Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What now for Syracuse?
Bookmark and Share
ken d Offline
Heisman

I Root For: college sports
What now for Syracuse?
Coach-in-waiting has stopped waiting. Boeheim is scheduled to retire after next season. Does that still happen?
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 01:51 PM by ken d.)
03-19-2017 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Hallcity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Duke
RE: What now for Syracuse?
Maybe Syracuse won't find someone as good as Hopkins. Maybe they find someone better. Maybe we'll never know if they would have been better with Hopkins.

I think that while coaches are important, factors associated with the school are at least as important. How important is basketball to the university community? How important is college basketball in the surrounding general community? Those university and community factors don't change when there's a coaching change.

But, of course, see NCSU for an example of how bad decisions in replacing coaches can really screw up what should be a prime college basketball program.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 03:00 PM by Hallcity.)
03-19-2017 03:00 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
This is great.

I don't think that Jimmy B will retire when he said that he would, and I am all for Hop getting some HC experience at a major program before leading the Orange.

We might even be able to get Murph back on the staff, as his stint at EMU looks to be ending soon.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 04:06 PM by nzmorange.)
03-19-2017 04:05 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
What now for Syracuse?
I don't think Syracuse will have much of a problem finding another quality coach once JB retires. The "coach in waiting" thing hardly ever seems to pan out.
03-19-2017 04:23 PM

ken d Offline
Heisman

I Root For: college sports
It seemed at the time Boeheim announced his "retirement" that it wasn't his idea. If the Syracuse administration was trying to nudge him out the door, would they now relent just because Hopkins has moved on? Are they even powerful enough to force him out, or has he achieved Paterno-like status?
03-19-2017 04:41 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
What now for Syracuse?
(03-19-2017 04:41 PM)ken d Wrote:  It seemed at the time Boeheim announced his "retirement" that it wasn't his idea. If the Syracuse administration was trying to nudge him out the door, would they now relent just because Hopkins has moved on? Are they even powerful enough to force him out, or has he achieved Paterno-like status?

Unlike Crum, JB is still maintaining a good level of success. I think they should stick with him awhile longer, if he wants to stay.
03-19-2017 04:48 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(03-19-2017 04:23 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  I don't think Syracuse will have much of a problem finding another quality coach once JB retires. The "coach in waiting" thing hardly ever seems to pan out.

True. I always said that I would rather he got some time in as a head coach elsewhere before he got the keys to the Dome. Now it seems to be happening, even though he said he has no plans to return to SU. But of course I would expect him to say that no matter what, if he wanted to land another job elsewhere. The timing is weird since he would only have had to wait one more season. That leads me to believe that JB aint going nowhere after next season, and I expect to hear an announcement about him continuing coaching for a little longer.
03-19-2017 04:54 PM

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Since it appears he's going to get one more year in Clemson Brad Brownell should be available.
03-19-2017 05:46 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(03-19-2017 05:46 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Since it appears he's going to get one more year in Clemson Brad Brownell should be available.

LOL, No Thanks.

But I was thinking John Beilien from Michigan. He is a native of the Buffalo area and he has spent much of his career coaching in Upstate NY. And he always wanted to coach at Syracuse. SU would have a good shot at him if Hopkins is a bust or a success but wont come back home.
03-19-2017 05:59 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(03-19-2017 04:41 PM)ken d Wrote:  It seemed at the time Boeheim announced his "retirement" that it wasn't his idea. If the Syracuse administration was trying to nudge him out the door, would they now relent just because Hopkins has moved on? Are they even powerful enough to force him out, or has he achieved Paterno-like status?

No. He might have achieved Bobby Bowden-like status, but nobody is confusing him w/ any deities. The above said, his job is in no real danger. He's a year removed from a FF appearance. It's not like he isn't putting up numbers.

And yeah, the last couple of years weren't as good as the couple of years before that, but the drop off is due to the Bernie Fine witch hunt and subsequent NCAA sanctions.
03-19-2017 06:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.