Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gonzaga Possible Future Looking For A New Conference
DavidSt Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
Gonzaga Possible Future Looking For A New Conference
http://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/51608...oing-to-do

Possible Big East membership. Could BYU and Saint Mary's going with them? WCC would be down by three if this happens. Grand Canyon, Cal. Baptist and Azusa Baptist could be possible targets. Seattle U. and maybe a Northwest Nazarene could be part of the Northern brands to go with Portland.
03-20-2017 12:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

_C2_ Online
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
RE: Gonzaga Possible Future Looking For A New Conference
I'd imagine BYU would try to go back to the MWC and if that bridge is burned, they'd finally give in and head to the AAC. St. Mary's is not nearly as distinguished and prosperous as Gonzaga. A travel partner is not nearly as important as it used to be, especially if the Big East would be worried about being stuck with deadweight in the future, a La DePaul or Seton Hall in general. If the Big East went to 12 and split into divisions, the Zags would rarely have to travel past Lake Michigan.
03-20-2017 03:14 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
All American

I Root For: the little guy
Few and the players can say this. There's probably a reason Roth isn't quoted, and maybe it's because Gonzaga's other programs fit right in with the WCC.
03-20-2017 04:23 AM
MWC Tex Online
Heisman

I Root For: MW
The MW could be an option, but so far, we are sticking with needing football to join. However, being that Gonzaga isn't thinking of adding football may not a big issue for us. BYU may throw a stink about it but their football is what the MW wants.
03-20-2017 07:21 AM

orangefan Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-20-2017 07:21 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The MW could be an option, but so far, we are sticking with needing football to join. However, being that Gonzaga isn't thinking of adding football may not a big issue for us. BYU may throw a stink about it but their football is what the MW wants.

The MWC would be a great fit for Gonzaga, if they were interested. It's an almost identical play for the MWC as the Wichita St. to the AAC move. The MWC has great fan support for basketball, but has slipped to a one bid league the past two years and could really benefit from the juice that Gonzaga would bring.
03-20-2017 07:45 AM
TheBasketBallOpinion Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
Gonzaga would be a great fit for the Big East if it was located in Detroit 07-coffee3
03-20-2017 08:05 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Gonzaga is an institutional, athletic and academic fit for the Big East. Unfortunately, you can't do anything about location, otherwise they would have already been included when the conference reorganized. I would believe some type of scheduling arrangement would be more beneficial than full-conference membership, that way you are not hurting your Olympic sports with national (especially East Coast) travel.

You could potentially do a 2/2 scheduling arrangement each year with Gonzaga/St. Mary's/BYU and several Big East members per year. You could send a team West, for example Xavier, for two away games at two of Gonzaga/St. Mary's/BYU, then have those schools return East for two away games at Big East schools. You can arrange it where each BE program gets two road games and two home games over the course of five seasons, with one two-game road trip within the five year cycle and two home games during that span.
03-20-2017 08:12 AM

RutgersGuy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
If Gonzaga was in Detroit, Cleveland or Pittsburgh it would have been a done deal already. I don't see the Big East needing to make this move. Gonzaga needs to make the move, but I don't see the BE making this move until they have to. If they want to upgrade their conference they have 3-4 good options much closer to the foot print. (VCU, Wichita and Dayton)

As for BYU, I don't see the Catholic schools being all that excited to invite the mormons to the party.
03-20-2017 08:12 AM
DavidSt Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
MWC actually does have more schools that are on the edge to make the 68 team field. Adding Saint Mary's, BYU, Gonzaga and UTEP could make the conference with more than 1 bid league. It would boast the conference's RPI up if they did. There is something that I posted about how can conferences boast their league including making tv contracts look better. Get the hot teams. I could see PAC 12 could go hybrid if they wanted to to get schools that do not have football, but are equal to them an academics.
03-20-2017 08:46 AM
EvilVodka Offline
kwisatz haderach

I Root For: The Mars Volta
Big XII....

oh wait...
03-20-2017 08:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.