Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Recruit the best team not players
Bookmark and Share
michaelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: The U of M
Recruit the best team not players
Being here in Middle Tennessee and watching MTSU knock off two Big 10 teams in back to back years with Reggie Upshaw 3 star , Giddy Potts NR recruit, and add JaCorey Williams 3 star cast off from Arkansas, what Tubby is recruiting will be sufficient to advance in the tournament adding the right chemistry of players, I believe this will happen next year, I BELIEVE in Memphis ball!!!
03-16-2017 09:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
RE: Recruit the best team not players
I agree overall.

He's almost a 40 year college coaching vet and almost at Memphis for a full year. He should have a good feel for what is needed.

My belief is that a lot of folks don't want excuses or drama anymore. Next season needs a little blue collar ethic and depth and hustle.

Clean house, get your players, have them in the S&C program early (a self-admitted mistake by Tubby), etc.

The JC and transfer markets are bustling right now.
03-16-2017 10:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
There was a Coach named Red Aurabach who had the same attitude with players and he did o.k., does the NBA count
03-19-2017 05:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I'm perfectly fine with this approach. Especially at non-P5 schools.

Thing is, you gotta start showing improvement next year. Honeymoon is over. We saw it earlier this year - South Carolina, Iowa, Houston. Then it all fell apart and left us with this bad taste we have now.
03-19-2017 09:07 PM
450bench Offline

(03-16-2017 10:57 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  I agree overall.

He's almost a 40 year college coaching vet and almost at Memphis for a full year. He should have a good feel for what is needed.

My belief is that a lot of folks don't want excuses or drama anymore. Next season needs a little blue collar ethic and depth and hustle.

Clean house, get your players, have them in the S&C program early (a self-admitted mistake by Tubby), etc.

The JC and transfer markets are bustling right now.

Agreed
03-19-2017 11:16 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

There are several coaches who recruit THEIR type of player.

Huggy Bear used to always have stocky strong guys now it seems Martin at South Carolina now gets that type of player.

Maybe Tubby needs his type of player
03-19-2017 11:25 PM
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

(03-19-2017 11:25 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  There are several coaches who recruit THEIR type of player.

Huggy Bear used to always have stocky strong guys now it seems Martin at South Carolina now gets that type of player.

YES
03-19-2017 11:34 PM
airric2255 Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2017 11:34 PM)Nobody4Prez Wrote:  
(03-19-2017 11:25 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  There are several coaches who recruit THEIR type of player.

YES

Overall agree. Now that the realization has come to fruition, can that be put together for a decent product on the floor NEXT season? I am skeptical. We may not see the fruits of the labor until the 2018-19 season. I hope Tubby has the wherewithal and drive to endure as he only got a taste from the fan base this season.
03-20-2017 08:56 AM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
I'm trying to be positive about it all, but you can't tell me that they can't get ONE guy to commit right now.

With three open scholarships.

And just settle the damn Lawson stuff now.

Tubby needs to understand that HIS way will not work at Memphis - not 100%. He will need to compromise a bit and folks are tired of the drama and excuses.

And don't want to be waiting in August to hear is someone is eligible or not.

They need to pick up the pace.
03-20-2017 09:25 AM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-20-2017 09:25 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  I'm trying to be positive about it all, but you can't tell me that they can't get ONE guy to commit right now.

Tubby needs to understand that HIS way will not work at Memphis - not 100%. He will need to compromise a bit and folks are tired of the drama and excuses.

I wonder if Tubby is flexible...

Maybe he only knows one style.
03-20-2017 12:53 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-20-2017 09:25 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  I'm trying to be positive about it all, but you can't tell me that they can't get ONE guy to commit right now.

Agree on the juco recruits. Strange that we've had nothing. And reports are - they're working. Say what you want about these guys, but they've recruited for years. Should know how to get it done, when trying. And they're trying. So what does this say about our program? Concerning.

As for the Lawson stuff, who says it's not settled? Doubt you're going to get any public statements that say, "I put Keelon and momma in their place." For what we know, Keelon and Tubby have had their discussion, he's staying in his role. KJ is staying, Dedric is leaving.

Don't understand why Tubby's way won't work at Memphis. Some people may not like and may whine about it. That doesn't mean it won't work. We'll see.
03-20-2017 05:06 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-20-2017 05:06 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Agree on the juco recruits. Strange that we've had nothing. And reports are - they're working. Say what you want about these guys, but they've recruited for years. Should know how to get it done, when trying. And they're trying. So what does this say about our program? Concerning.

As for the Lawson stuff, who says it's not settled? Doubt you're going to get any public statements that say, "I put Keelon and momma in their place." For what we know, Keelon and Tubby have had their discussion, he's staying in his role. KJ is staying, Dedric is leaving.

Don't understand why Tubby's way won't work at Memphis. Some people may not like and may whine about it. That doesn't mean it won't work. We'll see.

It says our program is better than all the other programs he was at outside of UK...So far.

If he is pulling in top 60 classes that is better than most of his classes at Tulsa, Minny and TTech.
03-21-2017 10:44 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2017 10:44 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

It says our program is better than all the other programs he was at outside of UK...So far.

If he is pulling in top 60 classes that is better than most of his classes at Tulsa, Minny and TTech.

Throw away his first classes at TT and Minny; unless you're a blueblood, that first class is going to be abnormal. His average class ranking the remaining 7 years was #52. Pastner averaged #28 here (excluding his first class). Tubby should be closer to 28 than 52 here.

But here we are focused on the ratings again. Maybe we're in transition and it's the process that's more important.
03-21-2017 03:27 PM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(03-21-2017 03:27 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Throw away his first classes at TT and Minny; unless you're a blueblood, that first class is going to be abnormal. His average class ranking the remaining 7 years was #52. Pastner averaged #28 here (excluding his first class). Tubby should be closer to 28 than 52 here.

But here we are focused on the ratings again. Maybe we're in transition and it's the process that's more important.

That is disingenuous when one of the classes ranked #67 was only two players: A 5*, top 10 player, and a JUCO All-American.

I think every Memphis fan would trade the #52 class this year (three dudes committed) now for that #67 class.

Pastner had three top 10 classes and in two of the other classes had a 5*/Juco AA and a 4* McDAA.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2017 03:59 PM by salukiblue.)
03-21-2017 03:56 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

We've had pretty good ratings since Cal left for the most part. We've won 2 NCAA games since 2009. I don't care if we win with 5 star players or 2..

Hopefully Tubby is working hard now. We've got lots of slots to fill and we need some toughness on this team. Even if Dedric stays (which I doubt) we basically need players in every position.. I have very little expectations for next year, but if he doesn't find some quality players, we won't even meet low expectations.
03-21-2017 03:56 PM
tigernole79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kool-Aid
(03-21-2017 03:56 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

That is disingenuous when one of the classes ranked #67 was only two players: A 5*, top 10 player, and a JUCO All-American.

I think every Memphis fan would trade the #52 class this year (three dudes committed) now for that #67 class.

Pastner had three top 10 classes and in two of the other classes had a 5*/Juco AA and a 4* McDAA.

What difference does rankings make if those players either don't play or don't stay?!

Give me a 100 ranked class of solid players that will play within a system and work hard to improve every season and build off of that.

If your focus is on star ratings, you don't understand what is happening at Memphis... which has very little to do with the Coach.
03-21-2017 06:48 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(03-21-2017 06:48 PM)tigernole79 Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 05:06 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Agree on the juco recruits. Strange that we've had nothing. And reports are - they're working. Say what you want about these guys, but they've recruited for years. Should know how to get it done, when trying. And they're trying. So what does this say about our program? Concerning.

What difference does rankings make if those players either don't play or don't stay?!

Give me a 100 ranked class of solid players that will play within a system and work hard to improve every season and build off of that.

If your focus is on star ratings, you don't understand what is happening at Memphis... which has very little to do with the Coach.

Therin lies your problem.
03-21-2017 07:00 PM
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Again - as long as Tubby wins, I don't care who he recruits, what style he plays, how much time he spends on the golf course, etc...

But if Memphis continues to struggle and we have a bunch of local preps tearing it up in the Big 12, ACC and SEC ... it won't be pretty for Tubby!
03-22-2017 10:25 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

??

You disagree with the average ranking scores? Tell me what average you come up with. You're one of the ones focusing on the rankings to begin with, and I'm just using them.

Anyway, not sure why you focused on that part of the discussion. Point was, Tubby did slightly better than 60's there, so he should be able to get closer to what Pastner got here.
03-22-2017 04:56 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2017 10:25 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Again - as long as Tubby wins, I don't care who he recruits, what style he plays, how much time he spends on the golf course, etc...

But if Memphis continues to struggle and we have a bunch of local preps tearing it up in the Big 12, ACC and SEC ... it won't be pretty for Tubby!

Exactly
03-22-2017 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.