New Column: Kiel Pursues NFL Dream

03-23-2017 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pat5775 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: New Column: Kiel Pursues NFL Dream
Good luck Gunner! I really hope some team, somewhere gives you a chance. The Bengals could soon trade AJ Mccarron and Driskel likely won't make it off the practice squad.....

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

03-23-2017 07:15 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-23-2017 07:15 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  Good luck Gunner! I really hope some team, somewhere gives you a chance. The Bengals could soon trade AJ Mccarron and Driskel likely won't make it off the practice squad.....

Gunner will end in Pittsburgh, and take over when Ben retires and then proceed to torture Bengal fans for a decade.

03-24-2017 12:10 PM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

(03-24-2017 12:10 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 07:15 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  Good luck Gunner! I really hope some team, somewhere gives you a chance. The Bengals could soon trade AJ Mccarron and Driskel likely won't make it off the practice squad.....

Gunner will end in Pittsburgh, and take over when Ben retires and then proceed to torture Bengal fans for a decade.

I've been fearing that for 3 years now. It would certainly be par for the course as a Cincinnati football fan.

03-24-2017 12:52 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I'm not sure Gunner ends up in the NFL long term. He might get picked up as undrafted free agent and put on a few practice rosters for a year or two, I just think teams will be too worried with injury and other things about him to take that gamble.

My guess is he will end up as a GA in Lexington within three years.

03-24-2017 12:56 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I understand rooting for him since he's one of our guys but you don't actually believe he can make a roster, let alone eventually start do you? Besides his hot start as a sophomore he's never looked like a pro to me. Turnover prone and can't throw on the run.

I hope I'm wrong because the guy handled a difficult situation with a lot of class but I'd be shocked if he ever plays a down of NFL ball, even in preseason.

03-24-2017 01:00 PM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
So will the real story get out after he talks with enough scouts?

03-24-2017 01:04 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
I'll always wonder why Tubs hated him so...
I wanted to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, I actually feel kind of bad for the kid.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 01:24 PM by Recluse1.)
03-24-2017 01:22 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-24-2017 12:52 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 12:10 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

I've been fearing that for 3 years now. It would certainly be par for the course as a Cincinnati football fan.

LOL. 04-cheers

03-24-2017 01:25 PM
scvanguard1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincy, Oklahoma
I think Gunner can play in the NFL if he learns to take what the defense gives you. So many times, he would pass up on an open receiver underneath to try and fit the ball in a window 15 yards further down field. As for his injury history, I think that was more to his physical makeup. Now that he's in better shape and stronger body wise, he's worth a shot.

03-24-2017 01:45 PM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

(03-24-2017 01:00 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  I understand rooting for him since he's one of our guys but you don't actually believe he can make a roster, let alone eventually start do you? Besides his hot start as a sophomore he's never looked like a pro to me. Turnover prone and can't throw on the run.

I hope I'm wrong because the guy handled a difficult situation with a lot of class but I'd be shocked if he ever plays a down of NFL ball, even in preseason.

We'll see. I'm certainly not going to put money on him becoming the next big thing in the NFL. But the physical tools are there. We'll see what happens...

Keep in mind, one of the best things that could happen to him after last year has happened: Tommy Tuberville is out of his life.

03-24-2017 03:17 PM
Advertisement

pat5775 Offline
1st String

(03-24-2017 01:22 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  I'll always wonder why Tubs hated him so...
I wanted to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, I actually feel kind of bad for the kid.

Who knows? We'll probably never know the real story. I doubt TT had a good enough reason, though. TT was clearly willing to blow the entire season to spite a college kid who he personally brought aboard.

03-24-2017 03:19 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
He's got quite an uphill battle, but IMHO, he showed NFL potential early then regressed instead of showing normal freshman to senior development. I wish him luck, and it will be especially humiliating for TT if he makes it.

03-24-2017 03:24 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I picture Kiel as a perfect backup for Roethlisberger at Pittsburgh (I could see him slipping into the same style of play very well). No expectations of being a franchise quarterback himself, but an affordable guy who can cover for a game or two if a franchise quarterback is injured.

03-24-2017 05:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(03-24-2017 03:19 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 01:22 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  I'll always wonder why Tubs hated him so...

Who knows? We'll probably never know the real story. I doubt TT had a good enough reason, though. TT was clearly willing to blow the entire season to spite a college kid who he personally brought aboard.

It could be because of some sinister nefarious clandestine actions by Kiel....or it could be because Tubberville was an old confused clown. Who really knows...

03-24-2017 05:49 PM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

(03-24-2017 05:49 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 03:19 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  

It could be because of some sinister nefarious clandestine actions by Kiel....or it could be because Tubberville was an old confused clown. Who really knows...

Somehow I think it has more to do with the latter but yeah, who really knows.

03-24-2017 07:36 PM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Until I hear otherwise my belief will be that Kiel challenged TT about his desire to win and Tt took major offense to it.

03-24-2017 09:39 PM
Fubar Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Red & Black
Wish him nothing but the best. Seemed to handle it as best anyone could, given the situation

03-27-2017 01:07 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(03-24-2017 03:24 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  He's got quite an uphill battle, but IMHO, he showed NFL potential early then regressed instead of showing normal freshman to senior development. I wish him luck, and it will be especially humiliating for TT if he makes it.

That man is incapable of humiliation. He would just tout it as fact that he singlehandedly got him to the NFL.

03-27-2017 09:39 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(03-27-2017 09:39 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 03:24 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  He's got quite an uphill battle, but IMHO, he showed NFL potential early then regressed instead of showing normal freshman to senior development. I wish him luck, and it will be especially humiliating for TT if he makes it.

That man is incapable of humiliation. He would just tout it as fact that he singlehandedly got him to the NFL.

Hey! Stop saying that about the guy who "improved" the program over his four years, and did things recruiting that "no one had ever done before" at UC.

03-28-2017 03:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.