Just kidding but you never know. COGS
03-18-2017 09:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
RE: Wilson & Porter sign with Iowa State
(03-18-2017 09:33 PM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  Just kidding but you never know. COGS

Yeah these two are just not ready for any type of organized team sport, I just could never see this happening.
03-18-2017 09:50 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
I'm sure Wilson will land somewhere. He has potential that be very good. Porter has to mature but hopefully he can turn things around. I wouldn't be surprised if both end up on D1 rosters
03-19-2017 02:18 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-19-2017 02:18 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  I'm sure Wilson will land somewhere. He has potential that be very good. Porter has to mature but hopefully he can turn things around. I wouldn't be surprised if both end up on D1 rosters

I guess with Wilson it's possible. Both are just soooo far away mentally from being mature enough to participate in a team sport
03-19-2017 02:20 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
Remember to go or play somewhere you must have the Grades!
03-19-2017 03:55 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Porter is a good student so grades won't be a problem for him.
03-19-2017 05:44 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

With Porter , and Wilson really, its just about not being so selfish. Realize you do have teammates, you are playing for a team and not just yourself, until they realize that, it will be an uphill climb for them both. Id have more confidence in Wilson maturing than Porter.
03-19-2017 05:52 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(03-19-2017 05:52 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  With Porter , and Wilson really, its just about not being so selfish. Realize you do have teammates, you are playing for a team and not just yourself, until they realize that, it will be an uphill climb for them both. Id have more confidence in Wilson maturing than Porter.

Agree with you on Wilson over Porter. Actually, I am stunned that Porter lasted longer than Wilson. In the limited stuff I saw, it's somewhat amazing Porter got so many chances from Monty and crew.
03-19-2017 06:06 PM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Did their high school coaches let them get away with the bad behavior? Maybe Monty needs to ask more questions with the people in charge.
03-19-2017 07:50 PM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
Go watch Geno Auerremio's (sp) UConn WBB coach, comments on Sean Frazier's twitter account and see if Porter or Wilson would ever play for him!
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 09:48 PM by NIUSAE.)
03-19-2017 09:46 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-19-2017 09:46 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  Go watch Geno Auerremio's (sp) UConn WBB coach, comments on Sean Frazier's twitter account and see if Porter or Wilson would ever play for him!

Wow that was awesome!! That was the 2016-17 basketball season right there in that clip!! I know Frazier said it was for his daughter but I'm guessing it was extra relevant for him because we had two of those players. What a great great clip, wow
03-19-2017 10:52 PM
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

(03-19-2017 09:46 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  Go watch Geno Auerremio's (sp) UConn WBB coach, comments on Sean Frazier's twitter account and see if Porter or Wilson would ever play for him!
Link please.
03-19-2017 11:18 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
And this has WHAT to do with NIU? Geno does not recruit--he selects. So obviously he can be ultra picky. A MAC coach must take some risks and hope he can mature the immature.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 12:01 AM by cagy cager.)
03-20-2017 12:00 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-20-2017 12:00 AM)cagy cager Wrote:  And this has WHAT to do with NIU? Geno does not recruit--he selects. So obviously he can be ultra picky. A MAC coach must take some risks and hope he can mature the immature.

It just couldn't be more relevant to NIU. NIU basketball failed because we had two players exactly as Geno described. Selfish players who have no desire or ability to play in a team framework. Even at lower recruiting level of NIU, attitude and work ethic matter
03-20-2017 12:05 AM
62423dp Offline
Special Teams

Love that clip. So very true. Geno selects and so do our coaches. They don't have to take a flyer on a kid with bad body langague or poor behavior but sometimes they end up with one on their hands. Happens at all levels. Geno and company are maybe just better at recognizing it and having the depth to overcome it.
03-20-2017 07:40 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2017 11:18 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  
Link please.

http://footballscoop.com/news/geno-aurie...r-me-ever/

Describes Porter to a t.
03-20-2017 02:56 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I sure wish I knew the story while Bowie did not stick around, was it simply a numbers game with scholarships?

The body language on this year's NIU team all around is one I hope I never see repeated. For awhile now I have thought it was alarming how little joy each player shows for another player when good things are done. That really stood out to me beginning last season but especially this season. It really does only take one or two bad seeds to create a toxic atmosphere. I think NIU could have survived one problem, but not two of these types of players. Just looking back, it really strings how big of an organizational failure this was all around. From the initial recruiting of Wilson and Porter, and then to the failure of coaching as a whole to see the team deteriorate through the season, and the overall failure put on the players. There was MAC championship talent on this team, I am still convinced of that. It took a colossal breakdown of coaches/players to end up where they did. That is the tough thing to me I take out of this year.
03-20-2017 03:31 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(03-20-2017 03:31 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  I sure wish I knew the story while Bowie did not stick around, was it simply a numbers game with scholarships?

The body language on this year's NIU team all around is one I hope I never see repeated. For awhile now I have thought it was alarming how little joy each player shows for another player when good things are done. That really stood out to me beginning last season but especially this season. It really does only take one or two bad seeds to create a toxic atmosphere. I think NIU could have survived one problem, but not two of these types of players. Just looking back, it really strings how big of an organizational failure this was all around. From the initial recruiting of Wilson and Porter, and then to the failure of coaching as a whole to see the team deteriorate through the season, and the overall failure put on the players. There was MAC championship talent on this team, I am still convinced of that. It took a colossal breakdown of coaches/players to end up where they did. That is the tough thing to me I take out of this year.

I don't know what you were watching because I don't think that was the case at all. How many games did you watch in person? Attend practice? They were a disappointment but I think a lack of a team leader was to blame. Marin had tons of energy but wasn't viewed as a leader. Baker last year made a hige difference. The players did have good relationships in my opinion. Also, I feel you've contradicted yourself again. You can't play both sides of the recruiting fence. It's really hard to predict how a 16 year old will develop a couple years down the road.
03-20-2017 09:06 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-20-2017 09:06 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 03:31 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  I sure wish I knew the story while Bowie did not stick around, was it simply a numbers game with scholarships?

I don't know what you were watching because I don't think that was the case at all. How many games did you watch in person? Attend practice? They were a disappointment but I think a lack of a team leader was to blame. Marin had tons of energy but wasn't viewed as a leader. Baker last year made a hige difference. The players did have good relationships in my opinion. Also, I feel you've contradicted yourself again. You can't play both sides of the recruiting fence. It's really hard to predict how a 16 year old will develop a couple years down the road.

I am not sure where you are coming from. The fact you had two of your key projected contributors not contribute hardly anything at all was a huge part of this season's mess. It was pretty obvious the non-existent guard play and lack of depth at guard was a huge detriment. I think NIU could have survived if one of these players disappointed with immaturity, but to have two of them basically give up on the team was more than most teams could handle. I don't blame Coach Montgomery for not being able to control guys like Porter and Wilson in-season, I have made that clear. I don't think a coach in America could have made good players out of them because they were inherently selfish. You do have to put some blame on Coach Montgomery for recruiting them, its only fair to do that. Character is one of the things every college basketball coach has to evaluate.

I do agree with you about the leadership thing. That probably augmented the disaster of Wilson and Porter, because there were no true leaders out there. Basically you backed up everything I said in my statement, this season was a total breakdown of players and coaches, you cant just blame one aspect of it or one or two players, it was a breakdown of the whole program. Plenty of blame to go around between Porter/Wilson debacle, coaching, and lack of upper classmen leadership. Perhaps the one and only bright spot was German.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 09:20 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
03-20-2017 09:18 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

I was coming from your comment that no one enjoyed playing etc. That wasn't the case at all. I should have been more clear. I am not giving Monte a complete pass and think the team played best when Porter was suspended during the Florida trip. Wilson played and seemed better that trip. When Porter returned, Wilson seemed to change back. I thought Porter was going to turn it around and be a good teammate but that changed. I wonder how things would have gone if Porter was not allowed back. As far as depth, they were real deep at guard coming into the season. Unfortunately, 2 guards were kicked off the team. You can only have so many players and I don't blame depth. Development is probably what you should blame and that is everyone's fault. Unfortunately coaches can't be with players 24/7. Another question I have is that you said guard play was nonexistent but praise German, a guard, as the lone bright spot. He showed his lack of experience at times but showed great play from a guard in glimpses. Hopefully he develops. Highsmith will be only senior next year I think although he has more eligibility so I'm hoping he steps up to be a leader. If he returns that is.
03-20-2017 11:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.