Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will ASU hire the next guy on the bench?
Bookmark and Share
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Will ASU hire the next guy on the bench?
Ross Hodge looks like an excellent candidate. I assume they will, at least, make it look like they are doing a national search, but they could do a lot worse than Coach Hodge. The NC Central Coach is now finished with his season, so that could get done pretty quick if they choose to go in that direction. ASU is quite used to doing coaching searches and making sure they got a nice chunk of change when a coach leaves for another school. I can't recall if Beard had a buyout. I seem to recall a figure of 250K, which if correct, was half of McCasland's buyout. 500K is nice for ASU, but would be huge for us, since our budget is much smaller than there's.
03-15-2017 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: Will ASU hire the next guy on the bench?
I think I remember reading of a buyout when Beard left. Surely Chase included that in the contract. Seems to be that is a given now days in all coaching contracts. I am still very pleased with Chase for the job he's done as AD, even though I think he screwed the pooch in hiring Flannigan. I guess everyone is entitled to one mistake, but this one was sure a humdinger. Wish there had been something in Flannigan's contract saying. "hit the road Jack if you win less than 16 games." Had it been, we'd be doing a coaching search, and I'll bet Chase won't hire another coach without doing a search.
03-15-2017 09:30 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
We got 500K from North Texas for McCasland.

I don't know if we'll hire Hodge, but he really wants the job and has a lot of support among fans.
03-15-2017 10:49 PM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2017 10:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  We got 500K from North Texas for McCasland.

I don't know if we'll hire Hodge, but he really wants the job and has a lot of support among fans.

I assume your AD won't consult LRTrojan before he makes the hire. I would trust Terry M. to make the right decision for your program.
03-15-2017 11:17 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2017 11:17 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-15-2017 10:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  We got 500K from North Texas for McCasland.

I assume your AD won't consult LRTrojan before he makes the hire. I would trust Terry M. to make the right decision for your program.

Right Mickey, he won't consult me, because he's smart enough to know that it's always better to look over the whole crop, rather than grabbing the first tomato that begins to turn red. Every AD should keep a short list of possible candidates just in case you lose your coach, and especially one who has seen as many one and done's as ASU has had. And yes, I'd trust their AD to make the right decision, as he's done pretty well in the coaches he's hired for football and basketball.
03-16-2017 11:32 AM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

From Hoopdirt-

•Earlier in the week, I mentioned that Arkansas State associate head coach Ross Hodge could be in line to replace Grant McCasland who recently departed for North Texas. It now sounds like Hodge and the rest of the staff could be heading to UNT with McCasland. Should have more clarification here soon.
03-16-2017 04:18 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2017 04:18 PM)mjs Wrote:  From Hoopdirt-

•Earlier in the week, I mentioned that Arkansas State associate head coach Ross Hodge could be in line to replace Grant McCasland who recently departed for North Texas. It now sounds like Hodge and the rest of the staff could be heading to UNT with McCasland. Should have more clarification here soon.

That Arkansas State AD evidently doesn't want to hire a guy picking up splinters sliding down two or three seats, and want to do a search(what a clever and unique idea, wonder how he ever thought of that).
03-16-2017 05:53 PM
Advertisement

Folks25 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Little Rock
Wes swift will be a good coach for ASU.
03-17-2017 11:46 AM
Folks25 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Little Rock
Wes switch will be a good coach.
03-17-2017 11:47 AM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2017 11:47 AM)Folks25 Wrote:  Wes switch will be a good coach.

this is supposedly ASU's number choice- Would be an unbelievable hire, but he might have some better offers after ASU passed on him last season- http://www.levellemoton.com/about-levelle-moton/

Assistant Coach Hodge also looks like a strong possibility or... it might all be a smoke screen. Unless they hire Hodge now, nothing will likely be decided until after the coach's convention at the Final 4.
03-17-2017 06:21 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

Rumors now have Marshall and FAU looking at Moton. I would think Marshall might be considered a better job than ASU. I believe our own, Mike Hamrick, is still the AD there. FAU isn't, but Boca Raton is a beautiful place to live and recruit to. It is a wealthy area, and they might have a donor or 2 that might throw in some money to get the right coach there. Their oncampus gym is not much to look at, even after some renovations, but the area and nearby beach may make up for that.
03-17-2017 08:49 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2017 08:49 PM)mjs Wrote:  Rumors now have Marshall and FAU looking at Moton. I would think Marshall might be considered a better job than ASU. I believe our own, Mike Hamrick, is still the AD there. FAU isn't, but Boca Raton is a beautiful place to live and recruit to. It is a wealthy area, and they might have a donor or 2 that might throw in some money to get the right coach there. Their oncampus gym is not much to look at, even after some renovations, but the area and nearby beach may make up for that.

Disregard the above. The article that reported this, which I just saw on the internet, was written in 2014.
03-17-2017 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.