Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Once upon a time, there was March Madness for the Dukes ...
Bookmark and Share
Oldduke Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes!
Once upon a time, there was March Madness for the Dukes ...
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 12:18 AM by Oldduke.)
03-16-2017 12:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: Once upon a time, there was March Madness for the Dukes ...
(03-16-2017 12:16 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  For those of you too young to remember, these brackets may cause you to smile ...

http://a.espncdn.com/ncaatourney/bracket...racket.pdf

A 10 seed, a 9 seed, and another 10 seed with that '83 tourney being an At Large birth for JMU. Those were the days and I don't remember anyone complaining about the lack of "up-and-down the court, chuck the ball towards the rim and hope for the best" type games. Those teams were deliberate and wasted little, somewhat like UVA's game today. The coach was respected and our players behaved.

I can vividly recall after each made bucket, the slow and well enunciated way the player's name would be called out by the game announcer. One that really stood out for me, "T-Y-R-O-N-E S-H-O-U-L-D-E-R-S".

I remember a little disappointment when moving to the Convo, we were so close to the action in Godwin, the players could feel the way we rocked the house. Moving the games across the interstate felt like we were 100 miles from the court. Students need to have the ability to sit along the baseline about 12 rows up, encouraging early arrival for the most ardent fans.
03-16-2017 06:22 AM
Rockville Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: James Madison
(03-16-2017 12:16 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  For those of you too young to remember, these brackets may cause you to smile ...

Bogus offensive foul call on Charles Fisher...cost us the natty

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
03-16-2017 10:43 PM
Rockville Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-16-2017 10:43 PM)Rockville Duke Wrote:  

Bogus offensive foul call on Charles Fisher...cost us the natty

Whole game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhTnpwuTQE
03-17-2017 02:10 PM
Advertisement

Dadgum Offline
1st String

The James Madison Dukes battling the Tarheels with Michael Jordan, James Worthy and Sam Perkins to the wire, remarkable, my how far we have fallen.
03-17-2017 02:17 PM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

Interesting enough I was listening to ESPN's Mike & Mike this morning and they were interviewing UNC's Roy Williams about the NCAA tournament. Williams said he likes close games early in the tournament because it prepares the players for tighter games deeper in the tournament.

Williams mentioned the 1982 season when he was an assistant coach for Dean Smith and how James Madison University gave them all they could handle in the opening round game. He reminded listeners of the great UNC players on the '82 team and their two point narrow victory. It was cool to get a shout out from Coach Williams.

Edit: 1983 to 1982
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2017 01:36 PM by Rock House Duke.)
03-21-2017 11:24 AM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

(03-21-2017 11:24 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Interesting enough I was listening to ESPN's Mike & Mike this morning and they were interviewing UNC's Roy Williams about the NCAA tournament. Williams said he likes close games early in the tournament because it prepares the players for tighter games deeper in the tournament.

Williams mentioned the 1983 season when he was an assistant coach for Dean Smith and how James Madison University gave them all they could handle in the opening round game. He reminded listeners of the great UNC players on the '83 team and their two point narrow victory. It was cool to get a shout out from Coach Williams.

That's awesome. It also always amazes me how coaches and players (and some of you guys on here) have such an encyclopedic knowledge of particular games and moments within them. Sure I remember some, especially when I witness them, but like a batter discussing his at bat before the game winning home run remembering each pitch and location, etc., is just crazy to me!
03-21-2017 11:37 AM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2017 11:37 AM)JMUTrippster Wrote:  
(03-21-2017 11:24 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Interesting enough I was listening to ESPN's Mike & Mike this morning and they were interviewing UNC's Roy Williams about the NCAA tournament. Williams said he likes close games early in the tournament because it prepares the players for tighter games deeper in the tournament.

Williams mentioned the 1983 season when he was an assistant coach for Dean Smith and how James Madison University gave them all they could handle in the opening round game. He reminded listeners of the great UNC players on the '83 team and their two point narrow victory. It was cool to get a shout out from Coach Williams.

That's awesome. It also always amazes me how coaches and players (and some of you guys on here) have such an encyclopedic knowledge of particular games and moments within them. Sure I remember some, especially when I witness them, but like a batter discussing his at bat before the game winning home run remembering each pitch and location, etc., is just crazy to me!

Old Roy is losing it a bit, the game he's referencing was played in 1982 and it was a second round game. Though, I'll cut him a little slack as we played the Heels again in '83, this time not so close.
03-21-2017 12:48 PM
Rockville Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-21-2017 12:48 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

Old Roy is losing it a bit, the game he's referencing was played in 1982 and it was a second round game. Though, I'll cut him a little slack as we played the Heels again in '83, this time not so close.
I heard it too. Williams actually said 82.

03-21-2017 01:30 PM
Rockville Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-21-2017 01:30 PM)Rockville Duke Wrote:  
(03-21-2017 12:48 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

I heard it too. Williams actually said 82.

About 24:25 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPxoe6mT14s

He does get it wrong by saying first round. It was actually the second round.
03-21-2017 01:43 PM
Advertisement

South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

Roy is doing just fine .. his team is playing later this week.... where as ....well it's baseball and softball for us.
03-21-2017 01:55 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
It was UNC's first game in the tournament. There were only 48 teams in the tourney then. The top 16 teams got byes. We were an at large that year! ODU beat us in the CAA/ECAC tournament on their home floor in Norfolk.

Thursday night We played Ohio State and came back from about 10 for the win and ODU played Wake and lost. The Saturday Doubleheader was Dukes and Heels and Wake and Memphis with Keith Lee.

What a great two days at the Old Charlotte Coliseum. We cut UNC's lead to 47-46 with about two minutes left but James Worthy was good. It was two weeks before Michael Jordan became a household name.

Someday we will get some magic back.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2017 02:00 PM by Dukesfan71.)
03-21-2017 01:58 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
(03-21-2017 01:58 PM)Dukesfan71 Wrote:  Someday we will get some magic back.

[Image: BTZ5SrI.gif]
03-21-2017 03:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.