Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Armstrong State ending athletics after merger with Georgia Southern
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Armstrong State ending athletics after merger with Georgia Southern
Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah is ending athletics after their spring semester due to their merger with Georgia Southern University going through.

https://t.co/mlpD3u6DJA
03-07-2017 08:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: Armstrong State ending athletics after merger with Georgia Southern
(03-07-2017 08:46 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah is ending athletics after their spring semester due to their merger with Georgia Southern University going through.

https://t.co/mlpD3u6DJA

What conference does AASU play ball in?

Cheers
03-07-2017 09:05 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
If mergers take place, I could see GSC and Peach Belt might wind up merger. That could mean some schools from both conferences could move up to D1.
03-07-2017 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I'd imagine so. If you're no longer a stand alone school, you'll also not be a stand alone athletic department.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 09:22 PM by C2__.)
03-07-2017 09:22 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Are there any facilities that Georgia Southern could potentially use to play a game a year in Savannah to help unify the combined system? Maybe football would be impractical but perhaps a basketball game would be feasible.

While we're on the topic of mergers has anyone heard any more about A&M Corpus Christi?
03-07-2017 10:47 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(03-07-2017 09:20 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  If mergers take place, I could see GSC and Peach Belt might wind up merger. That could mean some schools from both conferences could move up to D1.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Good grief, No way in hades do the Gulf South and the Peach Belt merge. The Peach Belt will be at 12 members and the Gulf South will have 13 after North Alabama leaves. There MIGHT be one school in each conference with a chance at D1 but it will be a long a** time if it ever happens.
03-08-2017 12:10 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-08-2017 12:10 AM)AZcats Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 09:20 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  If mergers take place, I could see GSC and Peach Belt might wind up merger. That could mean some schools from both conferences could move up to D1.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Good grief, No way in hades do the Gulf South and the Peach Belt merge. The Peach Belt will be at 12 members and the Gulf South will have 13 after North Alabama leaves. There MIGHT be one school in each conference with a chance at D1 but it will be a long a** time if it ever happens.

I don't see the Peach Belt & GSC merging either, but for different reasons. The Peach Belt is a Div 2 version of the A10. The GSC loves their football. See a problem here? The reason Montevallo left the GSC before was because it wanted to be in a conference with similar schools, but finally left the Peach Belt recently because Montevallo missed its rivals in the GSC. (UNA, UWA). AUM joining the GSC from NAIA made the decision easy for Montevallo because AUM is a rival as well. Regardless , Montevallo & AUM are the exceptions, not the rule. You don't combine the A10 with the Big Ten/SEC, etc.

I do see Montevallo & AUM maybe making it to I-A in the future though .
03-08-2017 01:29 AM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
DavidSt is a ******* GOD. Between this and a few other threads, he's breaking a single day record for most 03-lmfao's produced than 10k+ posters will elicit in a lifetime. #AgeOfDavidSt
03-08-2017 02:22 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Several of the GSC schools are affiliate in football only.

West Alabama, Shorter, West Georgia, Valdosta State, Mississippi College,West Florida and Delta State are the only football members of the GSC.
UAH, UAM, Montevallo, Christian Brothers, Lee, Union, are non-football members.
Affiliates:
Florida Tech-Football
Spring Hill- (W)Golf, mens and women's soccer.
Young Harris- Women's LAX
North Greenville-football
Several members of GSC and Peach Belt have expressed some interest in joining D1.
03-08-2017 05:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-07-2017 10:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Are there any facilities that Georgia Southern could potentially use to play a game a year in Savannah to help unify the combined system? Maybe football would be impractical but perhaps a basketball game would be feasible.

While we're on the topic of mergers has anyone heard any more about A&M Corpus Christi?

Armstrong's arena is small (3000 seats) but fairly new so I can see it used for an occasional basketball or volleyball game. The other facilities are decent but small and probably wouldn't accommodate a Div 1 game unless they are expanded.
[Image: armstrongalumniarena201213.jpg]
03-08-2017 09:18 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(03-08-2017 09:18 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 10:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Are there any facilities that Georgia Southern could potentially use to play a game a year in Savannah to help unify the combined system? Maybe football would be impractical but perhaps a basketball game would be feasible.

Armstrong's arena is small (3000 seats) but fairly new so I can see it used for an occasional basketball or volleyball game. The other facilities are decent but small and probably wouldn't accommodate a Div 1 game unless they are expanded.
Armstrong Atlantic was part of the original group that formed the DI Big South. What happened to them to move back to DII? Augusta St also moved down too..
03-08-2017 04:09 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-08-2017 04:09 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 09:18 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

Armstrong Atlantic was part of the original group that formed the DI Big South. What happened to them to move back to DII? Augusta St also moved down too..

From what I remember they just didn't have enough fan/alumni support for the D1 move. They also had great D2 tennis and baseball but both of those struggled at the D1 level.
03-09-2017 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.