Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Largest school with no intercollegiate sports.
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
Largest school with no intercollegiate sports.
The University of Colorado Denver has an enrollment of 33,707. That is only 18 students less than CU Boulder. But the Lynx have no athletic department.
03-11-2017 12:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Erictelevision Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn hoops
RE: Largest school with no intercollegiate sports.
Do they not even have intramurals?
03-11-2017 12:18 PM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

They do have some club sports and intramurals. There are 12 club teams. In addition to traditional sports such as basketball, soccer and hockey, they also have ultimate, taekwondo and badminton. The sports emphasis at the school is fitness and lifestyle recreation.
03-11-2017 12:26 PM
_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
According to Wikipedia, they do.
03-11-2017 12:34 PM

BearcatJerry Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-11-2017 12:15 PM)lew240z Wrote:  The University of Colorado Denver has an enrollment of 33,707. That is only 18 students less than CU Boulder. But the Lynx have no athletic department.

I attended UC-D for a year and Metro State for the rest of my undergraduate time. (They, along with the Community College of Denver) occupy a single campus just outside of downtown Denver.

You need to know something about the history of all three institutions, which stems from the 1960's... They were intended to form a singular unit; in theory, one could start at CCD and get their GED and Associate's level degree. They could then either proceed into the field or continue on with their Bachelor's level degree at Metro (MSC, then MSCD, and now MSU-D). CU was looking to get into the Denver market and was worried that the new Metro State would lock them out, so they agreed to open up UC-D, which was supposed to offer Masters and Doctoral studies. UC-D students were part of the University of Colorado system and could transfer with full credits up to the main Boulder campus. UC-D originally offered degrees that were more "Professionally Oriented"...MBA's, Psychology, etc...that professionals in Denver could take while working.

As time went on, Metro State impinged a little on CCD, offering more classes for non-traditional students. UC-D started offering undergrad courses (I studied EE there for a year...). Now Metro State is also a full "University," offering Graduate and post-grad studies. Metro State competes on the NCAA-Div 2 level, but by charter is prohibited from offering football. (They have won an NCAA D2 men's BB national championship, and when I was a student, they studied going D1...) It was never intended that UC-D would ever offer scholarship, varsity sports.

Over the years there have been various schemes to merge all three schools into a single institution. One name bantered about in the late 90's was "Denver State." But these have never gained traction...in particular, the UC Board of Regents...who really drive the Colorado State Higher Education Commission...have always opposed it because they would lose UC-D AND would have another major competitor to UC in one moment. Metro has something like 28.000 students, UC-D another 30k or so...including part-time, on-line, and graduate programs...so you'd have a pretty massive school right there. But also a key part of Metro's mission was to provide a track for students who would not otherwise have access to Higher Ed. either because of economic reasons, academic reasons, or other reasons. So to become yet another, residential, "typical" university just doesn't work there either...
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 12:42 PM by BearcatJerry.)
03-11-2017 12:38 PM
MplsBison Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
CU Denver only has 18k students, total.

And a significant portion of that is for the medical & health science research campus, which is like a UCSF: entirely devoted to graduate medical training and health science research, with no other components of a comprehensive university. This is a separate campus that is not really located in Denver.

The other part shares a campus with another university and a community college, and is well described in the previous post.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 12:48 PM by MplsBison.)
03-11-2017 12:45 PM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

(03-11-2017 12:34 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  According to Wikipedia, they do.

From the "Student Life" section of that Wikipedia article:
Quote:CU Denver provides a variety of sports and recreation activities to students, faculty and staff, including personal training, intramural basketball, volleyball, soccer, squash, and tennis, and sports equipment check out for on or off campus use.

CU Denver does not have intercollegiate athletics nor does it have an athletic department. The club teams and intramurals are under a student life department with the various fitness and recreation programs and facilities.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 12:47 PM by lew240z.)
03-11-2017 12:45 PM

bluesox Offline
All American

I Root For:
BYU-Idaho? or University of Phoenix
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 12:48 PM by bluesox.)
03-11-2017 12:47 PM
_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
(03-11-2017 12:45 PM)lew240z Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 12:34 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  According to Wikipedia, they do.

From the "Student Life" section of that Wikipedia article:
Quote:CU Denver provides a variety of sports and recreation activities to students, faculty and staff, including personal training, intramural basketball, volleyball, soccer, squash, and tennis, and sports equipment check out for on or off campus use.

CU Denver does not have intercollegiate athletics nor does it have an athletic department. The club teams and intramurals are under a student life department with the various fitness and recreation programs and facilities.

Yeah, I was replying to the second guy.
03-11-2017 12:57 PM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

(03-11-2017 12:45 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  CU Denver only has 18k students, total.

And a significant portion of that is for the medical & health science research campus, which is like a UCSF: entirely devoted to graduate medical training and health science research, with no other components of a comprehensive university. This is a separate campus that is not really located in Denver.

The other part shares a campus with another university and a community college, and is well described in the previous post.

CU Denver reports enrollment by campus and not the total for the school. The Auraria Campus, near downtown, has an enrollment of 18,937, and the Anschutz Medical Campus, a few miles to the east, has an enrollment of 14,770. Total enrollment is 33,707. These numbers are as of the fall 2016 semester and are taken from the CU Denver website.
03-11-2017 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.