11:25 AM by pennies4everybody.)
03-24-2017 08:51 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Speaking of coaching messes, how about UMass? They hired the coach from Winthrop and were set to announce him, had the press conference ready to go yesterday and then THIRTY MINUTES before it was scheduled, he gets cold feet and decides to go back to Winthrop.

Ouch.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...emen-coach

As a guy on the radio said this a.m., it gives new meaning to the name "Minutemen."
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 12:41 PM by axeme.)
03-24-2017 12:39 PM
Special Teams

Whitford turned down the Duq offer. With all said above, I'm still glad he stayed. Now... go get me a quality JUCO middle guy and we'll be in bizness...
03-24-2017 04:30 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Finally coaches are learning that a small step up can be fraught with peril and a good mid-major job is worth keeping.
03-24-2017 04:47 PM
kreed5120 Online
1st String

Duquesne is once again trying to make a push for Dambrot.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/duques...h-dambrot/
03-24-2017 07:54 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
Stop trying to make Fetch happen, Duquesne.
03-24-2017 08:08 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Wouldn't be the first time Whitford pulled out of a job at the last minute. And in both cases he probably made the right decision.
03-24-2017 08:11 PM
LongtimeFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 08:11 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Wouldn't be the first time Whitford pulled out of a job at the last minute. And in both cases he probably made the right decision.

Without a doubt, and he has the program on a good upswing. Administrative support is pretty good at Ball State today. Will break ground on new practice facility for basketball and volleyball next week. Looking forward to next season already.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2017 12:26 AM by LongtimeFan.)
03-25-2017 12:23 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(03-25-2017 12:23 AM)LongtimeFan Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 08:11 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Wouldn't be the first time Whitford pulled out of a job at the last minute. And in both cases he probably made the right decision.

Without a doubt, and he has the program on a good upswing. Administrative support is pretty good at Ball State today. Will break ground on new practice facility for basketball and volleyball next week. Looking forward to next season already.

Great.

Did he get a new contract out of this?
03-26-2017 04:19 PM
MikeSpicer Offline
Special Teams

(03-26-2017 04:19 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(03-25-2017 12:23 AM)LongtimeFan Wrote:  

Great.

Did he get a new contract out of this?
Got an extension a year ago.
03-27-2017 07:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.