Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Antenna T.V. question
MJG Online
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Antenna T.V. question
American Sports Network I watch a little bit of it since I cut the cord.
It seems like every major network has three channels like ABC,Local weather and some odd channel.
The other networks have bounce, comet ,grit and QVC among others.
These sub-channels have to be very cheap to broadcast on.
ASN is on these type channels why not make it regional.
If my local ABC station can have their own weather channel why not local athletic conferences.
Certain times of day run QVC during typical game times run the sports programming.
A group of conferences could string together a network available over the air.

ASN seemed like it could be better with less hockey here in South Carolina and more regional college games.
03-17-2017 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

bullet Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Antenna T.V. question
(03-17-2017 07:54 PM)MJG Wrote:  American Sports Network I watch a little bit of it since I cut the cord.
It seems like every major network has three channels like ABC,Local weather and some odd channel.
The other networks have bounce, comet ,grit and QVC among others.
These sub-channels have to be very cheap to broadcast on.
ASN is on these type channels why not make it regional.
If my local ABC station can have their own weather channel why not local athletic conferences.
Certain times of day run QVC during typical game times run the sports programming.
A group of conferences could string together a network available over the air.

ASN seemed like it could be better with less hockey here in South Carolina and more regional college games.

Sports are expensive! But yes they could. However, those sub-channels usually aren't carried on cable so there is a limited audience.

In Atlanta some of the major stations have no sub-channels. Some have 2 or 3. Some of the non-network channels have as many as 20. I can get 66 channels with an indoor antenna from 17 different stations. Counting low power, there are 107 channels in the area from 28 stations, so with an external antenna I could be in triple digits without cable.
03-17-2017 08:12 PM
CenterSquarEd Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Siena
It's not confirmed yet, but there was another thread recently that ASN may be shut down soon. It's actually a bit on the expensive side to run, it requires a live master control operator at each affiliate to switch the local commercials.
03-17-2017 10:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
In Little Rock we have some stations carrying up to four channels (actually have one religious station that does three video and four audio channels) and a couple that don't do any sub channels.

Our Sinclair station was hit or miss about carrying ASN content, some weeks they would carry, some weeks they didn't and when they did some of the game selections were... weird. One weekend I switched to antenna because I knew UNT was on ASN and the Little Rock station was carrying a Division III game out of Iowa. Another weekend I see a tweet about a CUSA game on ASN being a barnburner, switch to antenna and they are carrying a game involving Wagner.

AState got picked up for a game, I check the program guide from the TV Guide app and it doesn't show the game. Email the station and they said yes it will be on but they had elected to stop carrying ASN and had reported the schedule then when ASN added the game they made arrangements to carry it but the guides hadn't all updated.

All that said.

All over the country there are guys contracting with local cable providers to show local sports as well as colleges streaming their own content, have to figure at some point people take a flyer on broadcasting games this way locally.
03-18-2017 01:25 AM

Hilltop75 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
ASN is out of business, College Insiders that streams on the internet is picking up their content
03-18-2017 07:31 AM
Hilltop75 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
(03-18-2017 07:31 AM)Hilltop75 Wrote:  ASN is out of the sports business, College Insiders that streams on the internet is picking up some of their content
03-18-2017 07:32 AM
MJG Online
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
First I appreciate no internet douche bags pointing out I forgot to ask a question.

My thinking could something like ASN work better and help the smaller conferences.
I was thinking a sort of network using sub-channels for the two-thirds of the conferences that don't make any T.V. money.

Here is an example have the Big South, SoCon, SBC and CUSA all buy a T.V. truck.
WKU plays at ODU Put that game on in that region and picks it up digitally.
If The SEC game is Ole Miss vs Vanderbilt then some people might switch their input and watch the CUSA game. The schools involved fans would and some conference member fans.
The Big South or SoCon could do the same and if advertized might eventually get a decent audience.
The basketball season have two games a night with the conferences working together.
So each conference has designated time slots or at least designated nights.
Treat it as a big infomercial like these channels show anyway .

The games could be picked up by any current digital network the conference already have.
The Sub-channel could go back to being an old movie/weather channel when no games are playing live.Hockey and baseball could be added depending on the region.
03-18-2017 07:52 AM

JHS55 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
Antenna T.V. question
Who are you calling a douche bag ?
03-18-2017 08:34 AM
MplsBison Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
It's hardly free to pump an OTA signal out of a TV tower. Those things use a lot of power.

And then, you're not getting any subscriber fees.

You have to convince advertisers that your content is going to get X viewers, and thus they should pay Y for the ad slots.

Yes, it could be done. But I think that it isn't already being done widely is your answer: it's just not that lucrative.
03-18-2017 11:53 AM
MWC Tex Offline
All American

I Root For: MW
(03-18-2017 11:53 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  It's hardly free to pump an OTA signal out of a TV tower. Those things use a lot of power.

And then, you're not getting any subscriber fees.

You have to convince advertisers that your content is going to get X viewers, and thus they should pay Y for the ad slots.

Yes, it could be done. But I think that it isn't already being done widely is your answer: it's just not that lucrative.

Except that the main channel is getting sub fees and also that there isn't any additional power needed for the sub-channels. The same signal is either not divided or divided up into several sub-channels from the same 19 Mbit/s signal.

Usually, the sub-channel networks pay the affiliate station to be on the sub-channel but its up to the networks like LAFF, Grit, MeTV...etc to sell the ads on their network.
03-18-2017 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.