Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC & WMU Payouts from Cotton Bowl
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Exclamation MAC & WMU Payouts from Cotton Bowl
WMU Payouts from Cotton Bowl

"The Cotton Bowl distributed $6 million to the Mid-American Conference, and $2.11 million went for the MAC's required ticket purchase. The MAC retained an additional $2.75 million to be split among the 12 conference members later. "

$2.75M / 12 = 230K.

And WMU had expenses:

"WMU spent about $1.15 million in funds received from the Cotton Bowl for expenses related to the game, financial information the Kalamazoo Gazette obtained from the university through the Freedom of Information Act. "

So let's see if the math adds up: 2.11 + 2.75 + 1.15 = Yep, 6M.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/inde..._kalamazoo
03-22-2017 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
RE: MAC & WMU Payouts from Cotton Bowl
What about the G5 money?

IIRC that is another big chunk which gets split between the G5 based on finishing position.
03-22-2017 02:58 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Actually the big story, I think, is the amount of tickets the team (conference) needs to buy.

At say $100 / ticket, $2M = 20,000 tickets.

That is a big obligation to put on a participating school.

Some big time schools might do 20K, but I'd think 10K is likely unless the game is a marque match-up.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 03:30 PM by emu steve.)
03-22-2017 03:30 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
As long as MAC and Cotton Bowl are in the same article Im fine with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app
03-22-2017 04:28 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I'd like to know the number of tickets sold through WMU and how those proceeds were allocated?

Rebated to WMU? Offset against the guarantee to the Cotton Bowl? Something else?
03-23-2017 08:43 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Just glad al that money trickled down into MAC pockets and not AAC.

Let go for the repeat this year :) I'll volunteer NIU to go back to a major bowl, but I'm sure our coach will have a more mediocre season architected :(
03-23-2017 04:19 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-23-2017 04:19 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Just glad al that money trickled down into MAC pockets and not AAC.

Let go for the repeat this year :) I'll volunteer NIU to go back to a major bowl, but I'm sure our coach will have a more mediocre season architected :(

Where is P.J. when we need him? 03-lmfao

That said, without Terrell, Davis, Moton, Spillane, etc. WMU isn't even my pre-season MAC West favorite.
03-23-2017 04:25 PM
Advertisement

OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
That money is not chump change. That pays almost half the average head coach salary in the MAC.
03-24-2017 12:09 AM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

I Root For: WMU
(03-23-2017 04:25 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 04:19 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Just glad al that money trickled down into MAC pockets and not AAC.

Where is P.J. when we need him? 03-lmfao

That said, without Terrell, Davis, Moton, Spillane, etc. WMU isn't even my pre-season MAC West favorite.

Spillane is a loss for sure. Our OL, backs and TE/FB hybrids are LEGIT, and have Jake Moreland as a coach now; so not worried about our offense.
03-24-2017 12:39 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear Hiller4Hyz09,
You left out a very important part of your offense, the quarterback. Western basically has no experienced quarterback to call on. Now, whomever gets the job may surprise everyone, but the MAC is a quarterback league. If you have a good one with experience, one can generally say the offense should be okay.
03-24-2017 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

I Root For: WMU
(03-24-2017 04:42 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Hiller4Hyz09,
You left out a very important part of your offense, the quarterback. Western basically has no experienced quarterback to call on. Now, whomever gets the job may surprise everyone, but the MAC is a quarterback league. If you have a good one with experience, one can generally say the offense should be okay.

Quarterbacks need to get out of the way when you have a high-functioning running attack.

If Toledo wouldn't have attempted a pass against WMU the past 2 years, they would have rolled to easy victories over us.
03-25-2017 01:32 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
A very nice chunk of change for WMU & the 11 other conference members. Just Hilarious how the AAC puffs themselves up as the best GO5 conference and yet the "lowly" MAC has sent 2 teams in the last 5 years to the one slot the G5 programs get to earn a big pay day. AAC may have a deeper league but Temple did little in the MAC and in short order has won an AAC football title. Good for the Owls and says alot about the MAC
03-28-2017 12:17 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(03-28-2017 12:17 PM)Policiious Wrote:  A very nice chunk of change for WMU & the 11 other conference members. Just Hilarious how the AAC puffs themselves up as the best GO5 conference and yet the "lowly" MAC has sent 2 teams in the last 5 years to the one slot the G5 programs get to earn a big pay day. AAC may have a deeper league but Temple did little in the MAC and in short order has won an AAC football title. Good for the Owls and says alot about the MAC

I don't think anyone thinks the top of the MAC is bad, but the bottom is really, really bad.
03-29-2017 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.