Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shockers poss. to AAC effect on C-USA
Bookmark and Share
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
MyBB Shockers poss. to AAC effect on C-USA
Wichita State to AAC is starting to sound more likely.

Consequences?

--more multiple bids for AAC (less for us)
--widens gap between AAC and C-USA
--removes WSU from future C-USA expansion possibility
--puts more pressure on conf.'s like us to DO something
to improve basketball

Thoughts??
03-22-2017 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Shockers poss. to AAC effect on C-USA
Is WSU starting football? Seems like a desperate move by the AAC if they are willing to take on a school without football.
03-22-2017 02:53 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(03-22-2017 02:53 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Is WSU starting football? Seems like a desperate move by the AAC if they are willing to take on a school without football.

Navy is football only, so Wichita State balances that.
03-22-2017 03:16 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Gives them a perennial top 40 RPI team,more NCAA units possibility,and a travel partner for Tulsa.Etc.,etc..
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 03:25 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
03-22-2017 03:24 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(03-22-2017 02:48 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Wichita State to AAC is starting to sound more likely.

Consequences?

to improve basketball

Thoughts??

And less chance one of our members moves to AAC, I presume ?
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 03:31 PM by KAjunRaider.)
03-22-2017 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Would the AAC extend an invitation to a basketball-only school once Gregg Marshall takes the Indiana job? I guess we will see.
03-22-2017 03:45 PM
Advertisement

Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-22-2017 02:48 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Wichita State to AAC is starting to sound more likely.

Consequences?

to improve basketball

Thoughts??

--Can't get less than the one bid we consistently get now.
--In basketball there isn't a comparison anyway.
--In what world were we considering adding a basketball only school and what could we offer them?
--Conference officials get paid either way. They don't care.
03-22-2017 03:49 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
First off, believe it when you see it...

I don't see it affecting CUSA in anyway.
03-22-2017 04:42 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-22-2017 04:42 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  First off, believe it when you see it...

I don't see it affecting CUSA in anyway.

this....simple knee 'beef' jerky....

the end game is going to be so different in 4 years.....and I'm finished with that 'opine'....

I really don't give a shite at this pint guzzle....
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 06:48 AM by stinkfist.)
03-22-2017 05:38 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
LOL... No. Wichita State is Gregg Marshall. He's been there a decade and it's been their best years since their 80s heyday which wasn't much. They won the MVC a couple times in the 80s & won it a couple times recently under Marshall. Marshall has been biding his time for the right job to open up. Without him they are the same ole Wichita State. Having grown up watching MVC hoops I've seen a lot of them and while they are respectable, in my expert opinion the AAC doesn't need them unless they are just hell bent on getting 12 hoops schools.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 06:30 PM by MU ATO.)
03-22-2017 06:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

Donators
Oh and as far as the impact on CUSA? LOL. We don't need them either.
03-22-2017 06:26 PM
Advertisement

Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Boils down to TV money. Aresco knows the TV money will likely not improve much so time to pick up some NCAA credits to help the conference
03-22-2017 06:32 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(03-22-2017 06:25 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  LOL... No. Wichita State is Gregg Marshall. He's been there a decade and it's been their best years since their 80s heyday which wasn't much. They won the MVC a couple times in the 80s & won it a couple times recently under Marshall. Marshall has been biding his time for the right job to open up. Without him they are the same ole Wichita State. Having grown up watching MVC hoops I've seen a lot of them and while they are respectable, in my expert opinion the AAC doesn't need them unless they are just hell bent on getting 12 hoops schools.

Wichita is paying Marshall $3.3 million per year. If and when he leaves, the school should be able to hire another top coach.
03-22-2017 06:34 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

Donators
(03-22-2017 06:34 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 06:25 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  LOL... No. Wichita State is Gregg Marshall. He's been there a decade and it's been their best years since their 80s heyday which wasn't much. They won the MVC a couple times in the 80s & won it a couple times recently under Marshall. Marshall has been biding his time for the right job to open up. Without him they are the same ole Wichita State. Having grown up watching MVC hoops I've seen a lot of them and while they are respectable, in my expert opinion the AAC doesn't need them unless they are just hell bent on getting 12 hoops schools.

Wichita is paying Marshall $3.3 million per year. If and when he leaves, the school should be able to hire another top coach.

Possibly. Money talks. Like I said it's not the history of the program it's the coach & if they have to replace him possibly they can keep this recent success sustained. Possibly.
03-22-2017 06:40 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

There's no guarantee the NCAA bid they take will not be at the expense of another AAC school. The NCAA sure doesn't look at Wichita State as a sure NCAA bid...

30-4 and they gave them a 10 seed

So it's very possible that the value in NCAA units will remain the same if Wichita State joins or if they don't. I don't see them moving the needle on TV. So what could in up is the same money...with another mouth to feed. If we are being completely honest the AAC isn't looked at as a great conference with respect as it is. So the addition of Wichita State will not give Wichita State any added respect. Which is clearly...

not much even with them having a great run over the past 6 seasons. A 30*4 team does not get a 10 seed if they are respected enough to help lift a new conference. It's just the point of where college basketball is today. And the only way to get pass that is for the gravy train to drop out for those P5 conferences.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 06:51 PM by WKUYG.)
03-22-2017 06:50 PM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(03-22-2017 06:34 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Wichita is paying Marshall $3.3 million per year. If and when he leaves, the school should be able to hire another top coach.

Because every coach that has even been paid $3 million per year has always maintained the previous standard and never failed.

Speaking of which, how's Josh Pastner these days?
03-22-2017 07:56 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-22-2017 07:56 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 06:34 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Wichita is paying Marshall $3.3 million per year. If and when he leaves, the school should be able to hire another top coach.

Because every coach that has even been paid $3 million per year has always maintained the previous standard and never failed.

Hiring a new coach is always a crap shoot. But $$ does matter.
03-22-2017 08:20 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(03-22-2017 06:50 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  There's no guarantee the NCAA bid they take will not be at the expense of another AAC school. The NCAA sure doesn't look at Wichita State as a sure NCAA bid...

So it's very possible that the value in NCAA units will remain the same if Wichita State joins or if they don't. I don't see them moving the needle on TV. So what could in up is the same money...with another mouth to feed. If we are being completely honest the AAC isn't looked at as a great conference with respect as it is. So the addition of Wichita State will not give Wichita State any added respect. Which is clearly...

not much even with them having a great run over the past 6 seasons. A 30*4 team does not get a 10 seed if they are respected enough to help lift a new conference. It's just the point of where college basketball is today. And the only way to get pass that is for the gravy train to drop out for those P5 conferences.

As I said in another thread, Wichita State was the most disrespected team in the tournament seeding this year. They should've been a 6 or 7 seed with their metrics. They got hosed or the committee really wanted that WSU/Kentucky storyline for round 2 in the South, probably both.
03-22-2017 08:23 PM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(03-22-2017 08:20 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 07:56 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  

Hiring a new coach is always a crap shoot. But $$ does matter.

Speaking of which, how's Donnie Jones these days?
03-22-2017 08:32 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(03-22-2017 06:50 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  There's no guarantee the NCAA bid they take will not be at the expense of another AAC school. The NCAA sure doesn't look at Wichita State as a sure NCAA bid...

30-5 SMU was a 6th seed and 30-6 Cincy was a 6th seed in this year's tourney. The MVC's rpi was 12 and the AAC's was 7th. Wichita's sos was 140 and Cincy and SMU were in the 60s and 70s. I assume that if Wichita had been in the AAC this year, their seed would have been better than Cincy or SMU's if their record was the same though that would be a big if since their schedule would be more difficult.

From the Wichita point of view, it's their conference which gets no respect, not their school itself.
03-22-2017 10:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.