Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SOT: UC Licensing
Bookmark and Share
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
SOT: UC Licensing
This has popped up before so it's worth discussing, I think...

This site came across my FB feed:
https://rockemapparel.com/pages/college

OK, so it's for stupid socks. But predictably, UC isn't one of the options. I used to think that was because UC got over-looked. But over the years I have discovered that it's really UC and their own licensing that prevents UC products like this from being available. We saw this when the "Brian Kelly" t-shirts and towels were being printed up and the University threatened legal action against the unlicensed use of the "C-Paw." And I get that...to a degree at least. The University HAS to protect their brand and trademark.

But what chafes me, as a fan, is that the University ALWAYS seems to cut itself off at the knees. I might actually buy some of this stuff...and thereby increase exposure to the UC Brand...if it were available. And, like I said, it's NOT this one...or even an isolated...occurrence. More often than not, when I see products like this, UC isn't available. tOSU is almost always available. Often UK is (not the socks though). But hardly ever is UC.

It'd be nice if we, as fans, could actually enjoy being fans!

03-16-2017 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: SOT: UC Licensing
(03-16-2017 11:26 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  This has popped up before so it's worth discussing, I think...

OK, so it's for stupid socks. But predictably, UC isn't one of the options. I used to think that was because UC got over-looked. But over the years I have discovered that it's really UC and their own licensing that prevents UC products like this from being available. We saw this when the "Brian Kelly" t-shirts and towels were being printed up and the University threatened legal action against the unlicensed use of the "C-Paw." And I get that...to a degree at least. The University HAS to protect their brand and trademark.

But what chafes me, as a fan, is that the University ALWAYS seems to cut itself off at the knees. I might actually buy some of this stuff...and thereby increase exposure to the UC Brand...if it were available. And, like I said, it's NOT this one...or even an isolated...occurrence. More often than not, when I see products like this, UC isn't available. tOSU is almost always available. Often UK is (not the socks though). But hardly ever is UC.

UC is part of the CLC while Ohio State is independent in terms of licensing groups. I do know that it is rather difficult to obtain a license to use UC's trademark.

I think UC could do more to get the trademarks out there but you have also have to make sure that it doesn't run afoul of any other licensing deals UC has. The Under Armour contract probably limits what types of UC clothing can be produce by UC's other licensing partners and where it can be sold.

03-16-2017 11:46 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-16-2017 11:46 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(03-16-2017 11:26 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  This has popped up before so it's worth discussing, I think...

UC is part of the CLC while Ohio State is independent in terms of licensing groups. I do know that it is rather difficult to obtain a license to use UC's trademark.

I think UC could do more to get the trademarks out there but you have also have to make sure that it doesn't run afoul of any other licensing deals UC has. The Under Armour contract probably limits what types of UC clothing can be produce by UC's other licensing partners and where it can be sold.

I do get the legal and contractual issues. But it just seems very difficult, as a fan, to get UC gear. (Whereas it is almost easy to get other gear...)

03-16-2017 12:06 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(03-16-2017 12:06 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

I do get the legal and contractual issues. But it just seems very difficult, as a fan, to get UC gear. (Whereas it is almost easy to get other gear...)

Very difficult? Really? I see stuff for sale all over the place and on-line.

03-16-2017 12:22 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat1010 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-16-2017 12:06 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Some of this is a numbers game outside of UC's control. Due to existing agreements etc the cost for licensing can be inflexible. For the socks it may cost $25k for each school's license. That's a big risk if the UC sock market is 500 pairs but limited risk if the OSU sock market is 25,000+ paris.

OSU sells the most stuff so they will always be included in the selection.

03-16-2017 12:22 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

You basically gripe about everything.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 12:32 PM by Bearcats#1.)
03-16-2017 12:31 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

I always assumed that any manufacturer/retailer can sell official UC gear as long as they are in line with CLC. https://www.clc.com/CLC-Services.aspx

03-16-2017 01:17 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
My feeling: UC does an excellent job overall with licensing. They make a conscious effort to target licensed clothing at various price points. So you'll see some UC sportswear at large discount stores such as Meijer's; better brands in sports specialty stores where UA thrives and finally some premium priced retro lines and pro shop brands that command higher margins. Most all of it is in retail stores in the immediate region or online for everyone these days.

I do agree with BearcatJerry that there are certain products that you'll see for OSU and not UC. OSU is probably top five in licensed merchandise sales nationally; UC is top 50. So there are certain items; novelties, food items, etc. that are in limited distribution by the manufacturers' choice. You may only see those for NFL teams and a small selection of NCAA teams. Their inventory is simplified because of limited customization and they have a high degree of confidence that there are enough fans for the biggest brands that their risk is minimized.

03-16-2017 01:53 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
It comes down to whether the company seeking the license for that product line is interested based on the numbers and $$. Each category of product has a different blend of the percentage that goes back up the line per unit sold. These percentages differ for each bucket from school to school based on the underlying agreements in play. Often, there are multiple layers of agreements to navigate. NCAA D-1, conference, individual school...There are even different rules and limitations for the use of the C-Paw versus other UC branding. NCAA licensing can be pretty complex stuff. Moreso than pro licensing from my experience.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 02:30 PM by rath v2.0.)
03-16-2017 02:29 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-16-2017 02:29 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  It comes down to whether the company seeking the license for that product line is interested based on the numbers and $$. Each category of product has a different blend of the percentage that goes back up the line per unit sold. These percentages differ for each bucket from school to school based on the underlying agreements in play. Often, there are multiple layers of agreements to navigate. NCAA D-1, conference, individual school...There are even different rules and limitations for the use of the C-Paw versus other UC branding. NCAA licensing can be pretty complex stuff. Moreso than pro licensing from my experience.

There is a lawyer/firm in Indy (Fishers), and the guy won a landmark case regarding personal likeness imaging (you fill in the blanks) of famous people. A relative of a famous person sued companies using the famous person likeness although the person had died years and years ago. Anyway that is his practice. As an example if I started Eisenhower IPA, with tanks and planes and Ike on the beer cans marketing etc., .....if there are any Eisenhower relatives around they might be able sue and get a cut or simply put me out of business. A better example might be Elvis, or Babe Ruth.

03-16-2017 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Fubar Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Red & Black
I was part of the keep Kelly group that UC threatened. Was a humbling experience concerning supporting UC. I've also asked every where I've gone where I see other logo stuff like Macy's college watches, logo jackets in department stores, grill supplies with logos, etc why they have schools but not UC. It started out me trying to make a point, but over the years unrelated businesses had the same answer over and over. UC licensing is impossible to work with. Other schools not so much. After hearing that a dozen times from entirely different businesses I got the point.

03-19-2017 11:04 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Its not exactly licensing....you need a manufacturing and marketing company that wants to sell that product.

Start with the manufacturers who pay the licensing fees for the stuff you want to see. Get them to want to make the UC stuff and gamble it can be sold at market rates in volume and I am betting CLC will be happy to oblige.

03-19-2017 11:09 AM
Fubar Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Red & Black
Macy's specifically asked UC for the ability to make UC logo watches along with U.K., OSU, X etc they they were going to make and said after a long run around just couldn't deal with it anymore and made everyone but us. They were going to take the manufacturing chance themselves. Not the only time I've heard this.

03-19-2017 11:11 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Its not Macy's that needs to ask unless they want to negotiate their own manufacturing licensing agreement (which would be a mess for them). Its the company that has the licensing agreement that makes them and that sells them to Macy's as the retailer that needs to go to CLC. And if they have that agreement already, they have the right to make them (often exclusively).

Macy's can ask someone....just not UC, really. UC is effectively a third party in the transaction. All schools who work with a CLC, Fermata or IMG in the licensing business work like this.

03-19-2017 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.