Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NC asking IRS to look into NCAA and ACC
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
NC asking IRS to look into NCAA and ACC
...on the grounds that they have exceeded the appropriate limits on lobbying as it pertains to their tax-exempt status. NC is arguing that the NCAA and ACC are going too far in their attempts to influence legislation that is not related to their core mission.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politic...20728.html

Personally I think it's a brilliant move. HB2 in and of itself did not create law or change the status quo in NC. It was an affirmation of the laws in NC prior to Charlotte's ordinance, and merely struck down Charlotte's attempt to supersede state powers. The argument is quite simple. If prior to HB2, the NCAA and ACC didn't have any 'problem' with NC's protections, yet a simple affirmation of existing laws was enough to cause the NCAA and ACC to move games, it indicates that the NCAA and ACC are attempting to influence NC legislation that is unrelated to NCAA and ACC charters. That alone would be sufficient evidence to have their tax exempt statuses revoked.
03-14-2017 07:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
RE: NC asking IRS to look into NCAA and ACC
Good.
03-14-2017 07:33 AM
ODU BLUE Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
It's about time?
03-14-2017 07:33 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
It would warm my heart to see the NCAA get the crap kicked out of it for meddling in this stuff.
03-14-2017 07:40 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
If churches cannot lobby neither should these non profit organizations
03-14-2017 07:48 AM
burkat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-14-2017 07:48 AM)solohawks Wrote:  If churches cannot lobby neither should these non profit organizations

Churches can lobby. They have the same rules as other 501c3 organizations (charities/non-profits/etc). They cannot support/oppose candidates for office, but they can legally lobby for legislation and advocate for or against political issues.
03-14-2017 08:06 AM
Advertisement

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Smile RE: NC asking IRS to look into NCAA and ACC
(03-14-2017 08:06 AM)burkat Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 07:48 AM)solohawks Wrote:  If churches cannot lobby neither should these non profit organizations

Churches can lobby. They have the same rules as other 501c3 organizations (charities/non-profits/etc). They cannot support/oppose candidates for office, but they can legally lobby for legislation and advocate for or against political issues.

It must be VERY limited lobbying to the point that the IRS considers it insubstantial to the organizations stated organizational purpose.

I believe NC's argument will be that the legislation on which the NCAA and ACC lobbied against is wholly unrelated to the organizational purpose of their bodies. Additionally, NC will argue that the removal of games for no reason other than as a means to lobby against HB2 is more than an insubstantial amount of lobbying.
03-14-2017 08:32 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

That is a slippery slope with the churches trying to force Religious laws on the books. We are supposed to be separation between state and church. We do not want to see another Salem Witch Trials again.
03-14-2017 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hood-rich Offline

(03-14-2017 08:36 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

That is a slippery slope with the churches trying to force Religious laws on the books. We are supposed to be separation between state and church. We do not want to see another Salem Witch Trials again.
when has a church tried to force a religious law in the US? how would they go about that?

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
03-14-2017 08:41 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis

A. You do not understand the constitution when it comes to the separation of church and state. You might want to read up on that.

B. The Salem Witch Trials occurred prior to the formation of the country and the constitution. Separation of church and state would have nothing to do with that, nor would it in of itself have prevented that.
03-14-2017 08:57 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Scopes monkey trials
03-14-2017 09:00 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(03-14-2017 08:41 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  

when has a church tried to force a religious law in the US? how would they go about that?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015...-gays-bill

https://www.au.org/church-state/april-20...n-uganda-s

The Pastor who helped get the kill the gay bill law past in Uganda and tried to get one through in Kenyon. Plus a law passed in Russia against gay people. This guy tried to get the same laws as a Republican platform for many years got frustrated.

http://www.metroweekly.com/2017/01/anti-...gbt-state/

Wants Trump to pass the same laws that were passed in Uganda.
03-14-2017 09:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
A number of states have been embroiled in fights in recent years over the degree to which evolution and creationism should be included in their public school curricula. Residents in the South are more likely to believe in the creationist view of the origin of humans than are those living in other regions, making it clear why the fights to have creationism addressed in the public schools might be an important political issue in that region.

Still, few scientists would agree that humans were created pretty much in their present form at one time 10,000 years ago, underscoring the ongoing discontinuity between the beliefs that many Americans hold and the general scientific consensus on this important issue.
03-14-2017 09:04 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-14-2017 09:04 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  A number of states have been embroiled in fights in recent years over the degree to which evolution and creationism should be included in their public school curricula. Residents in the South are more likely to believe in the creationist view of the origin of humans than are those living in other regions, making it clear why the fights to have creationism addressed in the public schools might be an important political issue in that region.

Still, few scientists would agree that humans were created pretty much in their present form at one time 10,000 years ago, underscoring the ongoing discontinuity between the beliefs that many Americans hold and the general scientific consensus on this important issue.

Evolution and Creationism are two completely different things that deal with two completely different preiods of time. Whenever the dopes start throwing the word evolution out there when speaking of creation, it simply proves they dont know what they are talking about.
03-14-2017 09:07 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(03-14-2017 09:07 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 09:04 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  A number of states have been embroiled in fights in recent years over the degree to which evolution and creationism should be included in their public school curricula. Residents in the South are more likely to believe in the creationist view of the origin of humans than are those living in other regions, making it clear why the fights to have creationism addressed in the public schools might be an important political issue in that region.

Evolution and Creationism are two completely different things that deal with two completely different preiods of time. Whenever the dopes start throwing the word evolution out there when speaking of creation, it simply proves they dont know what they are talking about.

Tell that to the State of Delaware

Quote:Teaching intelligent design in public school biology classes violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States (and Article I, Section 3, of the Pennsylvania State Constitution) because intelligent design is not science and "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents."

Tammy Kitzmiller, et al. v. Dover Area School District, et al. (400 F. Supp. 2d 707, Docket No. 4cv2688) was the first direct challenge brought in the United States federal courts testing a public school district policy that required the teaching of intelligent design. In October 2004, the Dover Area School District of York County, Pennsylvania, changed its biology teaching curriculum to require that intelligent design be presented as an alternative to evolution theory, and that Of Pandas and People, a textbook advocating intelligent design, was to be used as a reference book. The prominence of this textbook during the trial was such that the case is sometimes referred to as the Dover Panda Trial, a name which deliberately recalls the infamous Scopes Monkey Trial in Tennessee, 80 years earlier. The plaintiffs successfully argued that intelligent design is a form of creationism, and that the school board policy violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2017 09:15 AM by Kruciff.)
03-14-2017 09:13 AM
Hood-rich Offline

(03-14-2017 09:02 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

The Pastor who helped get the kill the gay bill law past in Uganda and tried to get one through in Kenyon. Plus a law passed in Russia against gay people. This guy tried to get the same laws as a Republican platform for many years got frustrated.

I said on the US, dummy. First link... CA "court blocks bill". You think anybody here takes that fringe group seriously?

03-14-2017 09:14 AM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(03-14-2017 09:14 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 09:02 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 08:06 AM)burkat Wrote:  Churches can lobby. They have the same rules as other 501c3 organizations (charities/non-profits/etc). They cannot support/oppose candidates for office, but they can legally lobby for legislation and advocate for or against political issues.

I said on the US, dummy. First link... CA "court blocks bill". You think anybody here takes that fringe group seriously?

I'm pretty sure all laws against homosexuality, abortion, and anti-evolution curriculum are backed by religious (and church) agenda. It's become so common in the US that no one bats an eye at it.

Fortunately, there are a lot of watch groups out there keeping the religious right in check, in accordance with the constitution.
03-14-2017 09:18 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-14-2017 09:13 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  

Quote:Teaching intelligent design in public school biology classes violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States (and Article I, Section 3, of the Pennsylvania State Constitution) because intelligent design is not science and "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents."

Tammy Kitzmiller, et al. v. Dover Area School District, et al. (400 F. Supp. 2d 707, Docket No. 4cv2688) was the first direct challenge brought in the United States federal courts testing a public school district policy that required the teaching of intelligent design. In October 2004, the Dover Area School District of York County, Pennsylvania, changed its biology teaching curriculum to require that intelligent design be presented as an alternative to evolution theory, and that Of Pandas and People, a textbook advocating intelligent design, was to be used as a reference book. The prominence of this textbook during the trial was such that the case is sometimes referred to as the Dover Panda Trial, a name which deliberately recalls the infamous Scopes Monkey Trial in Tennessee, 80 years earlier. The plaintiffs successfully argued that intelligent design is a form of creationism, and that the school board policy violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

No, Ill tell it to you, because you apparently dont get it either. ID and evolution deal with the same time period. Creation deals with the beginning.
03-14-2017 09:18 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

Also, the premise of this request is idiotic. You want the IRS to investigate the NCAA and ACC for NOT holding events in your state because of a law that they don't agree with?

That's like a cake baker suing customers for not spending their money at his/her shop, because the customers disagree with the bakers stance on simple human rights.
03-14-2017 09:22 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(03-14-2017 09:18 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 09:13 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  

No, Ill tell it to you, because you apparently dont get it either. ID and evolution deal with the same time period. Creation deals with the beginning.

You can't have intelligent design without the idea of creationism. Evolution exists apart from creationism. You can bandy words all you want, but that's the legal precedent set and the stance taken by the Supreme Court.

So bash your head on that wall for all I care. You're still wrong.
03-14-2017 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.