Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another Week 0 Hawaii Exemption: Colorado St vs Oregon St Aug 26th
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Another Week 0 Hawaii Exemption: Colorado St vs Oregon St Aug 26th
With CSU playing at Hawaii this upcoming season, they talked Oregon St to move up the date of the game to 8/26. It'll allow CSU to have a bye game and also gives OSU a bye during a big stretch of the schedule for them.

CSU will not open their new stadium with a P5 opponent and probably a TV exposure on CBS or ESPN.

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports/ci_...egon-state

Week 0 exemptions paying dividends for the MW.
03-13-2017 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: Another Week 0 Hawaii Exemption: Colorado St vs Oregon St Aug 26th
Seems like a great move for CO St, to open the season with Oregon St in the new stadium. And yes, would think that will make it on a ESPN national cable channel.

This really seems like a great rule for Hawaii.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 02:36 PM by MplsBison.)
03-13-2017 02:35 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
While the rule would seem to exist to help Hawaii, it seems to help the schools that play them more than it does the Warriors themselves.

Hawaii still only gets six home games. OOC they get FCS Western Carolina and BYU at home, and travel to UMass and UCLA.

BYU gets a 13th game, and gets to travel to Hawaii over the Thanksgiving weekend, which is almost like a second bowl game for them (which may be important with the loss of the Poinsettia Bowl).

What Hawaii gets out of it is a second bye week. The first is between 2 road games and the second is between 2 home games. That's a modest help.
03-13-2017 02:59 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(03-13-2017 02:59 PM)ken d Wrote:  While the rule would seem to exist to help Hawaii, it seems to help the schools that play them more than it does the Warriors themselves.

Hawaii still only gets six home games. OOC they get FCS Western Carolina and BYU at home, and travel to UMass and UCLA.

I believe the Week 0 exemption is primarily meant to benefit schools playing Hawaii - to help motivate schools to make the road trip to Honolulu....which, in turn, is a direct benefit to the University of Hawaii.

(03-13-2017 02:59 PM)ken d Wrote:  BYU gets a 13th game, and gets to travel to Hawaii over the Thanksgiving weekend, which is almost like a second bowl game for them (which may be important with the loss of the Poinsettia Bowl).

BYU was also able to schedule FCS Portland St. for Week 0. This gives the Cougars a warm-up home game before LSU in Houston and a bye week after the Wisconsin home game - and three P5's in a row. BYU will still play 9 games in a row, but the team will likely be beat up after the 3 consecutive P5 games, so the bye week is probably well placed.

(03-13-2017 02:59 PM)ken d Wrote:  What Hawaii gets out of it is a second bye week. The first is between 2 road games and the second is between 2 home games. That's a modest help.

The MWC does Hawaii a solid be alternating conference home and away games. This wasn't the case before 2016.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 03:14 PM by YNot.)
03-13-2017 03:12 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Mountain West has announced game times for both of the Week Zero games their teams are hosting on August 26. Both games will be televised on CBSSN. The game at Colorado State will be the first game in CSU's new on-campus stadium.

Oregon State at Colorado State – 3:00pm ET
South Florida at San José State – 7:30pm ET

Other 2017 MWC football telecasts that have been announced are listed here.
04-05-2017 05:38 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-05-2017 05:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Mountain West has announced game times for both of the Week Zero games their teams are hosting on August 26. Both games will be televised on CBSSN. The game at Colorado State will be the first game in CSU's new on-campus stadium.

Oregon State at Colorado State – 3:00pm ET
South Florida at San José State – 7:30pm ET

Other 2017 MWC football telecasts that have been announced are listed here.

Both games? Shouldn't there be 5? Hawaii and the 4 MWC teams that play at Hawaii this year? I'll be surprised if there are MWC teams playing at Hawaii that aren't taking advantage of this TV opportunity.
04-05-2017 05:49 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

Gotta have another team to play!

Really surprised they didn't try to get OR St - CO St on an ESPN channel.

CBS Sports Net??? That's a "Sports Package Add-on" channel, if there ever was one. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 05:53 PM by MplsBison.)
04-05-2017 05:53 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
I still think the PAC should have an exclusive deal with Hawaii. Every PAC team plays AT Hawaii every year. That gives the PAC exclusive rights to week 0. Hawaii (who also gets a 13th game) plays a neutral site game at a PAC stadium every year (E.g. MWC school at closest PAC stadium).. The weekly Hawaii game could set at a fixed time to either appeal to the mainland or to Asian markets.
04-05-2017 06:33 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-05-2017 06:33 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  I still think the PAC should have an exclusive deal with Hawaii. Every PAC team plays AT Hawaii every year. That gives the PAC exclusive rights to week 0. Hawaii (who also gets a 13th game) plays a neutral site game at a PAC stadium every year (E.g. MWC school at closest PAC stadium).. The weekly Hawaii game could set at a fixed time to either appeal to the mainland or to Asian markets.

That's the definition of having your cake and eating it too don't you think? How about this: The PAC 12 invites Hawaii into the conference.
04-05-2017 09:46 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-05-2017 05:53 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Gotta have another team to play!

Really surprised they didn't try to get OR St - CO St on an ESPN channel.

CBS Sports Net??? That's a "Sports Package Add-on" channel, if there ever was one. 07-coffee3

Unfortunately for the MWC CBS--SN owns their media rights. Unless you are Boise.
04-05-2017 09:47 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

(04-05-2017 09:46 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 06:33 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  I still think the PAC should have an exclusive deal with Hawaii. Every PAC team plays AT Hawaii every year. That gives the PAC exclusive rights to week 0. Hawaii (who also gets a 13th game) plays a neutral site game at a PAC stadium every year (E.g. MWC school at closest PAC stadium).. The weekly Hawaii game could set at a fixed time to either appeal to the mainland or to Asian markets.

That's the definition of having your cake and eating it too don't you think? How about this: The PAC 12 invites Hawaii into the conference.

PAC pays for a new stadium up front. Hawaii gets a full share of PAC network revenue going forward and as an affiliate member gets a cut of all bowl revenue while having all PAC bowl tie ins.
04-06-2017 08:22 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

That would be an amazing deal for Hawaii, and no doubt they'd take it in a nanosecond, even with no formal affiliate membership in football or any kind of membership in any other sport.

Even if they paid for the new stadium themselves. Just to get even six home games a year with PAC teams, I would think would do it.

Don't think that will happen ... but nonetheless, would be amazing for Hawaii.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 10:29 AM by MplsBison.)
04-06-2017 10:28 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Details on another Week Zero game:

Stanford vs. Rice in Australia, Friday, August 25 (that's Friday on USA time; it will be Saturday in Australia), at 10 pm ET on an ESPN channel, per http://conferenceusa.com/news/2017/4/6/F....aspx?path
04-06-2017 12:15 PM
All Rams All The Time Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Colorado State
You're on to something, jrj. That would be a sweet-ass situation for the Rainbow Warriors: Host all 12 PAC schools each year, never leave the rock, full PAC revenue, become a king in the Big West with all dat munnie! Much better than the MWC and football independence.

Make it so! That could be the best possible outcome for the Warriors.
04-06-2017 03:00 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-06-2017 03:00 PM)All Rams All The Time Wrote:  You're on to something, jrj. That would be a sweet-ass situation for the Rainbow Warriors: Host all 12 PAC schools each year, never leave the rock, full PAC revenue, become a king in the Big West with all dat munnie! Much better than the MWC and football independence.

Make it so! That could be the best possible outcome for the Warriors.

It would be phenomenal. But I don't think that's what he's saying, Hawaii would have to play some neutral site games at "nearby MWC stadiums" in his proposal. He's not saying Hawaii plays 12 home games vs the PAC 12. He's saying every PAC 12 school borrows Hawaii's stadium once a year to play someone other than Hawaii.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 04:17 PM by billybobby777.)
04-06-2017 04:13 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

If Hawaii went full indy in football, which perhaps it should do anyway, there is no rule requiring it to play 13 games.

If it feathered a deal to have all 12 PAC teams play in Hawaii, and say split the game revenues with them 50/50, paid for 50% of the PAC travel expenses, and let the PAC TV deal have all the broadcasting rights to the games ... it would be quite a setup for the Warriors football team.

Could essentially recruit right with the PAC for the best islanders and probably Calif talent as well.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 04:18 PM by MplsBison.)
04-06-2017 04:17 PM
Advertisement

All Rams All The Time Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Colorado State
Thanks, BillyBobby! I'm having an Emily Latella moment: never mind. Laughing hard at myself now.

Still, there are a whole bunch of worse scenarios for the Rainbow Warriors than you've explained. That setup would give the PAC that desired foothold toward the Far East & Australia.

Emily Latella ... cracking myself up!...
04-06-2017 04:28 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-06-2017 04:17 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  If Hawaii went full indy in football, which perhaps it should do anyway, there is no rule requiring it to play 13 games.

If it feathered a deal to have all 12 PAC teams play in Hawaii, and say split the game revenues with them 50/50, paid for 50% of the PAC travel expenses, and let the PAC TV deal have all the broadcasting rights to the games ... it would be quite a setup for the Warriors football team.

Could essentially recruit right with the PAC for the best islanders and probably Calif talent as well.

Hawaii has been waiting 50 years for a PAC invite. For whatever reason, PAC won't bite. There were previous eras when Hawaii would get 2 or 3 PAC home games a year. There were previous eras 1999-2011 when Hawaii was a top 25ish bowl team, but the PAC didn't bite.
04-06-2017 05:28 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

The Hawaii rule that allows mainland schools an extra game if they travel to Hawaii also allows Hawaii a 13th game for traveling to the mainland. So what I proposed for Hawaii was:
-12 annual home games: one game versus each PAC school.
-1 annual mainland game: this game to be played at a PAC stadium. So Colorado would host CSU vs Hawaii, or BYU vs Hawaii at Utah, or SJSU vs Hawaii at Cal. PAC school gets all the gate receipts.
-Hawaii gets a new stadium which is PAC financed: this would be something like a 0% loan with a payment arrangement wherein a portion of the loan is forgiven for each year Hawaii participates in the agreement.
-Hawaii revenue: Hawaii would get a full portion of PAC network revenue with graduated equity in the network. So about 3-4M per year comparable with MWC earnings. Hawaii would NOT get a share of the ESPN/FOX or subsequent first tier deal.
-Hawaii would maintain the entirety of its local TV deal.

Hawaii would at face value have a big uphill climb for competing with PAC schools given the revenue disparity, but Hawaii has the biggest home field advantage in CFB by a distant margin, so they wouldn't be going 0-13 every year. bowl games would likely be few and far between.

Thirteen games is a tough schedule, and so I think you'd see every PAC school playing an FCS school. I'd personally like to see them throw Idaho a bone or even use those extra games to help foster UCSD along into FCS and eventual full PAC membership with Hawaii. Those WI schools would be my backup plan in case Texas/Ok never come on board.
04-06-2017 06:20 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(04-06-2017 05:28 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Hawaii has been waiting 50 years for a PAC invite. For whatever reason, PAC won't bite.

Don't think it's quite at the PAC level. In any case, not going to bring in enough TV viewers to justify giving them a full share of the TV deal.

(04-06-2017 06:20 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  The Hawaii rule that allows mainland schools an extra game if they travel to Hawaii also allows Hawaii a 13th game for traveling to the mainland. So what I proposed for Hawaii was:
-12 annual home games: one game versus each PAC school.
-1 annual mainland game: this game to be played at a PAC stadium. So Colorado would host CSU vs Hawaii, or BYU vs Hawaii at Utah, or SJSU vs Hawaii at Cal. PAC school gets all the gate receipts.
-Hawaii gets a new stadium which is PAC financed: this would be something like a 0% loan with a payment arrangement wherein a portion of the loan is forgiven for each year Hawaii participates in the agreement.
-Hawaii revenue: Hawaii would get a full portion of PAC network revenue with graduated equity in the network. So about 3-4M per year comparable with MWC earnings. Hawaii would NOT get a share of the ESPN/FOX or subsequent first tier deal.
-Hawaii would maintain the entirety of its local TV deal.

Hawaii would at face value have a big uphill climb for competing with PAC schools given the revenue disparity, but Hawaii has the biggest home field advantage in CFB by a distant margin, so they wouldn't be going 0-13 every year. bowl games would likely be few and far between.

I think this would be a better, and somewhat more realistic proposal. And by realistic, I mean perhaps a 0.1% chance instead of a 0% chance.

- 12 annual games: one game versus each PAC school, 6 home and 6 away
- for a PAC home game, the PAC team keeps 100% of game revenues, for a Hawaii home game, the PAC team gets 50% of game revenues
- Hawaii gets a new stadium, which it finances and builds on its own
- PAC would completely own the TV/internet streaming rights to every game between PAC and Hawaii, regardless where it was played, and Hawaii would get 50% of the the revenues just from those games
- Hawaii would get 0% of any other PAC revenues (TV or otherwise)

- It would be up to Hawaii and each of the visiting PAC schools to respectively decide if it wanted to play a 13th game, each season. Possibly Hawaii would bring in an FCS team for a 7th home game, some years

This last one is really a separate proposal:
- Hawaii would always get to host the Hawaii bowl, regardless of its record, against some bowl eligible team

Not going to happen, either, but I think it's more reasonable.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 09:24 AM by MplsBison.)
04-07-2017 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.