Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gary Waters
Bookmark and Share
burden Offline
All American

I Root For:
Gary Waters
Gary Waters announced his retirement today. In addition per sports talk host Les Levine Cleveland St. is considering dropping D1 basketball. Just a rumor but that would be interesting.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 06:56 PM by burden.)
03-07-2017 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Old School Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State
RE: Gary Waters
Gary deserved to go out a winner. Class guy all the way and the one who put Kent State on the basketball map. One of my all-time favorites!
03-07-2017 07:19 PM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KSU
(03-07-2017 06:55 PM)burden Wrote:  Gary Waters announced his retirement today. In addition per sports talk host Les Levine Cleveland St. is considering dropping D1 basketball. Just a rumor but that would be interesting.

I know attendance has been off and there is talk of taking down the Wolstein Center using the site and putting up something smaller - so who knows

In any case all the best to Gary - he is a fine man and did a great job putting us on the map with good kids and solid defense - all the best in the future GW - hope to see you at the MACC someday
03-07-2017 08:13 PM
burden Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-07-2017 08:13 PM)OLNWFLSH Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 06:55 PM)burden Wrote:  Gary Waters announced his retirement today. In addition per sports talk host Les Levine Cleveland St. is considering dropping D1 basketball. Just a rumor but that would be interesting.

I know attendance has been off and there is talk of taking down the Wolstein Center using the site and putting up something smaller - so who knows

In any case all the best to Gary - he is a fine man and did a great job putting us on the map with good kids and solid defense - all the best in the future GW - hope to see you at the MACC someday

He had things going pretty well at CSU too. Then he got clobbered by that senior transfer rule. He lost a lot of talent and it's never been quite the same.
03-07-2017 08:31 PM

ksur1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: kent state
(03-07-2017 08:31 PM)burden Wrote:  

He had things going pretty well at CSU too. Then he got clobbered by that senior transfer rule. He lost a lot of talent and it's never been quite the same.
Great coach and even a better person!
03-08-2017 08:57 AM
FlashPan Offline
Bench Warmer

Plain Dealer today does NOT say anything about retiring.... Hmmmmm...... says he resigned..... 03-cool
03-08-2017 09:29 AM
fallsdog Offline
1st String

Couldn't agree more. His emphasis on defense carried over and remained a staple of Kent State Basketball through Jim Christian's tenure. The paint was hard hat only zone in those days. Good memories to be sure!
03-08-2017 09:39 AM

OLNWFLSH Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KSU

I believe CSU hired former Akron AD guy Mike Thomas and he may be the one to get GW to leave - sounds like some folks in Cleveland want a high profile hire but given current economics, concern over enrollment, tuition and spending that could be tough. Keep in mind they dropped baseball and wrestling (but this was added back with support from an alum)and they added lacrosse as we and many small colleges are doing. The PD points out in their story that GW was victimized by the graduate transfer rule a couple of years ago - we were very fortunate that Jimmy Hall resisted this temptation. I spoke with Akron's KD a couple of years ago - he foresees a day when players will be able to transfer without sitting out a year
03-08-2017 10:24 AM
FlashPan Offline
Bench Warmer

Yep... Out with the old, in with the new when admin changes.
03-08-2017 11:57 AM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CSU wont get a big time hire. what big name is going to go there if there are talking about downsizing arena?

I would bet Jared Calhoun from D2 fairmount state might get this job. He's an up and comer in coaching ranks and someone I wanted us to look at if Sendy ever left.
03-08-2017 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.