Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What A Difference the Newbies Make
Bookmark and Share
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
What A Difference the Newbies Make
There's always conversation around the ACC expanding with Big East teams and how much of a difference it makes, was it worth it, blah blah blah.

It's NCAA tournament time and I present you exhibit A:

Between 2006 and 2014 (9 NCAA Tournaments), the ACC had 7 teams reach the Elite Eight (UNC x5, Duke x2)

Just the last two years, 2015 and 2016, the ACC had 7 teams reach the Elite Eight (UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia, Notre Dame x2). So 4 of the 7 can be attributed to the newbies. Syracuse became the first non UNC/Duke team to make the Final Four from the ACC since Georgia Tech in 2004. I'd say the difference of the additions is significant.
03-13-2017 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

ClemVegas Offline
Banned

I Root For: Clemson
RE: What A Difference the Newbies Make
last year, Cuse beat Dayton, Middle Tenn State, and Gonzaga prior to a nice comeback win against UVA to make the final 4, where they got crushed by UNC.

i'm not sure if this final 4 run is much to get excited about. that was an easy slate of games for a seed that low.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 04:01 PM by ClemVegas.)
03-13-2017 04:00 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(03-13-2017 04:00 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  last year, Cuse beat Dayton, Middle Tenn State, and Gonzaga prior to a nice comeback win against UVA to make the final 4, where they got crushed by UNC.

i'm not sure if this final 4 run is much to get excited about. that was an easy slate of games for a seed that low.

Clemson was in the Final 4 when?
03-13-2017 04:03 PM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

i think CLemson could have made final 4 last year against those 4 teams. so could many teams. btw, CLemson beat Cuse at Cuse last year. lol

they prob shouldn't have made tournament last year so the fact they won 4 speaks to the fact they weren't in a tough bracket. they wren't even competitive against UNC.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 04:06 PM by ClemVegas.)
03-13-2017 04:04 PM

jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(03-13-2017 04:04 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  i think CLemson could have made final 4 last year against those 4 teams. so could many teams.

they prob shouldn't have made tournament last year so the fact they won 4 speaks to the fact they weren't in a tough bracket.

They beat a #1 seed to make the Final 4. Argument over.

Besides, Clemson can't even make the tourney period and you're complaining about the teams Cuse beat to make the Final 4. smh....
03-13-2017 04:06 PM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

UVA was overrated, they struggled to score at times.

my point is it is silly to gush over Cuse making the Final 4 last year if you look at who they played.

why is a UNC fan white knighting for Cuse.

i'm not complaining about Cuse, I'm simply disagreeing with you that is means a lot that they made the Final 4. their overall record was nothing to brag about.

btw, how many titles in football has UNC won? I can do random bragging as well.

how many titles would UNC have in bball if not for the academic cheating to keep players eligible?
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 04:12 PM by ClemVegas.)
03-13-2017 04:07 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(03-13-2017 04:07 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  UVA was overrated, they struggled to score at times.

my point is it is silly to gush over Cuse making the Final 4 last year if you look at who they played.

You have no point. They made the Final 4. Upsets happen. In the entire history of the tournament, only once has all for #1 seeds made the Final Four. As for UVA being overrated, I remember them being the 2nd seed in the conference tournament and almost beat us in the final. AP #4 team in the country.
03-13-2017 04:12 PM

ClemVegas Offline
Banned

i understand upsets happen but still doesn't make beating those 4 teams super impressive and then they got blown out by UNC

it doesn't make much sense to argue the ACC is better now partly b/c of a team that got lucky to be in the tournament and then won 3 games against non-P5 programs, squeaked out a win against UVA, to make the final 4.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 04:16 PM by ClemVegas.)
03-13-2017 04:13 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(03-13-2017 04:13 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  i understand upsets happen but still doesn't make beating those 4 teams super impressive and then they got blown out by UNC.

Blowouts happen or did you not see Villanova beat Oklahoma by 40 in the Final Four last year.............
03-13-2017 04:14 PM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

ok, no need to continue discussing it. reason I posted in somebody had said on another topic that Cuse making the final 4 last year was more impressiive than winning the ACC tournament. I think what Duke did this week is far more impressive than Cuse last year.

Clemson did make an elite 8 in the late 90s sometime, lost to Bobby Jackson's Minnesota team.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 04:18 PM by ClemVegas.)
03-13-2017 04:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.