UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Plans for New Residence Hall
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
UAB Plans for New Residence Hall
http://www.uab.edu/studentmedia/kaleidos...dent-forum

According to the article, plans for a new residence hall (a duplicate of the most recent one) will be built adjacent to the new residence hall on the site of the current Smolian House. That should mean 750 more beds.

On athletics:

"A new IT research building and new athletics facilities, including a track field, are also in the process of being planned."

I knew about the track, but "facilities" implies there's other projects in the works. Anyone have any insight? Hopefully this is the basketball practice facility.
03-22-2017 08:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB Plans for New Residence Hall
(03-22-2017 08:37 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  http://www.uab.edu/studentmedia/kaleidos...dent-forum

According to the article, plans for a new residence hall (a duplicate of the most recent one) will be built adjacent to the new residence hall on the site of the current Smolian House. That should mean 750 more beds.

On athletics:

"A new IT research building and new athletics facilities, including a track field, are also in the process of being planned."

I knew about the track, but "facilities" implies there's other projects in the works. Anyone have any insight? Hopefully this is the basketball practice facility.

Almost certain it's a move on the soccer stadium, combined baseball/softball office, and a renovation to existing facilities inside Bartow/Bell once football moves to its new space.
03-22-2017 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABslant Offline

You're going to see a big push to get any major capital projects financed before the new federal budget hits research... some Republicans are still working to save NIH funding, but you have to plan for those one-time expenditures now while the extra money is still there.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 09:01 AM by UABslant.)
03-22-2017 09:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(03-22-2017 08:56 AM)UABslant Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 08:37 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  http://www.uab.edu/studentmedia/kaleidos...dent-forum

On athletics:

Almost certain it's a move on the soccer stadium, combined baseball/softball office, and a renovation to existing facilities inside Bartow/Bell once football moves to its new space.

That makes sense. How much space does football have inside Bartow? I wonder if it would be possible to expand the Green & Gold room. Other olympic sports could probably use locker room upgrades in there.
03-22-2017 09:25 AM
UABslant Offline

A lot of space will be freed up when baseball, softball, men's and women's soccer, and T&F can move out of Bartow and into their own offices and locker rooms.
03-22-2017 11:03 AM
BirminghamJoseph2770 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Birmingham
parking is always good, build parking upwards where existing parking currently resides, and a cool transit system like a park and ride like other green cities currently operate, a city or university transit system with covered stops with in all walking distance of the hot spots. new age gen would like and attract to.
03-22-2017 11:47 AM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2017 11:47 AM)BirminghamJoseph2770 Wrote:  university transit system with covered stops with in all walking distance of the hot spots.

This already exists
03-22-2017 12:32 PM
BirminghamJoseph2770 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Birmingham
(03-22-2017 12:32 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 11:47 AM)BirminghamJoseph2770 Wrote:  university transit system with covered stops with in all walking distance of the hot spots.

This already exists

Thanks, Have not been to Birmingham in many years, hey what was the oyster house off across down from the chevron that street is what I'm trying to remember it was in the area where that 2nd bar the Daves owners had. Just wondering if it was still their looks so much different these days in all.
03-22-2017 12:41 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
UAB has just begun to build athletic facilities that have been long overdue. The accrued list is therefore very long and varied (many don't realize how many tasks for varied sports were asked of the Bartow Arena). After we get the basic facilities for existing sports built, we can become more choosey about what to build next.

UABslant is spot on in that UAB must build its basic facilities ASAP before money becomes more scarce. Anyone who believes that the football money is untouchable by the UAB administration hasn't been watching the state SC allow the sidetracking of funding to the advantage of the power brokers.
03-22-2017 12:44 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
How concerned are we that a strong wind might blow down the new residence hall?
03-22-2017 07:50 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

& has Troy built a residence hall that has more square feet than ours?
03-22-2017 08:06 PM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

I heard that South Alabama's residence hall was prettier
03-22-2017 08:15 PM
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

We need nice bball facilities.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 09:26 PM by Blazer88.)
03-22-2017 09:26 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Wonder what the next residence hall will be named - New Freshman Residence Hall 2?
03-22-2017 10:25 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(03-22-2017 10:25 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  Wonder what the next residence hall will be named - New Freshman Residence Hall 2?

I would like to have it named for Dr Virginia Hamilton

Just don't name it like Bama almost did when they came close to naming a women's residence hall after Dr Tin Hoor. They named an academic building for her instead.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 06:07 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
03-22-2017 10:58 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(03-22-2017 07:50 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  How concerned are we that a strong wind might blow down the new residence hall?

First thought that popped into my mind. I wonder if the architects and builders are aware of the weather in the area.
03-23-2017 12:29 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2017 10:58 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 10:25 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  Wonder what the next residence hall will be named - New Freshman Residence Hall 2?

Hope she has some money, because the reason all these recent buildings at UAB have crummy names is that the UA Board of Trustees requires some ungodly percentage of the building's cost be donated in order for it to be named for someone. They don't name them for administrators or professors out of the goodness of their hearts anymore.
03-23-2017 04:47 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(03-23-2017 04:47 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  

Hope she has some money, because the reason all these recent buildings at UAB have crummy names is that the UA Board of Trustees requires some ungodly percentage of the building's cost be donated in order for it to be named for someone. They don't name them for administrators or professors out of the goodness of their hearts anymore.

They can still name it something like Blazer Hall, Heritage Hall, etc instead of "New Freshman Residence Hall."
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 05:06 PM by hooverblazer.)
03-23-2017 04:58 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(03-23-2017 04:58 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  

They can still name it something like Blazer Hall, Heritage Hall, etc instead of "New Freshman Residence Hall."

In that case it might be named for Alabama's last billionaire Mrs Harbert, or her late husband or her son. John Harbert was said to have endowed a chair at UAB for the Governor to encourage George Wallace to order completion of I-459 between US 31 and US 280 years ahead of the rest to protect his investment in Riverchase. It is the part of I-459 named for him today.
03-23-2017 06:28 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-23-2017 04:58 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  

When I was a student, buildings were named Building 1, Building 2, Building 3 etc.
03-23-2017 09:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.